• Berdych stuns Djokovic in thrilling comeback victory in Rome

5/17/13 4:55 PM | Cheryl Murray
    Berdych stuns Djokovic in thrilling comeback victory in Rome Tomas Berdych recorded the comeback of the tournament so far with a shocking three-set victory over world No. 1 Novak Djokovic.

Tomas Berdych secured only his second-ever win over Novak Djokovic with a 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 win over the world No. 1.

For all of the first set and a fair bit of the second, Djokovic ruled this quarterfinal match with an iron fist. The Serb cracked the ball from the baseline, bullying Berdych and generally keeping the Czech out of the match.

Djokovic danced through the second set as easily as he had in the first and amassed a 5-2 lead over Berdych. The world No. 6 managed to hold for 3-5, but Djokovic hadn't even faced a break point and the match win seemed a foregone conclusion.

Berdych had other ideas.

Inexplicably, Djokovic played a tentative game and Berdych seized his chance to earn the break back. From that point, the match swung wildly and completely in Berdych's direction. Djokovic was broken again at 5-5 and Berdych became the unlikely holder of the second set.

The wheels continued to fall off the Djokovic cart in the third. The top seed held for the first game, but Berdych got the break in his next one. Berdych had a few bobbles in his own service games as he tried to hold onto the lead, but he managed to just hold onto the break.

There was a glimmer of hope for the Djokovic camp, as Berdych gave up a 40-0 lead while trying to serve out the match. Djokovic clawed his way back to deuce, but a pair of great serves gave the Czech the win.

Berdych will take on the winner of Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer in the semifinals.

Comments

What hell .

rogervic , 5/18/13 1:26 AM

So, I set my alarm clock at 10 to 6 am. It's 6:2 for Nole and I am thinking, ah, usual business. Some twenty minutes later or so, it's already 5:2 for Nole, I take a look at the clock and am pretty happy that the match is over in a minute or two and maybe I have another 30-40 minutes of sleep before I have to take kids to school, go to doctor, back to school to volunteer and so on. And then, it is 5:3, 30- something, Nole is about to serve. Somebody screams from the crowd just as he swings. He stops. He is about to serve again, and another lunatic srceams "Noleeee!". He stops again. The third time he does serve but loses the point and from then on, everything goes downhill.

I don't know how to explain this. I didn't even want to watch the third set. I understand being thrown off for a game or two or three. But loosing like that the whole set and then the match...!? Sorry. Mentally, something is not right. Reminds me of the match with Querrey in Paris. But then, he had a valid reason his father being on the verge of death. What could be the reason now? Nothing. He allowed Berdy into the match, just like with Sam and Melzer in QF of RG.

Nole may have a game still. But whether he still has the head remains to be seen in RG.

danica , 5/18/13 2:58 AM

danica, honestly I am at a loss t explain this also. I watched the entire match and once Berdych started pressing, Nole just...deflated. He lost concentration and he got frustrated and he just generally played mediocre tennis. I just don't understand why. I mean, Berdych has come from down and almost out before (specifically Federer at Wimbledon), but it's not like he's one of the most mentally tough on tour or anything.

It was really, really strange.

cherylmurray , 5/18/13 3:47 AM

I think you're confusing Berdy with Tsonga who came from 2 sets down at Wimbledon in 2011. The year before Berdy was in control before winning in 4.

chr18 , 5/18/13 4:02 AM

hmm...I think you're right, chr. Got the Fed losses confused with each other.

cherylmurray , 5/18/13 4:33 AM

Maybe she was talking about the berdych/Federer match in Dubai, where I believe Tomas saved a match point. But berdych isn't mentally tough on anyones standards.

tj600 , 5/18/13 4:33 AM

I finally got to watch my recording of the match. I wanted to focus on the second set to see what happened. Berdy broke Nole when he was serving for the second set and he did it with some brilliant shots. He was blasting his dtl forehand and backhand for winners. I thought that Berdy was the one dictating most of the rallies. He just seemed to step up and take the initiative when it was 5-5. That's when he broke Nole again. Then he served it out for the set.

But I honestly can say that I didn't think Nole played poorly. I did think Berdy was focused and sharp with his groundstrokes. As surprising as it may seem, I think in the second set Berdy was the more mentally tough player. Nole just didn't seem to be mentally sharp. I can't say for sure but something wasn't right with him.

You just don't see Nole losing matches like that. I can understand why danica was so shocked when he lost. It's not like he was totally outplayed by Berdy. He was in control in the first set and it's just not like him to let it get away from him. Berdy hasn't had much success against Nole. I just have to give credit to Berdy for keeping it together and getting the win.

Nativenewyorker , 5/18/13 5:06 AM

NNY,
absolutely! Credit needs to be given where credit is due! The fact that Nole mentally disintegrated does not diminish his opponent's win. Berdy had a tough loss in Madrid against Wawrinka and surely learnt something from that. Nole again failed to serve out the match. This is happening quite often now.

The loss itself is not shocking. Losses are part of the sport and Berdych is #6-7 in the world. There is no shame in losing to a great opponent. But like this?

danica , 5/18/13 5:27 AM

There is a part of the court which Nole likes to stand on while serving which was uneven and Nole complained to the Umpire about it but the Umpire said it could not be fixed mis match. He complained about the same spot in his previous match. The difference is that in the Berdy match he let it fester and affect his concentration. When he was serving for the match he again pointed to the spot and shook his head in disgust. Then you had the 2 yobs who interrupted his service motion. He just lost focus. And this coincided with Berdy getting his focus back!

The signs were in Madrid. Now we know the way he let rip at the crowd was not just unprofessional, it was a sign there was some fragility there mentally. And we thought this was a thing of the past for Nole. Let's wait and see how he responds at RG.

And all those still crowing about his win at MC, is it too late to remind you that he beat a Rafa on the comeback trail, that Rafa losing to anyone at this point would not be a complete surprise, that it is a measure of his greatness he is winning as much as he is doing? Rafa is not yet at 100% .............

rafaisthebest , 5/18/13 5:49 AM

RITB,
yes, there was the hole on the court. But I believe that you have to adapt to the circumstances on the court - wind, holes, rain, whistles from the crowd, a good game from the player across the net... What does it mean there was a hole? He can not move a step here and there?

danica , 5/18/13 6:15 AM

Danica, this is why I said there is a mental fragility in Novak right now, why, we do not know. Another thing, this hole in the court does not appear to have been noticed by other players, at least I never heard complaints from others! But Novak pointed it out to the umpire in his match against Berdy and during his first match also! So the questions are many. Why was he the only one affected by this "hole"? Why not adjust your position? Why let it affect your focus?

Personally, I am withholding judgment until I see his response at RG.

rafaisthebest , 5/18/13 6:23 AM

ritb: Could it be possible both Nole and Rafa are playing bluff and double bluff? It has happened at Cinnci and Montreal when players seem to conceal their form and then come storming out of the gates when they get to New York. They could both be keeping developments in their game under wraps.

#Rafa's2010Serve

ed251137 , 5/18/13 8:30 AM

ROLF

If you believe that, you'll believe anything. So you are saying that you truly believe that Nole was serving for the match at 5:3 in the 2nd set and he decided - 'you know what, I want to lose this match so people can't see how good I am heading to RG. so I'll take this match to 3 sets and let Berdy get the win.'

People forget that the guy at the other side of the net have a say as well.

#Doubled up with laughter.

nadline , 5/18/13 9:46 AM

Oh! Rafa decided that he would allow Gulbis to blow his off the court in the first set, then try and claw his way back to win in three just to pull the wool over people's eyes about his form.

#wow!

nadline , 5/18/13 9:50 AM

ed251137 , 5/18/13 8:30 AM

To be honest, no I do not buy the possum arguments at all. As nadline points out, why wait until you are serving for the match to decide to tank, because that is what it would be? After the Madrid debacle I believe Novak wanted to make a winning statement in Rome and I believe he wanted to make that statement in the semis by beating Rafa.

Novak did not tank that match, you only have to see some of the gets he made in the 3rd set, he was shocked, no question.

As for Rafa, I have never sensed him tanking a match. He wants to win every match. Look, there are so many avenues available to these pros to not play if they do not want to.............

rafaisthebest , 5/18/13 10:02 AM

I have made my feelings clear on his issue. I do not believe that any of the top players would ever tank a match. In this case, Novak had every reason to want to win this match and meet Rafa in the semis. He already had one victory over Rafa at MC. What better way to get the psychological advantage over Rafa than to meet him again and get another win right before RG?

I don't think the top players hide anything regarding their form. When Rafa came into the 2010 USO with that big serve, the reason he didn't use it at Toronto/Montreal or Cincy is that he was concerned about having another stomach muscle tear like he did in the 2009 USO. He was just coming back from more knee treatment after Wimbledon and didn't have much time to practice. So he came into the warmup tournaments for the USO pretty rusty. He wasn't going to take any chances when the big prize was winning the USO.

As ritb said, why would Novak wait until he was serving for the match to tank? I also think that that he played well in that match. Berdy was on fire in the third set. He also raised his level of play in that second set to take it from Novak.

We know all about Rafa. It's not in him to tank a match. He fights too hard.

Nativenewyorker , 5/18/13 10:11 AM

.......and just to add, even with his current poor form, I believe Novak is still the one man who can derail Rafa's RG. Do not write him off yet!

However, this is not the lead-up he wanted..............

rafaisthebest , 5/18/13 10:12 AM

Put it this way, losing to Dimitrov and Berdych in the early rounds gives other players the belief that they can upset Novak in the early rounds of RG. We know what belief can do to a player, it can be that extra something needed to win. Does Novak really want to worry about that, in addition to worrying about how to dislodge Rafa? I don't think so.

rafaisthebest , 5/18/13 10:34 AM

@People forget that the guy at the other side of the net have a say as well.

#Doubled up with laughter.
nadline , 5/18/13 9:46 AM

Agree with you. I don't understand why it's so difficult for some tenis fans to give credit to those players who are ranked below 4 for beating a top 4 player. Berdych has game and can play on all surfaces, plus he has played close matches against top 4 players. His problem is lack of focus and possibly nerves that come into play at the crucual times. I'v noticed that he's acquired a lot more self-belief since he switches coaches. Who knows, he could possibly win a slam if the card are shuffled in his favor.

And, for those who are believing that some of the players are deliberately withholding their form but will reveal same at RG, that's ludicrous. It's obvious some posters have never played the sport. To do such a thing would be tantamount to tennis suicide, coz their muscle memory would become very messed up. Tennis is not poker or chess that one would dliberately play a wrong move.

scoretracker , 5/18/13 11:22 AM

Boring

rogervic , 5/18/13 5:20 PM

RogerLoverF, for me as troll sad day when need to combine name like this.

Hope I not have call me rafitrov one day.

Sorry for you. Punchbag old man.

hawkeye , 5/18/13 5:38 PM

nadal = slave to uncle young-man :)

Fedkovic23 , 5/18/13 5:51 PM

#Yawn
#10-20
#PDFFT

Conspirator , 5/18/13 6:14 PM

Re: the responses to my comment @ 5/18/13 8:30 AM

At no point did I suggest either Nole or Rafa were tanking: or have ever tanked a match come to that. But there are times when players have an eye on the bigger picture and are not always prepared to spill their guts on the court (Rafa excepted). You only have to look at what happens at the Paris Masters each year. Does anyone believe it was sheer coincidence only one out of the top 8 seeded players got past the QFs last year?

I happen to think we will see a much higher level of tennis from Nole at RG than has been evident recently: and that Rafa is very nearly back to his best - something which has not always been glaringly obvious until this weekend.

We know Djokovic is even more desperate than ever to win: and Rafa is even more determined to thwart him. My hypothesis was that there might be a degree of gamemanship going on with both men bluffing about the true state of their game.

Rather than pouring scorn on what afterall is a hypothesis and not a statement of fact, perhaps somebody would care to put forwad an alternative explanation for the lack of consistency from both men over the past few weeks.

ed251137 , 5/19/13 9:16 PM

No explanation needed. It is not in the gift of players to play or not play well on a certain day. It's naive to think that they can win or lose at will.

nadline , 5/19/13 9:31 PM

ed251137 , 5/19/13 9:16 PM

Rafa: He is finding his form after a long lay off. I think you will agree that his form has improved markedly from MC to Rome. He is finding his feel, feet.

Nole: There is a mental fragility we thought had been cured and we cannot explain. Madrid was a shock to Novak. He is focussed on RG and this means laying a marker, mentally, on Rafa going into Paris. For him, MC was the start, Madrid and Rome offered an opportunity to consolidate. Novak overpowered Rafa mentally in 2011 and that was the basis for that year's success. To get RG2013 he needed to do that again leading into the tournament. After the Madrid debacle, coupled with the paranoid assertions (which I am sure Novak bought into) that the Madrid crowd booed him to aid Rafa, Novak had extra motivation to "right" the ship in Rome and the draw held out the opportunity to drive the stake into Rafa's heart in the semis. Beating Rafa in Rome in the semis would have sent out a statement to Rafa. Why pass the opportunity? He did not choose to pass the oppotunity, he was taken out by a red hot Berdy.

rafaisthebest , 5/19/13 10:40 PM

ritb/nadline: Point taken. You two have well and truly torpedoed the hypothesis. Consider it knocked on the head as from now ;-)

If Nole's mental strength is suspect, and he's allowing crowd reaction to unsettle him, then he's going to have problems in Paris if he plays any of the local boys. You need tough nerves for that as Rafa can testify!!!!!!!!

ed251137 , 5/20/13 1:24 AM

ed,

I didn't ridicule your hypothesis. I just gave my reasons why I thought differently. For what it's worth, you aren't the only one to come up with that explanation for Novak losing to Berdy in the quarterfinals. There was a poster on another tennis site who brought it up and took it even further. This person said that by beating Rafa at MC, Novak got what he needed. With this person's scenario, Novak played just enough to know that the ankle was okay, his game was good and then proceeded to lose the match to Berdy. This person also said that this information was confirmed by the Djokovic camp. I found that part absolutely laughable! If for any reason this scenario was true, the Djokovic camp would never say so to anyone, much less some person posting on a tennis forum. The idea was that Novak wanted to be fresh for RG and not kill himself by trying to beat Rafa in the semis. Someone brought up Novak winning both Madrid and Rome and then this person said- but he didn't win RG that year. Of course, the reason why is because Fed played probably his best match of the year in the semis to beat Novak.

Of course, I completely disagree with the above referenced scenario. As ritb said so well, Novak would have wanted to get another crack at Rafa and hand him another loss to really shake his confidence before RG. Novak would also want to have momentum going into RG. This idea that the #1 player would save himself and tank a Masters match leading into the only clay slam of the year, simply makes no sense.

I agree with ritb that there is some mental issue going on with Novak. Maybe that shocking loss to Dimitrov early in Madrid did some damage. I sensed that for some reason, Novak just wasn't there mentally in the latter stages of the second set. Berdy stepped it up and played outstanding tennis to take that second set and then the third. I am not sure what's going on with Novak. It may be just a blip on the radar. We will have to see what happens at RG. I still think that Novak has a shot at RG, but there is no question now that Rafa is going in as the favorite with real confidence and momentum.

However, I don't think there's anything wrong with positing a scenario. That's what makes for interesting discussions! :)

Nativenewyorker , 5/20/13 3:35 AM

In best of 3 almost anything can happen. In best of 5, cream tends to rise to the top.
Don't think Nole was keeping his powder dry. Think he'd already got into the next round in his head, which of course is tennis suicide against a player of Berdych's calibre.

deuce , 5/20/13 7:25 AM

Deuce/NNY: I still find it puzzling that the world No.l managed to lose in two Masters in quick succession. I mean Dimitrov could barely stand upright during the third set in Madrid and was a sitting duck. In Rome, as you suggest, it does seem he simply underestimated the Berdy resolve and was taken by surprise by his comeback.

Whatever, those losses will serve as a wake-up call for Nole and a timely reminder not to be lulled into a false sense of security by a long-standing, lop-sided H2H.

It remains to be seen if Nole still truly believes he can wrest the RG crown from Rafa.

ed251137 , 5/20/13 11:12 AM

ed251137, do not understand what they say about tennis being both a physical and mental game. Being and remaining at the top is mentally demanding, not to mention the pressure of being the marked man week in week out. How you handle this pressure is what separates the men from the boys. Not saying Nole has cracked or he is now suddenly a mental midget, just saying a small lapse in concentration, against the top guys, can cost you dear.

I hink the Dimitrov match, Novak had no business losing, Dimitrov had cracked physically. The Berdy match, as you say, he underestimated the improvements Berdy had made to his own mental game. Small differences.........

rafaisthebest , 5/20/13 12:20 PM

^^^should be "do not underestimate......."

rafaisthebest , 5/20/13 1:47 PM

Was puzzling over that first sentence!

ritb: This is where you have to admire the record number of weeks Fed hung on to the pole position - not to mention regaining No.1 after being toppled - not once but twice! He thrived on being No.1 and the pressure it brings.

I remember at the time Rafa overtook him, Roger said 'now we'll see how well he copes with the pressure of being in the spotlight.' At the time I thought he was being rather patronising (a classic case of Fed mind games) but he has a point. The No.1 title can be an albatross and there have been signs for some while that Djokovic finds it stressful - for the reasons you mention.

ed251137 , 5/20/13 2:01 PM

ed251137, blame my IPad for that first sentence and subsequent typos, it has a brain of its own.........

Totally agree about Fed, his mental resilience in hanging on that #1 for so long. If ever there was a measure of his true greatness, that is it. I have never understood people who chastised him for being mentally weak, especially against Rafa. Fed is not the only one who has come a cropper against Rafa, Rafa's H2H against all the players attests to that.

I felt Rafa did not take to being #1 well, I felt he stopped growing when he became #1. Hopefully he now has the experience and will handle being #1 differently, with relish, when (because I know he will) he ascends to the top spot.

Hopefully it's just the stress of being #1 that is affecting Novak and not something more fundamental. As Rafa has shown, you can be #1, slide back and come back stronger.

rafaisthebest , 5/20/13 2:21 PM

I was on the verge of voicing the same premise re. Rafa but thought I would get lynched for negative thoughts if I did ;-)

ed251137 , 5/20/13 4:09 PM

I think some of you suffer from amnesia. Rafa lost his #1 ranking to Roger in 2009 because he was sidelined for a couple of months including not being able to defend his Wimbledon title. is parents also got divorced which made him emotionally drained losing the zeal to play his at his best. In 2011, Rafa started the year as #1 and was perceived as unbeatable and very likely to hold all 4 slams at the same time by winning OZ. Sadly, he caught the flu in Doha, suffered abductor thigh injury in OZ and even though he made the other 3 slam finals, he lost all of them to a red hot Nole.

I'm just fed up of people always seeing Rafa's cup half empty and everyone else's as half full so I decided not to bother pointing out the facts and let people wallow in Nadal negativity if it makes them happy.

nadline , 5/20/13 4:32 PM

Thank you for the detail @ nadline, nicely confirms my points. I am not going to respond to what constitutes negativity or not regarding what different people see or say about Rafa.

My opinion stands.

rafaisthebest , 5/20/13 5:05 PM

ed251137, please do not feel constrained to voice your opinions. This is a public forum and there is no single spokesperson for what should or should not be said about Rafa. If a poster sees it as negative that is fine, we debate it! No one is going to lynch you...........

rafaisthebest , 5/20/13 5:10 PM

^^^Whatever.

It's futile arguing about opinions but facts are facts.

nadline , 5/20/13 5:11 PM

Nadline, so what are you getting hot under the collar for? You have all the facts nd knowledge, I am not arguing with you, in fact, I do not want to, so what exactly is your point?

rafaisthebest , 5/20/13 5:18 PM

Thank you Nadline for setting thimgs straight!!!!...........Nadal never handled being #1 well, my arse!!!!!

Monalysa , 5/20/13 5:20 PM

whoa! That is a place I am not going, your arse that is @Monalysa....

rafaisthebest , 5/20/13 5:23 PM

ed, you should be prepared to defend your opinions not be reticent about expressing them. I am also free to agree or disagree with anyone's opinions just like everyone is free to disagree with mine.

What we think on these forums affects nothing in the players' prospects. Whether some people think Nole and Fed have more or less guts than Rafa or Nishikori or wear their #1 status with more aplomb than Rafa is neither here nor there. The facts are what they are. People can interpret them any way they like, it doesn't change anything.

nadline , 5/20/13 5:25 PM

Left field, boom!

That somebody feels they have to say they did not want to express an opinion for fear of being lynched to me is .........wrong. No one should even have to think that, never mind saying it. It's wrong.

rafaisthebest , 5/20/13 5:33 PM

If I have contributed, in any way, in you feeling that way, ed251137, I apologise. Sorry.

rafaisthebest , 5/20/13 5:36 PM

ed,

I don't think that you should feel constrained to express any and all opinions. That's why I gave my support. You are not the only one to be taken to task. I was also challenged for supposedly not being a real Rafa fan when I said something in support of Novak. Anyone who has been here for some amount of time knows that I am no fan of Novak. But I call it as I see it. As far as I am concerned it in no way detracts from my being a fan of Rafa.

I happen to agree with your comments about how Fed handled being #1 for so long. It's interesting that Rafa fans take such a beating from some so-called Fed fans for attacking him. Yet there are times when we have given him credit. I respect Fed and what he has achieved in this sport. That doesn't mean that I have to like him or be a fan. But there's no reason to dismiss what he has done.

I think you make some good points about how Novak lost to Dimitrov and then Berdy. I don't presume to know why. We have discussed a few theories. It remains to be seen if this is something of concern. It could very well be the stress and pressure of being at the top.

With what has been going on here, it's a shame that Rafa fans have to sometimes go after each other. We have been under vicious attack from a few who are here for the sole purpose of disrupting, inflaming and character assassination.

We should all be allowed to say what we think.

Nativenewyorker , 5/20/13 8:22 PM

Tut tut.

nadline , 5/20/13 9:52 PM

Whatever.

Nativenewyorker , 5/21/13 12:11 AM

Edward is a Muzz fan. He is generally hanging out with Muzz fans and is recognized by Muzz fans as one of them
Edward has also attacked Rafa and he attacked me for defending Rafa against the mono myth. Last year, encouraged by Muzz's success, he was beginning to reveal his true colors. If Andy had won AO and continued his good run, everyone here would have seen that Edward is a Muzz fan.
He is not a Rafa fan any more than this Fedkovic type of Fed fans are Nole fans.

holdserve , 5/21/13 4:44 AM

Laugh, shake your head, and move on............

rafaisthebest , 5/21/13 6:23 AM

^^^advice to me.

rafaisthebest , 5/21/13 6:52 AM

holdserve, I think it's Edwina not Edward...........at least a she not a he.

nadline , 5/21/13 8:02 AM

NNY, I'm beginning to skip your posts now. You use too many words saying nothing and not anything I want to hear.

#misplaced loyalty
#Vamos Rafa

nadline , 5/21/13 8:12 AM

All u guys are doing is providing ammunition for the "haters." If Rafa were losing left, right and centre, I could understand it more. But as it is.....
#Baffled

deuce , 5/21/13 9:20 AM

Holdserve: Your attempts to divide and rule are becoming tedious.

ed251137 , 5/21/13 9:31 AM

nadline,

You can do whatever you want, but I really dislike you announcing it in that manner. That's a cheap shot that was totally unnecessary. However, I am more than happy to do the same with your posts. You are getting out of hand in trying to tell other people what to say, what to think and how to be a Rafa fan. I am done with it.

deuce,

You are so right! With all that is going on here of late, one would think that Rafa fans would stand strong together. But this is not the first time this has happened and I am not about to take anymore of it.

This started because I defended ed's right to express her opinion even if I happen to disagree.

Nativenewyorker , 5/21/13 9:34 AM

Religious thought.

samprallica , 5/21/13 11:40 AM

^^Amen! Lol....

rafaisthebest , 5/21/13 12:04 PM

edward, I shall never forget your vicious attack on me when I was defending Rafa.
You are fake and every time you say negative things about Rafa, I shall never fail to point it out.
You are a Rafa hater pretending to be a Rafan.
When you are not fatigued by your lies, why should you be fatigued by the truth I lay out about you?
Ironic you should talk about lynching. The leader of the lynch mob is afraid of being lynched? Lol, lol !!!

holdserve , 5/21/13 1:02 PM

Oh dear. One tongue in cheek comment (note the ;-) at 5/20/13 4:09 PM and I end up curdling the milk :-((

NNY: Kind of you to wade in. Sorry you got stick for it.

Dont worry everybody. I'm long enough in the tooth to weather disapproval from the Chief Whip if I dont toe the party line.

ed251137 , 5/21/13 1:02 PM

nadline never pretends to be the Chief Whip. She is a true Rafan and she is respectful even to fans of other stars.
Same cannot be said about you, edward. You try to drive others out if they disagree with you. You actually pretended to be the Chief Whip of the Rafa party and attacked me for defending Rafa!
It is really sad that NNY hangs out with anti Rafans like edward and deuce.

holdserve , 5/21/13 1:11 PM

'I shall never forget your vicious attack on me when I was defending Rafa.'

Come again..........

We have had the odd set to but I have never launched an attack, vicious or otherwise, on you or anybody else for defending Rafa.

ed251137 , 5/21/13 1:18 PM

"We have had the odd set........."
ed251137 , 5/21/13 1:18 PM

Huh? Did it go to deuce? How many forehand winners? Don't tell me, a drop shot decided the set!

Sorry guys, coudn't resist..............

I deserve all the opprobrium you heap on me.....

rafaisthebest , 5/21/13 1:29 PM

@RITB Lol!!
Seems like 2 sets all! Into the 5th we go!!

This is more interesting than the final we witnessed on Sunday

vmk1 , 5/21/13 1:42 PM

^^^

Calling Gulbis! Who was the better player??

rafaisthebest , 5/21/13 1:58 PM

Holdserve is taking an MTO.

ed251137 , 5/21/13 2:06 PM

MTOs are within the rules, ed251137, your time wasting in between points however, is not. First serve docked!

rafaisthebest , 5/21/13 2:26 PM

edward, I suppose rubbishing my education and my job were just a set to? Launching a lynch mob style attack, trivializing the facts I laid out and supporting the lies of the Fed fans were just a set to?
You are fake and your lies are really annoying.
ritb and vmk 1, don't be taken in by edward. He is a fake through and through. Too bad he is witty and has good language skills. I was charmed by those qualities until I realized he is a vicious fake.

holdserve , 5/21/13 2:45 PM

You cannot be serious.

I'm not going to play anymore.

ed251137 , 5/21/13 2:45 PM

edward, I do not play with anti Rafans.

holdserve , 5/21/13 2:56 PM

Holdserve: Suggest you look in the mirror to check the length of your nose.

#PinocchioParadox

ed251137 , 5/21/13 2:56 PM

Nativenewyorker, 5/21/13 9:34 AM

If you stopped reading my post, that would be great; it would enable me to have a conversation with other people without you interfering to take sides just for the sake of it. It's very annoying.

nadline , 5/21/13 4:06 PM

As for behaving like the Chief Whip, I guess I can't bear people running with the deer and hunting with the hounds.

nadline , 5/21/13 4:09 PM

edward, I am sure the length of your nose can encircle the Universe infinite times.

instead of growing your nose if you had focused on growing your "knows", maybe knowledge would have liberated you from your need to be a fake.

holdserve , 5/21/13 4:11 PM

@ 4:09PM
Nadline: You know full well that is an affectionate term in recognition of your unstinting efforts as chief cheerleader. As for the hunting analogy, I thought we had laid that to rest but you seem to be letting the poison arrows find their mark today.

ed251137 , 5/21/13 4:50 PM

@holdserve.
There u go again. U asked me not to reference u in my posts and I haven't, but lo and behold u are bringing up your rubbish about me being an anti-rafa fan again. U just can't leave it alone, can u? Same with your ridiculous attacks on ed.
Don't tell me what I am, or am not! Don't tell anyone what they are or aren't. You DON'T KNOW.
#BackOff
@RITB
"..did it go to deuce?" Honey, I don't think it's a good idea in the circumstances to make me chief adjudicator...;)

deuce , 5/21/13 4:55 PM

@RITB

deuce , 5/21/13 4:55 PM

Girl Guides' honour, that was not a reference to you, it was a reference to the other deuce........or forget it.......

rafaisthebest , 5/21/13 5:04 PM

ed, just explaining myself.

nadline , 5/21/13 5:11 PM

Deucy: I'm going to break my own rule and pour a stiff drink now. Can't wait till 6pm.

Sante

ed251137 , 5/21/13 5:16 PM

Nadline: Sante to you too.

ed251137 , 5/21/13 5:18 PM

@ed
What an excellent idea :) Bottoms up!
@RITB
I know m'dear just a-teasin u ;) Cheers.....hiccup... oh my that g 'n t was strong...hiccup

deuce , 5/21/13 5:31 PM

nadline, 5/21/13 4:06 PM,

You've been here a long time, but apparently still need to be reminded that you are not a moderator on this site. Also, don't presume to decide whether or not I am taking sides for the sake of it. Just because you think that it's a conversation between you and someone else, does not mean that others are precluded from joining in the discussion.

I have the right to express my opinion. If you don't like it, that's too bad.

Nativenewyorker , 5/21/13 7:04 PM

deuce, how dare you call my truth as a ridiculous attack on ed? He attacked me shamelesslly and viciously. Instead of verifying your facts you are saying my recount of ed's shameless attack is ridiculous? Your portrayal of the victorian lady fainting at the slightest provocation, hiding behind the sofa and your endless parties made me think you are a soft person. But encouraged by ed when you bared your vicious fangs at scoretracker, I knew you are just as fake as ed. The two of you are made for each other, fake and vicious. Your ed was playing the thought police yet you called me the thought police. You have a natural talent for overlooking or twisting the truth. Wow!! You are the best fake!!

holdserve , 5/22/13 4:31 AM

Take cover Deucey: your card has been marked.

#AnyoneForTennis?

ed251137 , 5/22/13 7:58 AM

Lol ed., I'm afraid a dreadful mistake has been made- that I give a toss.
#InTheDungeon

deuce , 5/22/13 8:19 AM

It is really sad that NNY hangs out with anti Rafans like edward and deuce.

holdserve, 5/21/13 1:11 PM

I would appreciate it if my name was not dragged into this whole thing. I have been here a long time and have enjoyed chatting with ed and deuce. They have both always treated me with respect and kindness.

I don't have any idea why this is being brought up over and over again. I know that ed is a real fan of Rafa and also likes Murray. Deuce is a Murray fan who has always been gracious towards Rafa and his fans.

Nativenewyorker , 5/22/13 8:28 AM

NNY: You should know by now in the land of the Trolls civil discourse is strictly off-limits!

ed251137 , 5/22/13 9:01 AM