• Nadal savouring his successful return to tennis

5/28/13 10:49 PM | Johan Lindahl
    Nadal savouring his successful return to tennis After winning his opening match at the French Open, Rafael Nadal has paused to consider his tennis situation nearly a year after he had to step out of the game for seven months due to chronic knee injuries.

Since returning in February, the king of clay has won an ATP-leading six titles from eight tournaments, including Indian Wells on hardcourt. He comes to Roland Garros in search of a record eighth trophy.

The Spaniard, who turns 27 on Monday, said that he is feeling the joy of playing at what has to be his favourite major on the surface where he has long dominated. "I'm delighted to be able to play once again, in a Grand Slam tournament, and that's the honest truth after having been far from the court for such a long time, but, you know, I'm delighted," he said after beating German Daniel Brands.

"I'm happy to be able to play here at Roland Garros, and I was delighted to be able to play at Viña del Mar at the Open 500, Acapulco, and Monte Carlo. This is another step forward. I'm happy with the situation as it currently stands."

Nadal said that neither he nor his team could have imagined such a run of form when he stepped back onto court three months ago. "That's why I'm savouring every moment. What's happened is behind me, each passing day is a little less tension. I've done more than I could possibly have dreamt about doing only a few months back."

Comments

Okay, I didn't know anything about Klizan, but what I read he said about Rafa is enough for me: I hate him, I hope Rafa fills his nostrils with red clay tomorrow:

http://www.onthegotennis.com/home/10-things-you-should-kn ow-about-martin-klizan.html

His answer to question 3 is all the reason I need to root against him.

Sorry @ed251137, haven't gotten round to doing the thingy you asked me to do with links yet.....

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 8:39 AM

ritb
still no presser transcript?

rafaelo , 5/29/13 8:49 AM

Oh no he didn't! I got to #3 and that was it for me! You just don't say something like that especially when you are a nobody and have done nothing in the sport yet.

I just look for the extra space and then delete it so the link will come up.

This guy is bad news.

Nativenewyorker , 5/29/13 8:57 AM

Sorry @rafaelo, didn't know you'd asked for the presser transcript. Will check my usual sources and revert.....

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 9:23 AM

6 ft 3 in, born in 1989, favorite surface clay, I can see another scare for Rafa... and I bet he is a hard hitter...

childishgambino , 5/29/13 9:53 AM

rafaelo , 5/29/13 10:25 AM

I never discredit anyone from the alleged comments on a presser.
One thing is to hear it live and make your own assessment, if you understand the original language.
If not, it's best not to pass judgement too hastily otherwise we fall in the ever-going trap.

Shireling , 5/29/13 10:35 AM

childishgambino , 5/29/13 9:53 AM
You might be right, I mean the guy beat Tsonga in the USO and has already won - the Junior - RG, so obviously he's a natural.
Nevertheless, I think he's also bound for a scare or two.

Shireling , 5/29/13 10:38 AM

ritb: do you know the expression 'to have a mouth as long as the Mersey Tunnel'?

nny: of course I know about looking for the gap! It's not always that simple!
It was obvious in the above link but sometimes it takes a while to find it, or one misses it completely. It depends on where it falls.

Cue for snide remarks about old ladies and poor eyesight. lol.

ed251137 , 5/29/13 10:43 AM

I am already afraid of this klizan! :D

rafaelo , 5/29/13 10:45 AM

ed251137, 5/29/13 10:43 AM,

My comment about looking for the gap wasn't directed at you. It was just what I try to do. Sometimes I can find it, sometimes I can't. It is a pain as you said.

Oh yes, no doubt this will be reason to trash older women again. It doesn't take much.

rafaelo, 5/29/13 10:45 AM

Try to have faith in Rafa. He has already survived one of these guys. He will get better with every match. It's best three out of five. Rafa always finds a way.

Nativenewyorker , 5/29/13 10:58 AM

If Rafa comes out slowly Klizan might take the first set but that will be his lot.

ed251137 , 5/29/13 10:59 AM

ed,

That could happen, but I am thinking that Rafa will be better prepared. I don't think he will be as nervous as he was in his first match. He got that out of the way and managed to get a strong come from behind victory. He has that confidence to draw upon in this next match.

Rafa has to be able to break this guy's serve. He wasn't able to break Brands for the first two sets. These guys can't keep it up because Rafa wears them down both mentally and physically.

Nativenewyorker , 5/29/13 11:09 AM

does anybody know at what time Rafa plays (does he play today?) I can't find the schedule of the day on the RG page.

Shireling , 5/29/13 11:21 AM

What time is Rafa due on court today?

rafakid , 5/29/13 12:21 PM

I didn't think Rafa was scheduled for today. In any case matches will be running late because of yesterday's rain delays. It's sunny for the moment but heavy rain is forecast for later on.

ed251137 , 5/29/13 12:28 PM

ed251137 , 5/29/13 10:43 AM

Hmmm, let me guess....

It means.....liar! Guilty as charged, hehehehe!

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 12:33 PM

just saw the schedule, Rafa doesn't play today. But Roger does on court 2 after Raonic-Llodra. The match of the day is surely Monfils-Gulbis

Shireling , 5/29/13 12:34 PM

rafa's match is tomorrow!

rafaelo , 5/29/13 12:34 PM

ed251137, I shortened the link just for you! Please check it to see that it works, and confirm!

Sigh, the things I do for love..............

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 12:40 PM

Gulbis monfils is going to be a cracker! But will monfils have anything left in the tank after beating birdman? I really thought Rafa would have been playing today on my day off from work oh well! I'll have to stream it tomorrow

rafakid , 5/29/13 12:43 PM

@rafaelo, I cannot see a transcript but videos galore! Suggest you visit the Roland Garros website, you will see the presser vid there.

cheers.

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 12:51 PM

ritb: Congratulations! You have now arrived at the cutting edge of technology. Pity TT cant do the same.

Shirling: The RG site is incredibly cumbersome and everything takes for ever to load
but this link might, just might, take you directly to the schedule of play. No Rafa today however.

ed251137 , 5/29/13 12:53 PM

thx ed251137.. eventually found it but your're right, it takes forever to load.
Go and check the Ferrer-Montanes thread if you have nothing else to do at the moment (and if you're interested).. I posted something about a Gulbis' interview, he leaves no-one standing :) (can't be bothered to type it again here)

Shireling , 5/29/13 12:57 PM

thanks ritb
I have watched it, but it is just two questions!

rafaelo , 5/29/13 1:03 PM

Rafa's quarter is really interesting. Paire is through for a potential meeting with Rafa............

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 2:31 PM

Yes the French love throwing hard hitters at Rafa to try to take away his rhythm as I predicted (Brands, Klizan, Rosol and Janowicz potentially). Not like the qualifiers some players get.

That said, for Rafa...

#NID
#VamosGOAT

Conspirator , 5/29/13 3:04 PM

There is an added benefit to Rafa playing all these ball bashers at RG, good prep for Wimby!

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 3:16 PM

funny how nobody is really talking about the article on this thread :) it's really just a place-holder for us fan to talk about Nadal issues...
Good point ritb, but at the risk of being sent packing if Rafa has an off day (which he's never had at RG)... we live dangerously

Shireling , 5/29/13 3:48 PM

Unbelievable, they are now reduced to publishing manuals on how to beat Rafa:

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 5:15 PM

ritb, don't worry ;)
it's just a ridiculous shortsighted thinking;)
it's not something special;)

rafaelo , 5/29/13 6:11 PM

the concern is that klizan is a lefty and nadal's topspin forehands just land on klizan's forehand and give him the opportunity to hit big whit is forehand most of the time! rafa have to go with DTL and inside out, and using lots of slices!

rafaelo , 5/29/13 6:22 PM

Rafa now knows he has to be aggressive from the get-go so I am not worried about tomorrow.......Rafa will find a solution.

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 6:31 PM

How come you guys are so sure? :D I like it :D and wish I was just like you :D

rafaelo , 5/29/13 6:40 PM

You clearly haven't been tortured on the rack and lived to tell the tale as often as we have :-)

ed251137 , 5/29/13 6:47 PM

Rafa will deal with Klizan, no worries about it...it's just ridiculous to see how all these big hitters that could trouble Rafa end up in his draw...and Nole in semis...this year FO is pure conspiracy and pathetic attempt to dethrone Rafa...

Rafa will show them all what he is made of!

Vamos Rafa!

natashao , 5/29/13 6:50 PM

^^^what do you mean?

rafaelo , 5/29/13 6:51 PM

76-1. That's how.

#GOAT

Conspirator , 5/29/13 6:56 PM

I learned from rafa not to be arrogant ;)

rafaelo , 5/29/13 6:59 PM

learnt!!!!! :))))

rafaelo , 5/29/13 7:05 PM

Well, someone has to be! ;)

#HUM8LE

Conspirator , 5/29/13 7:52 PM

rafaelo: I was referring to the torture Rafa puts us through on the way to his wins.
Years of nailbiting moments of will he, or wont he fight his way back have aged all his fans. I apologise if that was an unfortunate choice of words.

ed251137 , 5/29/13 8:10 PM

ed251137, 5/29/13 6:47 PM,

So very true! Rafa seems to savor these matches where he can be on the brink. I don't know how he does it, but it's just another reason why he is like no one else.

Nativenewyorker , 5/29/13 8:10 PM

but i think I have experienced it as well! it's 6 years ;) since 2007

rafaelo , 5/29/13 8:11 PM

Rafa is 3rd on Lenglen:

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 8:13 PM

@ed, no I got you! but I think it doesn't make the heartbeat any lesser :D

rafaelo , 5/29/13 8:16 PM

I am praying he spares us tomorrow. A 62 60 63 scoreline would be nice............

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 8:16 PM

Amen :D

rafaelo , 5/29/13 8:32 PM

Did anyone hear about the forecast for tomorrow? It was supposed to be bad today, but now they are saying it's going to be raining tomorrow. Rafa's match is the third one. So we have to keep an eye on the weather and hope he can get his match played.

After that the forecast is supposed to be sunny.

Nativenewyorker , 5/29/13 8:48 PM

it's rainy after 1pm!

rafaelo , 5/29/13 8:53 PM

Fingers crossed.............

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 9:10 PM

The forecast is for intermittent rain but the showers are very localised so there is no way of knowing how badly RG will be affected.

I have to go out at about 5pm tomorrow so if there are any rain delays I doubt I will see any of Rafa's match.

ed251137 , 5/29/13 9:12 PM

Rafa is a genius, now we know why he signed up with PokerStars:

"Tennis, O'Shannessy reckons, is half chess, half poker. Some of the sport is about moves and countermoves and grasping strategy. But it's also about knowing the percentages."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20130529/french-open-sere na-williams-maria-sharapova-analytics/#ixzz2Ui8TrpUX

rafaisthebest , 5/29/13 9:17 PM