• Federer looking to defend his Madrid title

5/5/13 4:27 AM | Cheryl Murray
    Federer looking to defend his Madrid title Switzerland's Roger Federer will begin his title defense after enjoying a first round bye as the No. 2 seed.

Last year's Madrid champion sits in a favorable section of the draw that includes No. 8 seed Richard Gasquet, No. 10 seed Marin Cilic and Kei Nishikori, the No. 14 seed.

Federer's potential second round opponent is Bernard Tomic, but the Aussie will have to get past Austrian veteran Radek Stepanek to earn a spot opposite Federer.

There are 4 Spaniards in Federer's section of the draw, but none of them are likely to bother Federer. The bigger issue for the Swiss man is that he shares a half of the draw with arch-rival Rafael Nadal.

Last year, Nadal had all kinds of trouble with the blue-dyed clay. It was Madrid's grand experiment gone wrong, as the dye caused a slick surface that the Spaniard was unable to navigate.

But Madrid is now back to regular red clay, and with it Nadal retains his status as favorite. Still, Federer shouldn't have any issues until that possible meeting with Nadal in the semifinals.

Comments

Radek Austrian? A small slip. No way for Fed to get past Rafa unless he brings a superlative and flawless brand of tennis.

newfangkc , 5/5/13 9:26 AM

Lol,
Stepanek is an "audience darling" at the Vienna Indoors, but he won the DC last year on home soil in Prag...Cheryl: Did you miss the final? Radek played an epic match!
;-)

textor , 5/5/13 4:23 PM

Allez Federer. Good to have your all-court, aesthetic game in action. Only Brazil in football and Jordan in basketball and Ali in boxing can create the compositions like you do on a tennis court, Maestro!

17GS, 6Year End Championships and 302 weeks at number 1. Greatest icon in sport, right now.

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 3:17 AM

Fedkovic moniker could have been equally named 10-19.

#SoTransparent

Conspirator , 5/6/13 3:41 AM

I guess the high schooler's back *rollseyes*.
Sorry Fedkovic23, this is what outsiders have to put up with here. I will note that nowhere in your post were you provocative to any poster nor disrespectful to any other player. Just a fan commenting on one of his favorite players on a thread dedicated to that player's title defense. But there is a tinfoil hat crowd here that is so threatened by Federer's existence that they try and put anyone down they can to make themselves feel better. It's kind of the way it is here.

ts38 , 5/6/13 4:21 AM

Thanks ts38.

I am kind of getting the hang of things around here. Thanks for the heads up. Who do you root for ts38?

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 4:28 AM

Roddick was and is my all-time fave, but lately I like Isner and Gulbis mostly. I suppose I should jump on a bandwagon at some point because I'm sick of my horses always losing early :-P

ts38 , 5/6/13 4:39 AM

ts38 and chris 18 have got a new best friend.

ed251137 , 5/6/13 4:55 AM

ed,

You remember that old saying - birds of a feather flock together? Well how about online trolls flock together? LOL!

Nativenewyorker , 5/6/13 5:23 AM

yes online trolls flock together, I suppose that's why you and edna90814375098247305928 have been besties for a while now.

ts38 , 5/6/13 6:20 AM

^^^^

Why don't you think for yourself and not regurgitate what I said! LOL!

Nativenewyorker , 5/6/13 6:56 AM

@Fedkovic23, glad to see another Fed fan on this site. Diversification is akin to prosperity, and without it we stagnate, which is what has happened on this site. The gang will pick at you for absolutely no reason and make a mountain out of a molehill. Just keep posting, which is what they dislike. The MO here is simple, harass the Fed fans using baseless accusations so that they will leave, and it's very upsetting to them when they cannot accomplish their self-appointed tasks. The 17GS sticks in their craw and their only antidote is 10-19, which is repeated as a mantra.

BTW, all Fed fans are trolls according to the editor-in-chief on this site.

scoretracker , 5/6/13 7:13 AM

@ts38, 5:23am, I suppose you know by now that the club has a rule, you get my back and I'll get yours.

scoretracker , 5/6/13 7:16 AM

When was the last time Brazil won the championship??? Jordan was more than 2 decades ago... and Ali??? So they all Fed's friends???? wake up..... its 2013 now... Food ball is Spain, Basket is Le Bron and boxing is.... who cares.....

tettylds , 5/6/13 7:21 AM

I dont really think Fed has too much of a chance to defend his Madrid title this year. However, I so wish he plays well. I think, RG 2011 SF and Rome 2006 F were the best matches he ever played on clay. he will need to get to that level to challenge Nadal-Djokovic. Its better to have a a three way showdown for RG rather than just Nadal-Djokovic duopoly

atul1985 , 5/6/13 9:50 AM

Come now NNY, if I only regurgitated what you write I'd use an exclamation mark after every mundane sentence!

ts38 , 5/6/13 10:22 AM

Federer says

He wants to be a Rafa.

nadline , 5/6/13 3:40 PM

^^Whatever he is smoking is making him delusional.......

rafaisthebest , 5/6/13 3:46 PM

ts38,
Roddick was and is your all-time favourite, seriously?

Shireling , 5/6/13 4:36 PM

well, Fedkovic23's comments, though not ill intended (just being a fan), IMHO left the door open for comments because of their irrelevance in this thread.
Personnaly I don't include my fav player's achievments as a foot note unless called for...

Shireling , 5/6/13 5:18 PM

The mind games these tennis players play with each other is oh so.................

Rafa, I just like it when your racket does the talking!!!

VAMOS!!!

Monalysa , 5/6/13 5:34 PM

Those are the facts people, live with them. Spain can't hold a candle to Brazil. Sport enters another dimension when the Brazilians starting rocking the football fans with their samba. Same goes for MJ and Ali and Federer. Once in a century sporting icons.

ts38: A-rod was a great tennis player. His charisma is unmatched and his super-witty press-conferences are a total riot. GOAT of pressconferences, in my book.

what is "edna90814375098247305928"? mind throwing some light. am I missing something?

Score:

I know how it riles the rafaliens that the dude has only 2 wimbledons while Fed/Sampras/Borg have a bucket-load of the World Cup of tennis titles. No point explaining. These are people who think spain winning 1 WC makes them a greater football nation than Brazil.

Allez Fed. 17slams 6Year end c'ships and 302 weeks at number 1

Ajde Nole. 6slams, 2year end c'ships and ~100 weeks at number 1.

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 6:26 PM

ts38:

nice burn @ 10:22am. I can see why you would be a roddick fan. with wit like yours, i would say it was meant to be :)

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 6:28 PM

Fedkovic23, so how many Fed-ups have you recruited for TT?

Strange how you came out of the woodwork to make a case for scoretr not having access to the internet on the go and now you are a permanent fixture. You are not at a loose end are you? Obviously, not away on company business because you wouldn't have access to the internet as you happen to be in exactly the same position as scoretr who doesn't own his own android device.

nadline , 5/6/13 6:46 PM

^^^^Oh stop it, nadline!

#It'sKillingMe

Now I have visions of Fedkovic sitting on a porch with a blanket over his arthritic legs, watching the sun go down, reminiscing about the "good old days": Brazil samba soccer, MJ, Ali, The Beatles, landline telephones, Federer.............

Oh, brother..........

rafaisthebest , 5/6/13 6:55 PM

Federer says "For me, it was important to take a bit of a rest ? not too [long] ? just enough so I?m really sort of tough to beat in the next few months,"

nadline, 5/6/13 3:40 PM

Practice? We're talkin' 'bout practise?

Yeah, he'll be tough to beat in practise vs. Stepanek/Nishi on clay.

Gasquet has a good shot at Fed for sure.

Different story if/when he plays the King of Tennis when practice is over.

#HasBeen
#DancingWithTheStars

Conspirator , 5/6/13 8:10 PM

If anyone needs protection from Rafa, it is from those hands he offers to shake opponent's hands after using the same hands to do some disgustingly unhygienic things. I hope the top 3 are carrying some powerful sanitizers to wash their hands after the handshakes with Rafa.

chr18:

Thanks. You Roger fan or Nole fan? Do you know Rafa has served as no.2 to these legends for over 300 weeks. He must be the greatest no.2 of all time.
Fedkovic23, 5/5/13 4:44 PM

Yeah, no provocation nor disrespect from HasBeenKovic23 at all.

At least from fedbot fanboy's POV.

#Losers

Conspirator , 5/6/13 8:22 PM

Yeah I still youtube Roddick's pressers whenever I need a good laugh. And you're right, it is standard for people who mess themselves about Djokovic being called the new king of clay because of his MC victory, to call Spain the new king of soccer because of one WC victory.

ts38 , 5/6/13 8:38 PM

ts38, 5/6/13 10:22 AM,

Hey there's hope for you yet! That was funny!

As for Fedkovic, this person needs to get his mind out of Rafa's butt! Any reasonable person can see that Rafa has clothes on when he is tugging at his shorts! So how can it be unhygienic? That's a joke, right?

I think it's positively weird that there is this obsession with Rafa's butt!

nadline, 5/6/13 6:46 PM,

Now that's humor and great observation! It's very strange to see Fedkovic appear out of the woodwork, as you say. This person sounds so much like scoretracker! Maybe it's scoretracker's roommate! LOL!

Nativenewyorker , 5/6/13 8:42 PM

Also, ed is short for edna in ednumbers' sn. It's androgyny confused me until she clarified one time.

ts38 , 5/6/13 8:51 PM

sorry, its not it's

ts38 , 5/6/13 8:52 PM

For the record, it's Novak who is the defending champion at Madrid, not Fed. If they were playing on blue clay Fed would be defending Champ.

rafaisthebest , 5/6/13 9:02 PM

ts38: I think you must confusing me with Barry Humphries. lol.
FYI, my name is not Edna. Ed is the diminutive of an old Anglo Saxon name.

ed251137 , 5/6/13 9:31 PM

Fun to see them rotting in pain. let's roast the buggers, ts38!

You know something score and ts38? Outside clay [a surface on which great legends like bruguera, muster, costa, ferrero have won, only to lay a big egg outside the surface], Djokovic has better numbers than you-know-who. Infact, Djokovic has better AO, USopen and Year end c'ship records than he-who-shall-not be named!

For my money's worth, Djokovic is a better all-surface player than you-know-who!

rafaliens:

you can keep thinking I am skeezer or score tracker or score tracker's room-mate. End of the Day, your guy is the best ever no.2 and most probably will end as the 3rd best of this generation. [too bad all 4 slams and 8masters and all tournaments are not on clay].

Keep chugging the cool-aid. I think it will help you guys when you have the "hot flashes" for rafa!

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 9:43 PM

I think people will not talk about rafa's unhygenic habits, if he didn't do it. If you guys find it disgusting, ask rafa to not do it. I dont see Fedkovic or murray or rest of atp players and 1000s of athlets in any sport resort to what can only be called ape-like behaviour. Haven't we left the trees a million years ago and according to rafaliens living in a time when even pygmies are using multiple smartphones. I guess one "special" person has not and still exists in the uncivilised world! His fans think that's how tennis should be played.

With the butt-picking, rafa does give a new-whole meaning to "picking your spots, while serving", doesn't he.

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 9:52 PM

It's ok to name Federer by name.

Hot flashes? Just another word for crushes, no? Can't come up with your own insults. Sad.

#Flattered
#YoureWelcomeMyFan

Conspirator , 5/6/13 9:54 PM

Fedkovic23, 5/6/13 9:52 PM

Just the 10-19 pain talking. Let it all out. It must be difficult for you I'm sure.

#Shhh...TherapyAtWork

Conspirator , 5/6/13 9:56 PM

Outside clay:

Djokivic - 6 slams, you-know-who = 4slams

Djokovic - 2year end champs, YWH = a big fat goose egg = 0.

Seems to me, Mr. Djokovic is the 2nd greatest player of this generation, outside clay.

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 10:10 PM

danica, see Fedkovic23, @ 5/6/13 9:52 PM. I think you should get on your high horse.

nadline , 5/6/13 10:13 PM

Conspirator :

I know who most people [tennis fans and media] think of when they mention "beast/monster" in tennis. He's the You-know-who

If you were comprehension abilities were better, you would have realised I already named Federe/Djokovic or Murray.

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 10:15 PM

you were = your

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 10:17 PM

Ah yes, sexism reigns supreme! Hot flashes again! Another obsession! However, in all seriousness the comment about Rafa being "ape-like" in his behavior is beyond insulting and inappropriate. If you hate Rafa, so be it. But using that type language can be considered racist.

What is disgusting is having to read this kind of filth on a tennis site. There's nothing wrong with Rafa tugging at his shorts. That's what he is doing. The unhygienic aspect is all in Fedkovic's dirty mind.

Nativenewyorker , 5/6/13 10:17 PM

^^^I hope danica is on his case soon.

nadline , 5/6/13 10:20 PM

Ofcourse, nothing wrong in a grown-up man digging his behind in public with a million people watching him. I have not seen civilised humans do that in the world I live in. I don't know which planet you are from.

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 10:21 PM

nadline/nny/edna:

Is danica your mommy? LOL! you are worse than schoolkids. I guess life goes in cycles. school-work-retire-back to school. LOL!

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 10:23 PM

^^^No. danica is the moral police.

nadline , 5/6/13 10:24 PM

There is a moral police and still you guys are so miserable? doesn't say much about the moral police or you guys! [i am not really surprised]

ok grannies, talk to you people later!

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 10:44 PM

Fedkovic23, 5/6/13 10:23 PM,

Don't include me when you are asking that dumb question about danica being my mommy. Did I ask her to get involved? So don't go lumping us all together unless you have reading comprehension problems.

You wouldn't know what a civilized human being does in the world that you live in! This obsession about Rafa just tugging at his shorts is more indicative of where you are at than anything else!

Nativenewyorker , 5/6/13 10:46 PM

Again, Rafa wouldn't bother the Fedbot fanboys if it wasn't for the 10-19.

#TooFunny
#RafasPunchbag

Conspirator , 5/6/13 11:02 PM

Fedkovic23, 5/6/13 10:15 PM

Ohhhhhhh, you weren't referring to Federer? My mistake.

#FacePalm
#EyeRoll

Conspirator , 5/6/13 11:10 PM

nny/nadline/conspirator:

If you guys dont want to be lumped as one, you should try not doing the same to others. Atleast I am not lumping you with the clowns that post as rafa fans on tennis-x.

you got only 10-19 conspirator.

think about 300 weeks at no.1 to 300 weeks at no.2. 7 wimbledons to 2. 5 usopen to 1 . 4 AO to 1. 6 year end champs to 0.

Not to mention Djokovic having better numbers at ao, uso and year end c'ships and closing in on weeks at no.1 Let us also not forget Djokovic handing a 7-0 thrashing when nadal was coming off his best year on tour.

Anyone with a decent IQ would opt for Roger's records over nadal. Ofcourse expecting decent IQ from people who think Spain is a greater football country than brazil or that lebron is a greater player than Jordan is a little too much.

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 11:49 PM

No, you don't get it. Not surprised. It's not all I've got. It's the only thing that bothers the fedbot fanboys like yourself. It wouldn't matter who it was or whatever their habits, you'd hate them regardless if they consistently beat your darling twinkle-toes over and over again. That's the only thing that bothers you.

Sampras who was GOAT when he retired had no one with such a dominant record against him with more than 10 matches played. Krajicek was 6-4 but that's not really dominant with much less matches played, no?

Aside: Fedkovic and scrottracker are not the same. If he is a duplicate, I'd say it was Borres9.

#Losers

Conspirator , 5/7/13 12:11 AM

^^^^

You think Fedkovic is the troll Torres9? He's been gone a long time. He sounds like one of those Fed fan losers from good old tennis-x.

It's funny to see this know-it-all questioning our intelligence. I don't sense a good command of the English language from this Fed troll's posts. Just pure hate! It sounds so similar to the garbage they post over there. All they do is live to recite Feddy boy's stats all the time. However, they really have no answer for that 10-19 h2h! Such a shame when that happens!

Pete Sampras did say in an interview that Fed having a losing h2h with his greatest rival does put a question mark around this GOAT business. He should know! As you pointed out, the great Sampras never had such a lopsided h2h with any of his rivals.

They really do choke on their own hatred for Rafa! So much energy invested in Rafa tugging at his shorts, so much faux outrage! You have to kind of feel sorry for them.

Nativenewyorker , 5/7/13 2:25 AM

@Fedkovic23, hehe, you've got the gals all flustered now. They are unaccustomed to anyone coming on this site and telling them like it is. Some of us keep off the Nadal threads for peace, and yet we are hounded, even on Fed threads, as is the case on this thread -- Fed's thread.

It's strange that they cannot get it through their thick skulls that not everyone has to like their hero. Nor does it have to be an old poster who's left, possibly due to this type of gang mentality. Their stupidity is over the top, not to mention they regurgitate the same old garbage non-stop from thread to thread.

I see that they've *probably* accepted that you are not me, but now you're someone else, torres9. People are wrongfully accused coz these women cannot handle the fact that not everyone has to toe the line to stay in good with them, like some fans of the other non-nadal posters pretend to do on this sitel. This is the same type of idiotic stuff I talked about that happenend on tennis-x(by the tennis-x women gang) made up fans of some top players who accuses everyone who does not shower praises on their fave boys of being posters they hate, due to the fact that they have a mental defect preventing them from facing the truth. What's transpiring here on this thread, is like a mirror image of the same garbage I read on tennis-x, and it has me wondering whether these women are not those tennis-x women who are whining on this thread.

This notion that so much energy is invested on Nadal's picking is ludicrous, considering it's the same people who are using up their entire day's supply of energy sitting all day on this site, and degrading Fed to the nth degree. As I've stated before, first look at the mote in your own eye before ridculing others of what you see in theirs.

scoretracker , 5/7/13 5:42 AM

Fed has been training at high altitude in Switzerland so I think he's well prepared for his title defence in Madrid. I do hope to see Fedal finals at RG and Wimbledon, even at USO, this year as this may be the last few chances of that happening. I don't mind seeing a Rafa/Nole SF at Rome or RG or Wimbledon; I'm sure Rafa knows what to expect from Nole and is prepared to deal with that. I think the Fab Four will end the year as top four again, in whichever order, though I hope Rafa can continue his run to finals and winning them most of the time to get back on top.

luckystar , 5/7/13 8:33 AM

Conspirator, I came to the same conclusion, after the recent posts of Fedkovic, that he is indeed, torres9.

nadline , 5/7/13 9:15 AM

LOL! who is this Torres9 guy. Looks like he has traumatized the nadal granny gang a little too much!

Scoretracker - you calling this bunch gals? They sound like grannies! I doubt anyone of them is less than 60 years old - not that there is anything wrong with it. They sound very out of touch with the real world. I guess you have to be - to keep deluding yourself that Rafa is the no.1 in the world even 2 years after the guy was anywhere near it.

I think I missed the tennis-x incident. It used to be a great site but I remember a bunch of women turning it into a gossip site with 0 insights/discussion in tennis. The rafa fans on that site aren't as deluded as this lot, thought. This one is like a lunatic assylum, I tell you. It is like all the rafa loonies end up here so that they have have their "therapy" sessions.

You look at how they will not say a peep about Djokovic playing being the better player off the clay [which is an inferior surface - except for a handful of legends, most of the clay players are clowns like muster/bruguera/costa/ferrero who did nada on other surfaces]

Fedkovic23 , 5/7/13 1:16 PM

^^^careful with your English grammar, Headmaster scoretracker does not look kindly on people who mangle the Queen's English, which is strange, I could have sworn the Americans fought a long drawn out War of Independence to free themselves from English Royal rule. Hmmm, they do not mind the English lording it over them with the language it seems............

rafaisthebest , 5/7/13 1:59 PM

scrotracker's reading apprehension skills not his forte. Knows his name though.

As far as punchbagkovic...

#Yawn

Conspirator , 5/7/13 2:11 PM

I am surprised to see Rafa fans responding to this troll on here!! Dont give "you-know-who" any fodder!!! He will finally die a slow death!!! Even better still, soon to disappear after Rafa wins his titles!!! Ignore, ignore, ignore!!!!

Monalysa , 5/7/13 2:43 PM

^^^don't worry, @Monalysa, we know. We are just enjoying ourselves humouring him! Unfortunately, the humour is lost on him but we try, no?

rafaisthebest , 5/7/13 2:56 PM

score and other fed/djokovic/roddick fans

Ignore Ignore Ignore! that is what we should do to these nadal grannies club too!

Fedkovic23 , 5/7/13 3:06 PM

Busy much Hasbeenkovic10-19?

Number 10 in the Race to London. Must hurt. Fed really looked weak against Rafa at IW, no?

#ItsKILLINGme

Conspirator , 5/7/13 3:10 PM

due to the time-frame difference I'm always struggling to catch up with these threads but in this case it was easy , just skip Fedkovic23's interventions.

Shireling , 5/7/13 3:35 PM

^^^Oh please guys, humour him, let him vent. Must be tough carrying all that suppressed anger. Please show him that we at TT are an understanding lot.

rafaisthebest , 5/7/13 3:50 PM