• Raonic hopes to make grass amends at Eastbourne

6/19/13 4:04 AM | Johan Lindahl
    Raonic hopes to make grass amends at Eastbourne Milos Raonic is looking to finally make a favourable impression on new coach Ivan Ljubicic when the Canadian plays as a wild card at the pre-Wimbledon Eastbourne event.

Raonic went out in a first-round disappointment lat week in Halle wto throw his Wimbledon preparation
    behind schedule.

He and former top 5 Croatian Ljubicic have been putting in the hours on thepractise courts.

Raonic, ranked 15th, is hoping to turn his luck in a hurry before Monday's tart at the All England club, "It's a positive change to get onto the grass. I think it'll be good. But I've got a lot of work to do. I've got to get better on that surface. I need to pipe down and put in the work."

Comments

Well here's one big server who won't trouble anybody on grass. Nothing in 2 tournaments. I miss the days when a young Boris Becker could shock the tennis world. It wasn't too long ago when Raonic was being compared to Sampras. I actually think guys like Tsonga or Berdy could win Wimbledon in 5 years because the young guys are just not stepping up.

chr18 , 6/20/13 3:22 AM

I saw the latter part of Raonic's match with Dodig. He really has just hasn't been able to get it going. I can understand Raonic not doing well on clay courts where his big serve is neutralized, but what's his excuse for this flameout on grass?

I remember telling people that it was far too soon to be comparing Raonic to Sampras. Now we know why.

Nativenewyorker , 6/20/13 4:19 AM

Raonic needs to fix his head. I've seen him play great at times. Beat Muzz on clay and took Fed to three sets twice on grass with more than just his serve so he has the physical skills.

#BetweenTheEars

Conspirator , 6/20/13 4:36 AM

Ljubicic should theoretically be a good coach for Raonic, as he was a similar type of player to Milos.(an aggressive big server) so he can help him play the way he should be playing.(aggressively) His old coach was a defensive clay courter and I felt that because of this, Raonic was playing too passively at the baseline.(and given his height, defensive baseline play is not the right option.)

tj600 , 6/20/13 7:49 AM

I remember when Raonic first came on the scene and many on TT were aboard his bandwagon proclaiming him the new Sampras. As usual, I wasn't very popular for going against the grain by observing that he had no game and that I was far from impressed and thought he would just be another Karlovic, threatening with the serve and nothing else.

Many players can read his serve now which leaves him floundering with what else to do. He's got very few tools in his box.

nadline , 6/20/13 8:04 AM

@chris 18
What about JJ (Jerzy Janowitz), head not right yet but loads of talent or Cilic? Only 24, loads of time for him.
I think there's definite shifting going on, slowly but surely, inevitably...

deuce , 6/20/13 8:58 AM

@deuce,

I think you make a good point. Why are we focusing only on Raonic? As you pointed out, there are other young players who are starting to show what they can do. Jerzy is one, also Dimitrov has shown some progress with decent results, Cilic did do well for himself even though he lost in the Queens final.

I think tj600 made a good point about Ljuby possibly helping Raonic as his new coach. Sometimes that's what a young player needs if he is stuck in a rut or not progressing.

I don't know that there is a real shift just yet. I think that as long as Rafa, Murray, Nole and Fed are still in the game it's going to be tough for the young guns to break through. But there will come a time when they will have their chance.

Nativenewyorker , 6/20/13 9:09 AM

Hi NNY :)
Wasn't really thinking about top 8, was more thinking about the next layer eg Tipsy and co. Tipsy has got to the WTF twice now, but unlikely to again. So nice to see a new face there, as I always go ;)
Also watching Lopez, Baggy and co just sliding down the greasy pole - fast!

deuce , 6/20/13 9:20 AM

Hi deuce :),

I get where you are coming from. I think that top 10 or top 8 is definitely reasonable.

Lucky you for being able to go to the WTF!

It's true that Lopez, Baggy and some others including Tipsy are not faring well at all these days. But that could give a little room for the up and comers. I thought that Cilic would have done more by now. He had his best result at the 2010 AO when he made the semis. But then he seemed to fade away. It's nice to see him playing well again.

Nativenewyorker , 6/20/13 9:32 AM