• Murray-Williams keen for battle of the sexes

6/28/13 1:53 PM | Johan Lindahl
    Murray-Williams keen for battle of the sexes Andy Murray has indicated his willingness to face off with women's No. 1 Serena Williams in a Battle of the Sexes Mark II, with Williams seeming to take the Scot up on his offer.

The idea is a re-run of the 1973 match won by Billie Jean King over Bobby Riggs in 1973.

With this Wimbledon edition celebrating 40 years of the WTA, the time might be right for a re-run of the novel concept.

"He’s challenged me?,” said Williams after winning her 33rd straight match of the season to reach the third round at the All England Club. “Really? He wants to play me? Is he sure?

“That would be fun. He’s probably one of the top three people I definitely don’t want to play. Maybe we can have a little bit of a showdown, on clay. He loves grass. I do, too. But I’m going to definitely go clay.

“That would be fine. I get to use the doubles alleys, he gets no serves. And he gets no legs! If we agree all that, then maybe I could get a game off him. I’m not sure, but I think I could get a game, fingers crossed.”

Murray proposed the pairing in a BBC column: "I have been challenged by someone on Twitter to taking on Serena Williams. I'd be up for it, why not?," Murray wrote. "I've never hit with her but she's obviously an incredible player.

"I think people would be interested to see the men play against the women to see how the styles match up. It's happened in the past with Jimmy Connors and Martina Navratilova. How about Las Vegas as a venue?"

Comments

Serenais going to struggle to win games against Murray

tennis2011 , 6/28/13 2:32 PM

No, because even if they did play, as with any exho, there would be some goofing around and games donated. They wouldn't be playing all out.

Conspirator , 6/28/13 3:20 PM

Don't tell me @tennis2011 actually thought this would be a serious match...........

rafaisthebest , 6/28/13 3:47 PM

Serena looks like a man and serves like one too. Michael Wilbon from ESPN's PTI says he thinks she could win games against Murray based on her serve alone. I don't think so but I think she could take him in a wrestling match. :)

chr18 , 6/28/13 6:33 PM

Maybe she should play Fed instead. Fed's SHBH is more lady like.

Conspirator , 6/28/13 7:33 PM

Prob. won't happen. Murray's PR machine is working overtime with documentaries, etc. Murray trying,trying to make himself "likeable."

pennster , 6/28/13 8:38 PM

You probably 'won't happen' either my least favourite (which is saying something) Nadaltard.
Lame assed stalker
Lol!

Twinge , 6/28/13 10:46 PM

Too bad Twinkie, free speech as Deuce would say.
Toodles