• Nadal rallies to defeat Ferrer

5/10/13 8:12 PM | Kelli DeMario
    Nadal rallies to defeat Ferrer Two-time Madrid champion Rafael Nadal fought his way into the semifinal with a come-from-behind victory over world No. 4 David Ferrer. The fifth seed is through to take on either Kei Nishikori or Pablo Andujar.

World No. 5 Rafael Nadal is through to the final four after rallying to upend World No. 4 David Ferrer. The 26-year-old converted seven of 13 break points en route to a 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-0 victory. Nadal dug his way out of multiple match-deficits, including a 1-4 hole in the second set.

After leveling the match at a set apiece, Nadal went on to win six consecutive games to close the quarterfinal. He completed the winning effort with 71% of first-serves made.

“Rafa is always the favorite on clay,” Ferrer assessed. “Without any doubt he's the best and he's really fit right now.”

Nadal is scheduled to take on Kei Nishikori or fellow Spaniard Pablo Andujar in the next round.

Comments

Does anyone remember Rafa vs Nalbandian at IW in 2009 when Rafa saved 5 match points at 2:5 down in the 2nd set, won the set and bageled Nalby in the final set? Rafa is no stranger to this sort of situation.

nadline , 5/10/13 10:36 PM

What caught my eye was Ferru's declaration that Rafa's really fit right now. These pros know each other so if Ferru says so, it is so. I am happy.

rafaisthebest , 5/10/13 10:53 PM

Do I just. I was away from home and went to a pub with my laptop to connect to the internet. When they closed I sat in my car in the carpark and was able to still pick up a livestream. Sat there half the night getting colder and colder. Dont think Nalbandian was ever quite the same player again after losing that one.

ed251137 , 5/10/13 11:21 PM

nadline, 5/10/13 10:36 PM
how could any Nadal's fan forget about it? I even remember what was the weather like the day I was watching it...I recall how frustrated I was and how I thought if Rafa lost to Nalby again it would be a disaster...and all of the sudden the Sun came shining on me again...:)
Vamos Rafa!

natashao , 5/10/13 11:26 PM

First direct quotes on the match I have seen from Rafa:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/05/two-points-defeat-nada l-rallies-beats-ferrer-quarterfinals/47403/#.UY1lK8pRCDc

"I'm just happy to be back in the semifinals at Madrid,'' said Nadal, who won in 2005 and 2010.

"It was a tightly contested match,'' Nadal said. "David deserved it more than I did to reach the semifinals, but that is sport. I was lucky to somehow save that ball down 15-30.

"After missing his chance, David fell apart a little. He lowered his intensity in the third set and I didn't have to do as much.''

rafaisthebest , 5/10/13 11:27 PM

RITB, exactly ! ferrer is VERY honest and humble. I remember in AO 2011 when rafa was injured and ferru beat him, ferru said in the presser that rafa was clearly injured and I would be preparing to go home right now if he were fit ! I was so impressed with his modesty. So yes if ferrer says so, rafa does not have issues...usually ferrer is very quick to admit rafa was not physically well

vamosrafa , 5/10/13 11:30 PM

Thank goodness for Ferrer! Maybe now everyone can calm down and realize it's not quite the end of the world.

Rafa was generous and gracious in his comments about the match. Also, honest as always!

nadline, 5/10/13 10:36 PM,

You better believe I remember that match! I remember almost biting off my nails watching that match. Nalby was always a tough customer for Rafa.

Rafa's sheer will to win is such a force all by itself. He has won so many matches on that quality alone. I am always proud of Rafa, but never more proud than when he is struggling but continues to fight and not give up. He is never better than when his back is against the wall!

Nativenewyorker , 5/11/13 3:39 AM

Lolz...didn't need ferrer to disclose this...was apparent watching Rafa that he is alright.

atul1985 , 5/11/13 4:34 AM

^^^^

Where were you last night when this panic ensued after some of Rafa's comments in his press conference after the match with Youzhny. We could have used you here.

Nativenewyorker , 5/11/13 5:13 AM

Rafa said on SKY that he wasn't focussed enough and kept losing concentration but that i takes time to get that fully back. He was full of smiles and didn't look worried about his physical state. I think he lost concentration after the stupid code violation.

nadline , 5/11/13 9:16 AM

'he lost concentration after the stupid code violation.'

Spot on. He was absolutely livid. It's rare to see him quite so riled and it took him a long while to calm down.

I'm waiting for the players to threaten strike action if the ATP doesn't rescind this stupid ruling to impose violations on every infringement of the 25secs.

ed251137 , 5/11/13 9:25 AM

^^^^

I noticed that, too. Rafa seemed to get rattled by it and that was when he was first broken by Ferrer. I think he is so disgusted by this new enforcement rule. Robbie Koenig and some other guy were doing the commentary for the tennis channel and they said that the players want a pre warning before the actual verbal warning. They also showed the clock that indicated Rafa was taking 28 seconds. But they said that the players are not happy about how this rule is being enforced. It's so arbitrary and can come even at a crucial point in the match. I can't believe that they really want the outcome of a match to possibly be decided by a time violation warning. That's where we are heading with this.

Nativenewyorker , 5/11/13 9:34 AM

I cant believe the umpires can be happy about the current state of affairs. Not a lot they can do about it though - they are employed by the ATP so difficult for them to defy orders or speak out about the stupidity of ruthlessly enforcing the time rule.

If the ATP want to 'speed' up the game they would do far better to concentrate on the habit of players calling for a trainer and taking MTOs at the drop of a hat. That adds far more time to the length of matches than a few seconds here or there preparing to serve.

ed251137 , 5/11/13 10:16 AM

The thing is, after the warning the serve takes a lot longer because the player spends a few seconds arguing about it then they start their serving routine all over again so it defeats the whole object of the exercise. The players don't even know when the time starts.

Some of the commies who were campaigning for it don't like what they are seeing.

nadline , 5/11/13 12:26 PM