• McEnroe says Nadal deserves Paris seeding boost

4/26/13 11:41 PM | Johan Lindahl
    McEnroe says Nadal deserves Paris seeding boost John McEnroe think it's only fair if the French Open were to break with decades of tradition and seed seven-time winner Rafael Nadal at the top of the list instead of the Spaniard's current No. 5 status.

Nadal has won every edition at Roland Garros dating to 2005 - save 2009 when Roger Federer lifted the title.

Paris normally follows the ATP and WTA rankings when deciding on seedings, but Mac thinks the case for an exception could easily be made. Nadal trails Novak Djokovic, Federer, Andy Murray and Spanish compatriot David Ferrer in the rankings. But the king of clay did not earn that reputation for nothing.

If Nadal does not lift his ranking to at least fourth, he could find himself facing any member of the elite in a potential quarter-final, an anticlimactic blow to the tournament.

"Let me put it to you this way: I guarantee you that none of those four guys, as great as they are, want to see him in the quarters,” McEnroe told Tennis.com. “Quite honestly, I would seed him number one. … [I] think he deserves that. I think the other players deserve it.”

Mac gives most of his support to Nadal but does save some for Novak Djokovic, who won Monte Carlo at Nadal's expense and denied the Spaniard an historic nine straight titles in the principality.

Comments

Of course he does, but I don't think it will happen. The ITF should be consistent in their seedings procedure.

nadline , 4/27/13 8:05 AM

As far as I know, and I may be mistaken, Grand Slams have the possibility to change the seedings at will. Only Wimbledon uses that opportunity. Rafa certainly deserves to be seeded way above #5. There are a few things regarding him that need to be taken into consideration:
a) 7 (seven!) RG wins
b) lost half of the last season due to injury
c) has very consistent clay season so far (two wins, two finals)
d) race points (#2)
e) best on clay ever
If this is not enough to boost his seeding I don't know what is.

danica , 4/27/13 8:43 AM

Well put Danica. If Wimbledon can do it, why not RG. Everybody would benefit from this. If they stick with the current system the QF will effectively be the title match.

ed251137 , 4/27/13 10:03 AM

Rafa and Nole killing each other before finale... Some Swiss player would like to see that...

zare , 4/27/13 10:10 AM

danica, that's why I say the ITF should be consistent. Wimbledon should not be the only ones who do it, it should be done by all the slams.

nadline , 4/27/13 10:17 AM

i agree with mac and the rest that rafa only deserves the number 1 seed. Look at roger at wimbledon 2010. Rafa had won at rolland garros, returned to #1 and yet roger gets the treatment (worthy of it imo) he deserves - #1 seed!

However, I'd much prefer to see rafa take on djokovic in a quarter final berth, he'd play with far more confidence, way less pressure to win and his true game would come out on court.

rafakid , 4/27/13 1:39 PM

Don't worry Rafakid. You will get your wish. The French will make it happen.

#DearMrRolandGarros
#SwissRules

Conspirator , 4/27/13 2:41 PM

Personally, I couldn't care less what seeding the RG powers that be assign to Rafa. What concerns me is this: If he is seeded #5 at RG (as it looks very likely to be the case), he will play a lot of his matches on Lenglen rather than Chatrier. We all know Chatrier is a fortress for Rafa and the sheer sizr thereof is perfect for defensive play, unlike Lenglen which is more initimate.

I think this is where the RG authorities should show Rafa and his record respect, by assigning him to play on Chatrier for ALL his matches.

rafaisthebest , 4/30/13 2:23 PM

In other words,cheating.

stratocast51 , 4/30/13 3:28 PM

Most of the French - crowd, press, and RG organisers - hate the fact the Rafa keeps winning there. They will do their best to not help him, which is all he's ever got at RG.
Rafa will just go about his business and be correct, as he always is.

Shireling , 4/30/13 5:20 PM

Good point, Shireling. I've decided not to worry about it. Whatever will be will be.

nadline , 4/30/13 6:59 PM

Indeed, whatever will be will be. We'll ultimately have the RG champion. Even though Rafa is The favorite to win it, scheduling can be important. Madrid '09 scenario often comes to mind where the two best went at each other and then, the third one found himself as the last one standing (and laughing).

As far as I am concerned, I don't want to see Rafa against Nole prior to the finals.

danica , 4/30/13 8:12 PM

Even though Rafa is The favorite to win it, .....

danica , 4/30/13 8:12 PM

Eh, Chris Wilkinson begs to differ:

rafaisthebest , 4/30/13 8:33 PM

Chris Wilkinson had a career high ranking of 114, his match record is 28-52, he never reached a singles final, has no titles of any description. One of his two doubles finals was on clay, which I suppose gives him the credentials to "feel" that Djokovic is the favourite for RG. How do these people get jobs? He even writes poorly.

jmk , 5/1/13 3:27 AM

Regarding Chris Wilkinson's blog, I beg to differ! First, he is using the MC final as a reference point for his belief that Nole is now the favorite for RG. I guess he has forgotten how Rafa beat Nole three straight times last year. His rationale is that Nole exposed Rafa's backhand in this match! Huh? What's new about that? Nole exposed Rafa's backhand in his seven straight wins over Rafa in 2011 and ending with the 2012 AO final. That's why people started saying that Nole was just too good at that time, that his game had no weaknesses, that he had Rafa's number, that Rafa would never beat him again, blah, blah, blah! The fact is that Rafa managed to change his patterns of play against Nole and was able to mix up his shots so as to dictate points. I guess this guy didn't watch any of those wins last year.

The other thing that Wilkinson is ignoring is the reality that Rafa was nowhere near his best, given that he had to take a month off after playing four tournaments coming off a seven month layoff. He is assuming that this was Rafa at his best? That's just crazy!

The bottom line is that Wilkinson isn't saying anything new at all. This is what Rafa fans had to hear through those seven losses to Nole. I remember arguing with some jerk on another tennis site who said that there was ZERO chance that Rafa would ever beat Nole again! This was after the 2012 AO final. We got into it, but this person never backed down. Then these people never show their faces when they are proved wrong.

Wilkinson is simply wrong. There is only one favorite for RG as long as Rafa has not ever been defeated in a final and has only lost one match there. One match! The mind boggles! He wasn't even original in his comments. He just cut and pasted what others were saying when Nole had all those wins against Rafa.

That's why I always say - talk is cheap!

Nativenewyorker , 5/1/13 5:13 AM

I remember some jerk nadtards claiming that no one could spank piggy at MC...

KMA , 5/1/13 6:49 AM

I am more than happy that the entire world will proclaim Nole as favourite for RG. Rafa can do without all the pressure ;-)

And yes the draw is the main thng. I am dead sure that Rafa n Nole will be on same side if Fed is No 2. Hence I desperately want Murray to get back the No 2. Murray - Are you listening? Rfa can still be in Noles half if he is No 5 but if Fed is No 2, I wouldnt be surprised if Nole, Murray, Rafa all in same half

sanju , 5/1/13 10:34 AM

^^^^

I don't see the point in worrying about this now. We have Madrid and Rome ahead. We have no control over the draw. What will be, will be. I know that Rafa isn't worrying about it because he has to play two more tournaments before he even gets to RG!

Rafa can deal with the pressure no matter what others say or think. Right now I think he is more concerned with getting match play and working to be in his best form.

Nativenewyorker , 5/1/13 8:38 PM

Remember the crowd's reaction when Nadal was getting hammered by Soderling the one and only time he's been beaten at RG?
Well, that's the help he's going to get (more or less).
If he (Nadal) gets a seeding boost it will not be for his benefit but for RG's, make no mistake.

Shireling , 5/2/13 1:00 PM

RT @christophclarey: ",@chachristine reports French Open chief Gilbert Ysern says in L'Equipe event will follow ranking for seedings, not bump up #Nadal #tennis"

Hope this ends the discussion/speculation..........

rafaisthebest , 5/4/13 11:13 AM

ritb
this ends the discussion of whether Rafa would be bumped up from 5 to a higher seed (something Ferrer might not have liked as he would be at 5 and having to likely play a top 5 player in the quarters).
There remains the big question of in which quarter Rafa will be placed. Either by a random selection process or by the organizers. Madrid sees him in Ferrer's quarter, and not in Nole's half - a selection that I expect Nole Rafa Fed Murray and most in the audience are happy with.

chlorostoma , 5/4/13 12:51 PM

chlorostoma,

Yes. I think RG should just quietly fiddle with the draw and produce a carbon copy of the Madrid draw. No need for high drama over this issue really. Poor Ferru, dammed if he does, damned if he doesn't......

rafaisthebest , 5/4/13 2:12 PM

..........and RG better assign Court Chatrier to Rafa, not Lenglen, for the tournament duration.

rafaisthebest , 5/4/13 2:18 PM

I dont think even RG organisers could be so stupid as to put Rafa out to Lenglen.

ed251137 , 5/4/13 4:17 PM

On second thoughts. Perhaps they could. Be so stupid I mean.

ed251137 , 5/4/13 4:20 PM

Rafa always plays one match on Lenglen and the rest on Chatrier, I doubt it will be any different this year. They know where their bread is buttered.

nadline , 5/4/13 4:28 PM

Don't all the top players play 1 match on Lenglen and the rest on Chatrier every year.(Djokovic,fed,rafa,murray) Isn't that standard practice?

tj600 , 5/4/13 6:14 PM

Yes, the top players all play one or more matches on Lenglen. The only except ionis Shaza who plays on center court at all of the GS regardless of her ranikng.

scoretracker , 5/4/13 6:33 PM

Is that a fact, about Sharapova? Why is that? Seriously, this is the first time I am hearing this and really would like to know why......

rafaisthebest , 5/4/13 6:43 PM

Roger never plays on Lenglen, as far as I can remember.

nadline , 5/4/13 7:34 PM

so, the French are hoping for Rafa to be knocked out in QF against Nole.
Well, we'll see about that now, won't we?

Shireling , 5/4/13 11:27 PM

Um, didn't Federer play on Lenglen last year against del potro in the quarters nadline? I am sure if I did some research I would find Federer playing on Lenglen once every year...

tj600 , 5/5/13 2:48 AM

Good call by the French. Unlike madrid organizers, the French do have a spine and do not bow to his humble highness!

My respect for the French has shot up. Now, if only gasquet/tsonga can deliver a big title. LOL!

Fedkovic23 , 5/5/13 5:12 AM

@ ritb

It has to do with ratings... I heard the same thing on ESPN. Sharapova only plays on CC due to her marketable image... Tall, blonde, beautiful woman, also has won all 4 GS championships plus former number 1 and very active outside of tennis... I can see how that would be a starting point.

As per an interview with a Wimbledon exec:
"If they are pretty it definitely gives them an edge. Our preference would always be a Brit or a babe as this always delivers high viewing figures."

Rafa should be seeded number 1 at RG though (7-time champ), with Fed seeded number 2 (6 time finalist only to lose to Rafa) and Novak number 3 due to his ranking (only made RG finals once).

aegis , 5/5/13 6:50 AM

I don't think any GS other than Wimbledon should meddle with seedings. That's because the Grasscourt season is very unique - no masters. and only 2 good tournaments other than Wimbledon. Let's face it, Halle has benefited solely due to Roger's iconic image.

Clay has 3 Masters and that is more than enough for players to make their case for a higher seeding by winning enough. There is a good reason Rafa is ranked 5th. He can still avoid the no.5 seeding if he does well in Madrid and ferrer continues his disappointing clay run.

I think it is insulting to the other top 4 players and even Nadal himself to do him a favor by seeding higher than he has earned/deserves.

Fedkovic23 , 5/5/13 7:45 AM

Fedkovic23 , 5/5/13 7:45 AM

Who said bumping him up would be doing Rafa a favour? Please, this notion was put on the table to protect the other Top 3 from Rafa, not the other way round. If you know anything about RG's attitude towards Rafa you would know that they would NEVER entertain anything that would benefit Rafa.. By their own admission, RG did entertain bumping up Rafa's seeding, tells you that it was never for Rafa's benefit. But give them credit: they were stopped in implementing this idea by shame....

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 9:23 AM

If anything by creating a situation where Rafa could meet Nole in the QF could actually favour Rafa IMO. My guess is Nole might well be less lethal without the adrenalin boost created by the highly charged atmosphere of a final when a win would result in him achieving his Career Slam.

ed251137 , 5/5/13 10:04 AM

^^^^

I agree about Rafa's #5 ranking. It's kind of a joke to refer to Rafa being the #5 ranked player as though he was playing throughout the second half of last year and just slipped down because he was losing. Let's at least try to be honest about this. Everyone knows what happened to Rafa.

I am not sure how it would play out if Rafa and Nole meet in the quarterfinals at RG. There's really no way of knowing at this point in time. I still think that playing Nole is always physical for Rafa and won't be a cakewalk even if he meets him earlier.

Nativenewyorker , 5/5/13 10:11 AM

What I object to is this whole seeding conversation being framed as if it was being done in consideration of Rafa. Bollocks, where has this consideration for Rafa been all this time?

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 10:26 AM

I'd love to know what the world-wide viewing figures were for the 2009 final. Bet they were lower than for any other year since 2005.

NNY: I cant think of any encounter between Rafa and Nole that as ever been a cakewalk - apart from when Nole has retired (RG '06 and Wimbledon '07).

ed251137 , 5/5/13 11:27 AM

nny, ed251137; this article articulates exactly what you are talking about:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732426690457845 8682904872260.html

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 12:36 PM

"Please, this notion was put on the table to protect the other Top 3 from Rafa, not the other way round."

Really, said who? Did Federer, Djokovic or Murray request the RG committee? Did the RG committe say so? Do you have a link to this imaginary statement or is it your opinion? If it is your opinion, it does not amount to much.

"The phrase 'by seeding higher than he has earned/deserves' is what I object to. No reference to the reason why Rafa dropped to No.5. "

I know Rafa fans don't think much of the rankings, [I would not too, if my favorite spent 300 weeks at no.2 and only 100 weeks at no.1] but these rankings have been working for the sport since 40 years [with minor tweaks] and they work good. Rafa being no.5 is a fact unless you are some delusional nadal fan who is in denial. That is the ranking/seeding he has earned.

Please don't bring up his injury. I would have won more RG titles than Rafa if I was not perennially injured. I know you would jump on me for saying that. That kind of a statement follows your juvenile logic about "reasons" why Rafa dropped to No.5

The reason he dropped to no.5 was because he plays an extremely defensive style of play which takes a huge toll on his body which results in frequent injuries. Just face the reality. Djokovic is no.1, Federer no.2, Murray no.3, Ferrer no.4. Nadal no.5.

Fedkovic23 , 5/5/13 2:00 PM

Fedkovic23 , 5/5/13 2:00 PM

If you paid any attention to my posts you would notice that they are consistent in one thing: disagreeing with the calls to bump up Rafa's seeding at RG. So, please save your rants for someone else. Rafa is currently ranked #5, he may very well enter RG ranked #5. Numbers don't lie, that is his true ranking, RG has never tinkered with seedings the way Wimby does and I have not seen a single compelling argument that this should change in 2013.

I, Rafa, his Team, Rafans, have NEVER campaigned for Rafa to be bumped up. We never even began this conversation. If you are smart, you will find the source who started this conversation and examine their motivation, not do the lazy work of just blaming Rafa and Rafans.

If you want me to justify my contention that the reason behind the seedings bump noise is to protect the current Tp3, then you need to first justify your contention that this noise is a desire to protect Rafa. You first, you brought up the notion first, I believe in chivalry.

I am pretty comfortable with the reality, have been for a long time, the reality being: Rafa is currently #5 in the rolling rankings, #2 in the Race to London Rankings. I want his seeding at RG to match his rolling ranking at the time.

Bring RG on!

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 2:33 PM

I like that name Fedkovic. You have good taste.

chr18 , 5/5/13 2:40 PM

^^talk about the dark side endorsement!

Why do I get the feeling Djokovic would wince at being "owned" by such characters..................

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 2:48 PM

......quite hilarious because "scoretracker" has had no truck with Djokovic.....previously.

Good luck with your double life, Fedkovic23!

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 2:52 PM

Well it is quite possible we will see more Fed defectors deserting the sinking ship and jumping onto the Nole-wagon.

#AlterEgo

ed251137 , 5/5/13 3:05 PM

^^^Makes you feel for the genuine Nole fans such as zare, samprallica and danica, no? Quite like the mad aunt in the attic you don't want known in polite company, who is insisting on being introduced!

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 3:20 PM

..........thank goodness we will never see their sort in the Rafan camp.

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 3:31 PM

I need to give you proof of something I never said, but you won't give proof of some baloney you claimed. I still can't stop laughing. protecting the top 3? Geez- it's just a stupid game! If anyone needs protection from Rafa, it is from those hands he offers to shake opponent's hands after using the same hands to do some disgustingly unhygienic things. I hope the top 3 are carrying some powerful sanitizers to wash their hands after the handshakes with Rafa.

chr18:

Thanks. You Roger fan or Nole fan? Do you know Rafa has served as no.2 to these legends for over 300 weeks. He must be the greatest no.2 of all time.

Fedkovic23 , 5/5/13 4:44 PM

Fedkovic23 , 5/5/13 4:44 PM

Typical. You lost the argument and now resort to gutter language. Sorry, I will not, and cannot, go down there with you.

Enjoy your sojourn there.

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 4:57 PM

You see, Fedkovic23, at this point I am moved to paraphrase George Bernard Shaw,

" I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

Not calling you a pig, you understand, just a metaphor......

So you will forgive me if I say at this point, sayonara!

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 5:05 PM

Gutter language? I just described something rafa does religiously every point. I wonder what that makes rafa?

I did not make-up or invent anything. It is something every non-rafa fans notice about rafa. It is the one reason I wish I was a rafa fan, I might be so blinded by the koolaid, I won't be able to see it.

Fedkovic23 , 5/5/13 5:08 PM

Yes, Fedkovic23, that is all you choose to notice about Rafa, I wonder why? Projecting, much?

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 5:18 PM

Right rafais..... technical savant, psychiatric savant, tennis savant - all in one savant!

How well you understand all the people in this world. It's like this clown who says why did you notice the red bulb on my nose and not my pretty eyes!

As I said, I wish I was as blinded as the rafa kool-aid drinkers. I am sure a lot of people in this world think the same too, each time they have to cringe watching rafa on the court. I can't think of another athlete with such unhygienic habits.

Maybe, it is just me. non-gutter people like rafa fans find it very hygienic, I guess.

Fedkovic23 , 5/5/13 5:26 PM

Hmm, scoretracker/Fedkovic23 you sound awfully like some character on tennis-x blog called @skeezer. He also likes to talk about Rafa's butt, his being the best #2 ever and a beverage called Rafa Kool aid......

No harm done, it's a free world!

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 5:27 PM

You have not yet answered where I mentioned rafa was being protected?

Ofcourse, asking you for quotes from the top3 or RG that the top3 need protection to support your baloney claim, is out of question I suppose

Fedkovic23 , 5/5/13 5:34 PM

Bullseye!!

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 5:39 PM

Fedkovic,
I am a Fed fan but the Djoker is my second favorite player.

chr18 , 5/5/13 6:35 PM

#AlterEgo

ed251137 , 5/5/13 3:05 PM

How prescient.............

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 6:49 PM

No harm done, it's a free world!

rafaisthebest, 5/5/13 5:27 PM

You are so messed up that you've yet to realize that I've not once posted on this thread.

And, For the last time, I do not post on tennis-x. Furthermore, I avoid discussing Nadal on this site. The internet is such that people use many words similar to other posters use, and is that a crime? FYI, I happen to think you sound very similar to two Nadal posters, who post on Tennis-x, e.g., Nadalista and Brando, who are one and the same poster. Probably the reason you are the technological savant. But I really don't care, coz I don't have to deal with the many tirades you have on that site.

Fed fans don't have to jump on Novak's band-wagon coz Fed's going to be around for quite sometime. Perhaps you should think long and hard about what youll be doing if some things don't fall into place..

I think you .

I happen to read tennis-x an

scoretracker , 5/5/13 8:23 PM

ed251137, 5/5/13 11:27 AM,

Yes, you are quite right about Rafa and Nole's matches rarely being a cakewalk!

ritb,

I think you may be right about this Fedkovic! Sure sounds a lot like skeezer. One of the worst of the worst! He really does have this weird obsession with Rafa's butt! Eeeww!

See now you have been accused of being not one, but TWO posters on tennis-x! How lucky for you! It just goes round and round and round!

Nativenewyorker , 5/5/13 8:29 PM

BTW, whatever happened to the sermon you preached on "niceness" and the chnges you've made and will continue to make"? All gone?

scoretracker , 5/5/13 8:31 PM

scoretracker , 5/5/13 8:39 PM

LOL, what a quintet!!!

scoretracker , 5/5/13 8:42 PM

nny,

It all makes sense now, it really does, it's one and the same dude.........

scoretracker/ Fedkovic/ skeezer,

Relax, dude. It's all good. Come "out" man, why do you need to hide your identity? Doesn't matter (to the rest of us anyway) what you call yourself. Just does not seem to be healthy to "disown" yourself like this. Express your opinions, own them and be done with it. Or, are you ashamed of what you write? C'mon..........

I certainly do not dislike you, just do not agree with your opinions now and then but that's okay, I am sure you do not agree with my opinions either!

#RafaKoolAidDrinker

ps: I am the kool aid drinker, not @Brando.........remember?

rafaisthebest , 5/5/13 10:11 PM

Me and Fedkovic LOVE RAFA NADAL. We're both just very repressed and sad.

Scrotracker , 5/6/13 1:04 AM

i was hoping the high schooler was banned for this stupid stunt. guess not.

ts38 , 5/6/13 1:14 AM

^^^^

You really shouldn't talk about yourself that way!

Nativenewyorker , 5/6/13 2:06 AM

LOL! that's the best you got to defend Rafa and his unhygienic acts? The problem is you guys are too blinded by rafa and any hygienic person would notice his disgusting acts.

I like how talking about rafa's despicable acts are frowned upon but you lap up those same disgusting acts like eager puppies. then again, you guys have shown how logical you are claiming rafa deserves a seeding higher than the ranking he has earned.

You guys are now dragging posters from other sites to support your irrational theories? thanks for the laughs.

Chr18:

You deserve appreciation for maintaining your sanity among all these freudian items. Did you take permission from rafa fans before starting to like djokovic's game? LOL!

Fedkovic23 , 5/6/13 2:55 AM

I just tell them how I see things and I really don't mind what they think of me.

chr18 , 5/6/13 3:30 AM

... Thru homophobic fedboy coloured glasses

#Troll

Conspirator , 5/6/13 4:09 AM

Don't you just love it when someone with a Fed screen name comes here for the express purpose of trashing Rafa? Unhygienic? Really? Someone is way too obsessed with Rafa's butt! Hmmm...that might just tell us where this person's brain is at!

All this self-righteous anger and rage about Rafa tugging at his shorts? Now that's something to get self-righteous and angry about! Another Rafa hater who has migrated here to discuss hygiene! All you can do is shake your head! LOL!

Nativenewyorker , 5/6/13 5:28 AM