• Nadal cruises into quarterfinals

5/9/13 6:55 PM | Kelli DeMario
    Nadal cruises into quarterfinals World No. 5 Rafael Nadal is through to the final eight at the Mutua Madrid Open after taking out Mikhail Youzhny in straight sets. The two-time former champion moves on to face David Ferrer or Tommy Haas in the next round.

World No. 5 Rafael Nadal continued his winning ways in Madrid with a straight-sets upending of former world No. 8 Mikhail Youzhny. The 26-year-old Spaniard converted five of 10 break points en route to a 6-2, 6-3 victory.

"Since I've been back, I haven't had the security that I am in my perfect moment," Nadal said. "I just have to try and feel that I am getting better and better day after day. So, I have to have my feet on the ground. I made it to the quarterfinals of Madrid. For me, it's lovely to be able to say that today. I'll try to enjoy the quarterfinal match tomorrow."

Nadal completed the round of 16 effort with 25 of 33 first-service points captured and the loss of just one service game.

He is through to take on fellow Spaniard David Ferrer or 13th seed Tommy Haas in the next round.

Comments

The 26 year old, World #5 Rafael Nadal will be first on Manolo Santana tomorrow, not before 2.15 BST (3.15 cet).

nadline , 5/9/13 10:18 PM

Vamos, Rafa!!!

Monalysa , 5/9/13 10:21 PM

nadline, why are you quoting Rafa's age? Why do we have to know? What has it got to do with tomorrow's match?

rafaisthebest , 5/9/13 10:26 PM

apparently Rafa was limping after the match. In a press conference he was asked if it was the knees and he just said that if the discomfort gets worse a decision will have to be taken (what that decision might be he did not say but mentioned - because the journalists brought it up, of course - that his friend and LA Lakers player P. Gasol is getting an operation on both knees because he has many months off in every season and that this doesn't happen in tennis).
He was then asked about the warning he got in this match and he got a bit angry and said that he gets a warning but nothing happens to an empire who doesn't see a slow ball going well out 6 feet away from him (he then backtracked and asked the journalists not to take it down - fat chance).

Shireling , 5/9/13 10:40 PM

^^I am resigned to Rafa taking time off for an op, it just seems that is where this is going.

Vamos Rafa!!

rafaisthebest , 5/9/13 10:47 PM

yes, doesn't sound good at all.. he was frowningly circumspect during the interview and also added that he doesn't at this point set any objective (not even RG), he's just taking it one day at a time.

Shireling , 5/9/13 10:51 PM

what the? I didn't place that link in my contribution on top??
... Rafa also added that he hasn't had the feeling yet since his return that things are getting better with his knees...

Shireling , 5/9/13 10:54 PM

ritb, I'm just making a point that all Kelli says in her pre-match blog is how old the players are and what rank they are, and I am tired of the same old, same old stuff.

nadline , 5/9/13 11:00 PM

'and I am tired of the same old, same old stuff...'

Me too, that's why I hope you'll do the decent thing and waddle off while Rafa undertakes his orthopaedic endeavours (which I agree is imminent)
Yes some 'old stuff' can be so horrendously tiring!
Do the right thing honey bunch
;-)

Twinge , 5/10/13 1:14 AM

#Facts

RickyDimon , 5/10/13 4:36 AM

Twinge....I don't think there is another poster alive who is as enamored with themselves as you. This is the kind of self-love you see in two year olds. #fact...
you have the sensitivity of a mushroom and what you think is breezy, clever bantor is actually tiresome and rude. Grow up!
Sorry Ricky.......I really am a fan of #facts

Maya , 5/10/13 6:25 AM

^^^^Another great contribution Maya, well done!
I'm afraid, however, i don't take orders from humourless 14 year olds with life threatening weight problems.
Unless you're one of the moderators, you're going to have to grin and bare it I'm afraid.
I tend to speed read over most posters i don't like and find vapid etc.
Yours (unsurprisingly) included..now there's some good advice for you!
Oh & I have it on good authority that mushrooms can be very sensitive indeed, don't be so ignorant. But The food analogies were to be expected from you weren't they?
:-)
So there, nah nah,'like whatever' etc.

Twinge , 5/10/13 10:04 AM

What are you saying RITB, Shireling? It was mentioned nowhere in the web and I come here and read Rafas knees are super bad, people saying they are resigned to an operation on his knees

People please, what are you saying?

sanju , 5/10/13 10:15 AM

sanju,

Please go over to the topic thread "Becker Tips Murray as Paris title candidate" and read my post in which there is the compete excerpt of Rafa's comments about his knee. I believe that these were from his post-match press conference.

It's hard to know exactly what Rafa is saying when you read everything that he said, but I think it's way too premature to be thinking that it means surgery.

Check it out for yourself!

Nativenewyorker , 5/10/13 10:23 AM

NNY - Please can you tell me the real thing? Coming here and reading about an operation is the least I expected

sanju , 5/10/13 10:23 AM

@ Twingey
Aren't mushrooms a unique life form?......;)

deuce , 5/10/13 10:28 AM

Yes NNY read it, how on earth can one construe it meant surgery/operation? He has been saying from the time he came that he is not in perfect shape and feels the pain at times.

I remember in IW final, this forum went berserk that Rafa was limping in the distribution ceremony, he was bending and standing etc etc, I think we are all habituated to see and think the worst for Rafa.

Firstly Rafa creates hell lot of confusion and peoples interpretation runswild because of his lack of command over English and our habit of trying to think the worst aggravates it further.

sanju , 5/10/13 10:30 AM

sanju,

That's why I posted the whole thing. We should not jump to conclusions yet. Let's just try to keep it together and see how it goes. He has had some bad days before and maybe that's what is going on.

We'll see how he does in the match with Ferrer.

Nativenewyorker , 5/10/13 10:38 AM

@deuce,

Well, a few have had a pretty unique effect on moi at least.....
;-/

Twinge , 5/10/13 10:43 AM

Rafa does send conflicting messages about his knees, and whilst they are not yet perfect, he is loathed to say so because of the success he is having, as that might sound patronizing to his victims.

For the best part of a year, I have worried myself silly about Rafa's injury, his ranking and his longevity. I have stopped worrying about the blow by blow account he is forced to give us through the press and as there is nothing I can do about any of it -

I hope that God will grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

nadline , 5/10/13 11:44 AM

Why the surprise Rafa sounds pessimistic about his knees. He has spent ten years coping with pain. It's not surprising he is concerned that he is still having problems in spite of the lengthy treatment upon in the hope of avoiding surgery. It must be heartbreaking to have returned and enjoyed such success to now be wondering if he might have to go back to square one once again.

ed251137 , 5/10/13 11:50 AM

Rafa's post-match interview as posted on VBhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2vtWZxzSN_s

nadline , 5/10/13 12:22 PM