• Nadal pulls out of Halle to rest his knees

6/10/13 4:25 AM | Johan Lindahl
    Nadal pulls out of Halle to rest his knees Rafael Nadal will rest his knees instead of playing as expected in the Halle grass event.

After another wildly successful clay season, the 27-year-old Spaniard said that doctors have advised him to give his dodgy knees a pause in the fortnight before Wimbledon.

"I won't be able to come to Halle this year," the world No. 4 said in a statement. "After these past months and all the matches I have been able to play my doctors have recommended to rest after Roland Garros
    and start after a few days my preparation to play on grass courts. We all know the transition is not easy and after these past months I have to approach this in a different way.

"I am very sorry for my fans in Germany and in particular in Halle since the welcome I always had there was amazing and last year, organizers also made me feel very special."

Nadal reached the quarter-finals at the grass event in 2012. Tournament officials still have an ace to play, with five-time champion Roger Federer as top seed, ahead of Richard Gasquet and Milos Raonic,
    with defending champ Tommy Haas as the defending champion and No. 3 seed.

Nadal will be replaced in the draw at the tournament whose grounds are stylized to resemble a smaller version of Wimbledon by German Mischa Zverev, ranked 142nd.

Comments

wise choice but wimbledon is very important as Nadal now leads Djokovic by 1970 points for the year end rankings and Hard courts are usually Djokovic's domain but wimbledon will be very important for the two giants.....
Looking forward to a thrilling CHAMPIONSHIPS

isfand , 6/10/13 10:15 AM

Those battered tendons are carrying all our hopes to see Nadal winning many other titles.
Vamos Rafa - 40 points to defend for the rest of the season!

Shireling , 6/10/13 10:27 AM

It would have been madness to play Halle after 9 finals n 4 months. The much earned rest is just what he needs before Wimbledon.

#Comeback kid of all time
#eight
#Club 20
V8MOS

nadline , 6/10/13 10:33 AM

agreed just need to do some thing substantial at wimbledon is my point

isfand , 6/10/13 10:40 AM

on a very interesting note Ferrer third trailing djokovic by 950 and leading murray by 1170 Federer by 1860

isfand , 6/10/13 10:43 AM

Those who are writing Rafa's HC chances are in for a rude awakening. They will be splattering in shock just like they did after Indian Wells..........

I actually have low expectations for Rafa for Wimby, simply because of the short turnaround period from RG and a lack of tune up at Halle. But Rafa will be more than ready for USOpen and Australian Open, mark my words...............

rafaisthebest , 6/10/13 10:55 AM

^^should read, "those who are writing Rafa's HC chances off............"

rafaisthebest , 6/10/13 10:57 AM

well if and only if you thought I am writting Nadal's chance OFF I am not and i dont think anybody should but Djokovic is usually a safer bet on hardcouts and history shows it and as a personal opinion I think Nadal has more chances in wimbledon than US or AO but definitely you are entitled to your opinion just the time will tell

isfand , 6/10/13 11:03 AM

and lets not forget the defending US open champion

isfand , 6/10/13 11:05 AM

well, I'm just so so happy that Rafa is back.
The win in RG SF was by a very low margin, we all know he should have won that match sooner than that but still, it gives us fans great confidence that Rafa has now burried his fears of seeing Djokovic at the other side of the court.
There's so very little margin between them that anything can happen in the next tourneys but the prospect for us Rafans is so much brighter than if he had lost to Novak at RG.
For my part I'm just going to relax and enjoy seeing Rafa compete again, whatever else he wins this year will be a bonus.
Vamos Rafa!

Shireling , 6/10/13 12:00 PM

Rafa will not stop here....he means business now...Rafa's second main goal has always been Wimby...With Rafa's level of play at the moment, his HIGH confidence and his rediscovered calmness and mental strength, Rafa is going to be the man to beat at Wimby 2013...it is going to be great watching the WAR on grass this year...I have high hopes for Rafa...and him being No5 only causes the rest of the top 10 to fear of the draw next week...it only means that Rafa will send some of those top five packing at earlier stage than envisaged....

Vamos Rafa! Bring on the beautiful green grass!

natashao , 6/10/13 12:36 PM

It would be a very tall achievement for Rafa to win Wimby as well, on the trot, coming back from those 7 months. But far from impossible. Murray, back willing, might be an at least equal favorite.

But should Rafa win it this months, where will the goalposts be moved to? And will grass be deemed boring and irrelevant?

chlorostoma , 6/10/13 1:05 PM

Vegas odds:

Djokovic 21/10
Nadal 18/5
Murray 17/4
Federer 25/4

I think they have the order just about right although I expect Rafa to upset the odds and win.

Muzza and Fed's back issues give me pause. Novak is not at his best form-wise. Rafa has RG momentum.

#ValueInRafa

rafaisthebest , 6/10/13 1:18 PM

I would be very surprised if rafa wins Wimbledon. He is very downbeat (more than usual) about his Wimbledon chances.

atul1985 , 6/10/13 1:33 PM

atul1985,
Let's try to be a bit more optimistic, huh? there's going to be plenty of bashing from the haters, us fans we need to stick together :)

Shireling , 6/10/13 2:27 PM

If Rafa is 5th, he will DEFINITELY be randomly drawn into Nole's quarter.

Also expect Rafa to have multiple Brands/Raonic giants in his eight of the bracket once more. More qualifiers, past-prime and/or wild cards for Fed (J-Block anyone?).

Remember, if the draws ain't fixed, why don't the players read the names?

If French Open had the option to move Rafa up in the seedings subjectively (which they chose not to do), why couldn't Wimby? With Rafa in the 4th seed, they could avoid the anticlimactic final that the French encountered.

#SleightOfHand
#Illusion

Conspirator , 6/10/13 2:36 PM

Wimbledon has a long established formula so it wouldn't be right for them to change it just for this one time when it doesn't seem to be working. The ATP and the ITF should thrash out a formula once and for all that recognizes past champions.

I have accepted Rafa being seeded 5th. He could end up in Ferrer's Qtr., but if he ends up with the other three I doubt that they would be happy about it.

nadline , 6/10/13 2:42 PM

Rafa has embarrassed the ATP by exposing the flaws in the ranking system. He has embarrassed the locker room by coming back from a 7 month lay off and winning in the first Slam he played. He has to be shown who's boss. Therefore fully expect him to pay for his impertinence through a tough Wimby draw. Fully agree with @Conspirator, expect to see Rosol, Brands, Klizan, Jerzy and Gulbis in Rafa's path before the quarters and then he will have Djokovic and Tsonga before a possible meeting with Muzza in the final.

rafaisthebest , 6/10/13 2:46 PM

It will be interesting, as it is every year, how Rafa will adjust his game to grass. This year he's been standing farther and farther away from the baseline when receiving, this in my opinion will be the hardest thing for him to do, to get close to that baseline.

Shireling , 6/10/13 3:28 PM

Where will Rafa train for the grass court season. I don't think there are grass courts in Manacor, so maybe at The Boodles? http://www.theboodles.com/latest-news/index.html

JBeer , 6/10/13 3:28 PM

the budget for the Rafael Nadal International Tennis Centre is already approved, the complex will have 20 tennis courts, some of them roofed.... only that it hasn't been built yet... I have a feeling some of the courts will be turfed ...

Shireling , 6/10/13 3:49 PM

It seems that there are grass courts in Mallorca. Rafa and Cristiano Ronaldo played a tennis &football on a grass court. :)

Augustina08 , 6/10/13 5:01 PM

He is very downbeat (more than usual) about his Wimbledon chances.
atul1985
, 6/10/13 1:33 PM

Where did you figure out he is downbeat Atul?

Shireling
, 6/10/13 3:28 PM

He does not stand way behind on grass. On grass he plays closer to baseline compared to clay and HC. Check his matches on grass :-)

sanju , 6/10/13 6:37 PM

I haven't heard Rafa comment on his chances at Wimbledon. So where is this downbeat info coming from? Why would Rafa be downbeat about anything? The only thing that should concern him is his knee. It was interesting that he announced the withdrawal from Halle right after that long semifinal match. I think that would be the only thing that might make Rafa concerned.

It's true that Rafa does adjust his position on grass when receiving serve. I am sure he will do so this time as well. It would be nice if there were grass courts in Mallorca. Rafa will rest a bit, but needs to get some practice in somewhere.

I am not worrying about the draw yet. Once we see it, then we may have a better sense of who should be the favorite. I do think that Murray has to be in the mix when discussing favorites. He was in the finals last year. Fed would have to be in the discussion because he is the defending champion. However, there are a lot of question marks about him right now. Maybe if he can win Halle, then he will at least have broken the title drought. Nole isn't going anywhere. He will in there fighting all the way.

Fed has the pressure now, because if he doesn't defend his points at Wimbledon, then he could drop down in the rankings to #4 or 5. The rankings right now are very close for #2 through to #5.

Nativenewyorker , 6/10/13 9:17 PM

Exactly, even if he is finalist, he may go down to No 5 as he loses 800 points. Just 800 points seperate No 3 - 5 and 1300 odd for 2-5 . If Rafa wins, he straightaway jumps to No 2

sanju , 6/11/13 5:56 AM