• Fitness a constant goal for Federer

6/4/13 3:42 AM | Johan Lindahl
    Fitness a constant goal for Federer Roger Federer credits a dedication to conditioning as one of the main reasons for his longevity in tennis.

After reaching his 36th consecutive Grand Slam quarter-final at the French Open and setting up a date with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, the 31-year-old Swiss will count more than ever on his fitness.

For Federer, keeping his body in the best shape possible is job one. "I remember very vividly the conversation I had with my conditioning coach. We said we still need the periods where we need to work out a lot, where you cannot go chase the money, the tournaments, the whatever it may be, the red carpet events. You can do some of it, but clearly it's right there in front of you.

"It's very important to not forget the big picture. I think I have been on that (focus) for almost ten years," said the holder of the all-time record of 17 Grand Slam singles titles.

Federer has had setbacks over the seasons, including a slight case of glandular fever and occasional back problems, But his worries are nothing like those of his main rivals, especially Rafael Nadal (knees) and Andy Murray (back).

"All these things make you reconsider all your decisions, I've had to take tough ones. I have had to sometimes not play for a long time and decide not to play Davis Cup sometimes, and made other decisions,
    you know, which I thought were important for my longevity.

"I'd like to stay in the game for as long as I can, or at least I gave myself the best possible opportunity."

Comments

True role model for youngsters.

sabs , 6/4/13 8:58 AM

the constant goal of all top, active athletes is fitness...thank you for this non article.

phoenix , 6/4/13 9:11 AM

He's fishing for more free chocolates from Rogie!

ed251137 , 6/4/13 12:26 PM

When has Fed not played for a long time? He had mono and never missed a match.

nadline , 6/4/13 1:04 PM

1000+ matches on ATP, never retired in a single match. Only 2 walkovers. He is the epitome of fitness.

In perhaps the best non-laver year on tour, the guy played closed to 100 matches. He went 92-5 and made 16 out of 17 tournament finals. Those 16 finals included the 5 premier tournaments on the ATP calendar and 6 masters. Super-man Federer!

Fedkovic23 , 6/4/13 3:41 PM

Super-man Fedfan23!

chlorostoma , 6/4/13 4:45 PM

Djokovic's 2011 was better - probably the best in living history. Less % wins and less matches, but competition was way higher. As good as feds 2004-2007 was, he basically had no competition except a sub-peaking nadal.

DeadManWalking , 6/4/13 5:28 PM