• Federer comes aboard with Twitter account

5/26/13 4:25 AM | Johan Lindahl
    Federer comes aboard with Twitter account Roger Federer has finally joined Twitter, gaining more than 170,000 followers within half a day of sending his first tweet.

The second seed at the French Open was a relative latecomer to the social media scene but looks likely to quickly catch up with Serb Novak Djokovic, who boasts more than 1.8 million followers.

Federer said that he approached the Twitterverse with caution but is now happy to try it out. "It's early stages, clearly, so we'll see how much I'll do," he said as he prepared for the clay-court major that he won in 2009, interrupting the string of successes of rival Rafael Nadal.

"It's really connecting with the fans on a different platform than what I've done in the past. I wanted to see, just myself, how does it really work for the other players and other athletes and other people around the world."

Federer has been communicating on a modest basis on Facebook and through his website and charity foundation. Adding the popular Twitter platform seemed only logical. "I wasn't sure in the beginning, to be honest. For me to enter that right away was not the right thing to do. I wanted to first wait and see and only do it when I felt very comfortable and not get pushed into it by someone."

Comments

Finally! Something he can still compete with.

#DoingTheLaughingz

Conspirator , 5/26/13 3:29 PM

Federer's got a lot of catching up to do with Rafa having 4.3m followers.

nadline , 5/26/13 3:37 PM

So..............Federer:

- Changes his hairstyle
- Joins Twitter;
- Changes his tactics against Rafa (to no avail, it must be said);

Mid-life crisis, much?

rafaisthebest , 5/26/13 3:37 PM

Lol ritb that made me laugh. if this is a crisis then I hope my mid life crisis is similar! His hair looks great I think, much smarter and streamline.

brothdog , 5/26/13 8:33 PM

May be @dull will change his butt-picking habit for audience relief!!

#PigRulesClay

KMA , 5/26/13 8:46 PM

Rafa will say KMA, KMA!

holdserve , 5/26/13 8:48 PM

Fed plays Devverman next.

nadline , 5/26/13 9:43 PM

Not easy being GOAT...............

rafaisthebest , 5/26/13 9:49 PM

"Rafa will say KMA,"

If only he can get time from shoving his fingers down that b-hole giving himself an every-minute colonoscopy!

@seventeen:

You have to pardon the rafalings - their already messed up brains were beaten to a pulp when that All-time tennis great Rosol thrashed rafa in the 2nd round.

JamesDjokovicFan , 5/27/13 5:52 AM

seventeen,

of course Rafa can't touch your so called TMF not because he is superior but Rafa prefers to kick your so called TMF at his ass with great force making your man dive haplessly to the ground and face first (you get the clear picture?). Keep tune fedfarts as you will hear more humiliations of your TMF at the perilous hands of his God -----> Rafa.

Raindrops , 5/27/13 12:11 PM