• Federer has no fear of potential Nadal quarterfinal

6/23/13 2:57 PM | Johan Lindahl
    Federer has no fear of potential Nadal quarterfinal Roger Federer has no fear of a Wimbledon draw which could put him into a quarter-final with fifth-seeded former champion Rafael Nadal at the All England club.

As he begins the quest for an eighth title at the grand slam he loves, there are more pressing matters on the mind of the world-beating 31-year-old.

"I knew the longer Nadal was injured, the more likely this was to happen," Federer told London's Daily Mail on the even of the Championships. "If you want to win this type of tournament you need to beat the best, you’ve got to feel confident enough you can do it all.

"If the quarter-final against Rafa did come along I’m super excited. We’ve had some monster matches here in the past. Let’s see how it plays out, there are always surprise losses and wins. It was always going to be difficult to win Wimbledon, it was never going to be a walk in the park."

Nadal was seeded fifth - his ATP ranking - under the specialised mathematical formula used by Wimbledon to determine the lineup of the elite. Some have complained that the club should have boosted the Spaniard to fourth ahead of compatriot David Ferrer to avoid such a potential high-profile quarter-final.

Federer cannot be bothered with the possible permutations, he's just working to get on with his game. "It's great to be back here with a shot at defending my title 10 years on, but it’s gone by in a heartbeat it seems.

"I’m not here to get to the third round, I’m here to do exceptional stuff and make the latest stages of the tournament, going through incredible atmospheres out on Centre Court. It’s very important to me that I can compete in the big tournaments. Sometimes you think you can just rake in the wins, then you remember how hard it is to win a Grand Slam, I know that better than anyone."

Comments

After losing so many times to Rafa especially considering the last two beat downs on clay and hard court, he has learnt to accept it and therefore has nothing to be nervous about.

Besides, Fed has accomplished plenty. What's another loss to Rafa at a major since he has already lost the last five meetings.

#Vamos

Conspirator , 6/23/13 3:37 PM

5 stages of grief:

Denial;
Anger;
Depression;
Negotiation;
Acceptance.

F ed has reached the final stage.

rafaisthebest , 6/23/13 3:57 PM

I feel that if fed doesn't win this match, it'll be the beginning of the real end for him. He might play on, but it won't be the same again.

DeadManWalking , 6/23/13 4:02 PM

RITB, with old age comes wisdom. Fed has learned to accept defeat. Besides, he still looks like the GOAT when he plays weak ear caliber players. Really, in that sense, nothing has changed.

He has accomplished so much. I hope he can make it to the quarters.

#Respect

Conspirator , 6/23/13 4:06 PM

"I?m not here to get to the third round"
Translation : I'm not there to get Rosolled.
Let's hope not. :-)

chr18 , 6/23/13 4:51 PM

It seems people have already given up on Federer....even Federer himself...So he is going to lose to Rafa for sure or may even lose early...I don't know why he is playing Wimbledon if he has already accepted defeat....

netcord , 6/23/13 5:02 PM

The way fedtards are glorifying Rosol, it would be poetic justice if Fed goes out at the hands of Rosol.

phoenix , 6/23/13 5:05 PM

I have said it before and I will say it again, although I feel good about my favorite, I am not writing Fed off, not by a long shot.

rafaisthebest , 6/23/13 5:06 PM

As always, fed will be difficult to beat especially on indoor grass!!!

#IndoorGOAT

Conspirator , 6/23/13 5:22 PM

that 'come on' thing is so ridiculous. the guy is not a native english speaker, never got it...

JBeer , 6/23/13 5:23 PM

I think Federer is putting up a brave front. But he had a difficult enough time in the matchup against Nadal even at the height of his powers The vicious Nadal forehand will loop over the net and break down Federer's backhand like it always does. If he couldn't quite do it at nearly 27, he won't at nearly 32. If they met in the 2nd round or something when the courts are slick and fast, then he might have a chance.

Still I don't think most people understand that he just likes playing tennis and the life around it. So all the fans and haters alike will tell him to retire, but I expect he 'll play until he drops out of the Top 10...and his head-to-head records will all get worse, with 3 set wins to handle people like Youzhny. Federer himself said this would be a transition year. He's not stupid.

I'm looking forward to Uncle Toni spinning his nephew as the underdog if they do meet in the QF (the head to head will be conveniently forgotten :)) ...in reality Federer has not beaten anyone in the top 10 since Tsonga at the AO...Toni was dead on right when he didn't count Federer as a favourite for the French.

Bharata , 6/23/13 5:32 PM

Uncle Toni had a caveat when he rulled Fed out for the FO, he said he did not see Fed laying it all out at the FO, he saw him laying it all out at Wimby. So, Uncle Toni and Rafa are not going to take anything for granted, in fact, this is where they expect Fed to be strong.

rafaisthebest , 6/23/13 5:58 PM

Uncle tony fucks the rafa mam in the ass . They just mustnot let Rafa know about it otherwise he loses passion.
seventeen, 6/23/13 6:55 PM

If this does not get deleted and the poster banned, then we can assume that anything goes here in TT.

phoenix , 6/23/13 7:18 PM

^^phoenix, we know anything goes now at TT unfortunately. I suggest we just ignore these trolls, they are baiting us to respond in kind. Let us not give them the satisfaction. Let them troll the sewers. We talk tennis.

Vamos!

rafaisthebest , 6/23/13 7:23 PM

Poor fedbot fanboys. They really should learn to accept that tennis has evolved and passed Fed by. The poor things will have ulcers. Fed has moved on and has learned to accept the inevitable beat downs from today's top players.

He still looks like the same guy against the weak though so they should still enjoy that and learn to relax.

Breath deeply. Fed has achieved so much!!!

#Humble

Conspirator , 6/23/13 7:31 PM

I for one is just looking forward to some great matches and hope that Rafa at least makes it to the final and win!!! I'm not asking for much, am I?!!!

Monalysa , 6/24/13 12:03 AM

^^^ 7:31 PM,

Fed has slowed down considerably from his glory days, that slowness is getting converted as the 'shanks'.
But in Grass he can compete with the best, he had shown his powers last year.
there is no fun without challenges, bringon RAFA, Fed will smash him this time.

sabs , 6/24/13 7:59 AM

bringon RAFA, Fed will smash him this time.
sabs
, 6/24/13 7:59 AM

He may well beat but smash him? You also know he wont have an easy victory even if he beats him.

sanju , 6/24/13 8:23 AM

Statements like "Fed will smash him this time" is grasping at straws. He found it difficult to do in the past while at his peak, what's the logical reason that he can do it this time?

The qtrs between Rafa and Fed will depend on Rafa's racket. If he's on, there's nothing that Fed can do, and he knows it.

Vamos!

phoenix , 6/24/13 8:27 AM

The phrase "smash him" is really silly. Be careful what you wish for! :)

Nativenewyorker , 6/24/13 8:42 AM

If Fed is in God mode nothing that RAFA can do.

sabs , 6/24/13 8:57 AM

Sabs. Go on supporting your man. And hoping. But be prepared for disappointment too.

ed251137 , 6/24/13 9:31 AM

sabs,

lest you forget, god mode or not god mode, Roger "in his prime" has already been enduring the punching bag role because he can't dwell the twirling heavy balls of Rafa.

Raindrops , 6/24/13 9:55 AM

As a fan I want to see a good fight from Federer and beat Nadal convincingly.

Meek surrender is not what fans want to see, He may be earning 70Million + in endorsements. But that's for his family not for his fans.

Common Roger shows us one more time!

sabs , 6/24/13 10:12 AM

If Fed is in God mode nothing that RAFA can do.
sabs
, 6/24/13 8:57 AM

Let us not forget he seldom has been in God mode except in patches (mostly year end in both 2010 n 2011) from 2008 onwards.

sanju , 6/24/13 10:20 AM

^^^^^

I don't know where anyone gets this God mode business. When it comes to playing Rafa, Fed hasn't been in God mode for years.

Nativenewyorker , 6/24/13 10:28 AM

May I remind you all that Fed is the raining champion here.... he's won Wimbledon 7 times. As it stands, he's the man to beat, not Murray or Djokovic.
If Rafa meets him in Qtrs. it'll be an epic match, again.

Shireling , 6/24/13 10:44 AM

I know I shouldn't but... regarding this post: (seventeen , 6/23/13 6:55 PM)
I'd just like to say that 'Freedom of speech' is not the same as 'License to say whatever comes into my mind'.
Even if one's sheltered by the anonymousness of the virtual media, you should open your eyes and value yourself a little bit more. I want to think that You're better than that. There are other ways to communicate other than wanton disrespect and attack.
Luckily, most of us here still chose to adhere to ethics even if behind our virutal mask.

Shireling , 6/24/13 10:56 AM

I am not forgetting that Fed is the defending champion here, nor am I forgetting that he won Wimbledon 7 times. Even if I wanted to forget it, the Fed fans wouldn't let me!

No one is denying Fed's achievements at Wimbledon, however it's honest and fair to point out his h2h with Rafa. It's also honest, fair and reasonable to point out that he is no longer in his prime.

This God mode talk is just not realistic as to where Fed's game is at today. If he and Rafa should meet in the quarterfinals, I don't think we will see the quality of tennis from Fed that we saw in 2008. I would expect Rafa to be his usual tough self when he plays Fed.

I don't know if the match will be epic. I guess if there is one place where Fed has a shot at being competitive, then Wimbledon would be it.

I don't even like getting into these discussions, because we shouldn't take anything for granted. They both have to get there first.

Nativenewyorker , 6/24/13 11:07 AM

I'm not saying that it's going to be easy for Fed. He's lost the God aura that, in the past, won him so many matches even before they were played. We saw that in Halle where Youzny (a head-case if any) was able to take a set on grass. (I don't mention Hass because it's obvious that he can take a set from anyone on grass).
But talks about Murray being the favourite or Djokovic having an easy draw don't change the facts. Fed is the man to beat at Wimby. It's only fitting that Nadal, most likely, will have the first real chance to do so.

Shireling , 6/24/13 11:51 AM

It's the presence of Rafa that makes a draw difficult, and he can't play himself. Think about that.

Wimbledon 2013: Andy Murray escapes nightmare draw

Andy Murray's Wimbledon draw could have been better and could have been worse. At least he avoided the nightmare scenario of Rafael Nadal in his quarter. But he could still have to play him in the semi-finals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/10 136107/Wimbledon-2013-Andy-Murray-escapes-nightmare-draw.html

nadline , 6/24/13 12:08 PM

@Shireling, what these people do not realize is that every time you log onto your computer and post a comment you leave a trail which can be traced in case of need.

rafaisthebest , 6/24/13 1:01 PM

I suppose yes, but they also leave a more subjecitve and rankly trail

Shireling , 6/24/13 1:51 PM

Btw, why isn't this article called 'Nadal has no fear of potential Federer quarterfinal'?
I think it would make more sense.

Shireling , 6/24/13 3:01 PM

seventeen, 6/23/13 6:55 PM

phoenix , 6/24/13 10:52 PM

'Wimbledon 2013: Andy Murray escapes nightmare draw...' Nadline at wherever PM.

Oooooh scary nightmares indeed!
But for whom exactly?
That is the question 'innit' Nagline?

Twinge , 6/24/13 11:12 PM

I think they should title that article - Kubot escapes nightmare draw. Though, in all fairness, even Kubot would have massacred claydal.

I don't exactly see who is fearing rafa on grass? Nole who whupped him in 2011 final. Federer who has 7 wimbledons and has 2-1 H2H against rafa? or Murray who is the 2nd best grass court player since last summer?

JamesDjokovicFan , 6/25/13 12:38 AM

Hating and attacking is what you all do best, knock yourselves out all you want now, since you have nothing to say for your so called favourites anyway.
Rafa will come back strong.
#Vamos Rafa