• Murray makes successful start in Monte-Carlo

4/17/13 8:02 PM | Kelli DeMario
    Murray makes successful start in Monte-Carlo World No. 2 Andy Murray is through to the round of 16 after taking out France's Edouard Roger-Vasselin late Wednesday. The Scot advanced to face 13th seed Stanislas Wawrinka for a place in the quarterfinal.

Second seed Andy Murray made the third round at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters, having ousted qualifier Edouard Roger-Vasselin in straight sets. The 25-year-old tallied 8 aces and four service breaks en route to a 73-minute, 6-1, 6-4 victory.

"I won the close games, which was important," Murray commented. "I didn't make too many mistakes. It was solid. I returned well, served well. If you do those two things well on any surface. it gives you a good base to work from. It was a good start."

Murray led 4-0 in the opening set, then continued with a 3-1 advantage in the second. He completed the winning effort with 28 of 31 first-service points captured.

He moves on to face Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka in the next round.

Comments

Go muzzzzzzz!

alex , 4/17/13 10:27 PM

Andy looked relaxed and confident and thank goodness his serve was better than Miami.
Wawa will be much more trixie though.
Let's Go Andy! Let's Go!

deuce , 4/17/13 11:17 PM

Lendl looking more po-faced than usual - if that's possible.

ed251137 , 4/18/13 1:59 PM

Easy to see why Wawa has had the better of Muzza in their last 2 clay meetings: Muzza's just pushing the ball in, content to stay in the point while Wawa is looking for the killer shot to end the point every chance he gets.

rafaisthebest , 4/18/13 2:02 PM

Stan is bossing Muzza about, Muzza looks heavy footed.........

rafaisthebest , 4/18/13 2:09 PM

Unbelievable............

rafaisthebest , 4/18/13 2:12 PM

Somebody forgot to remind Andy he would be playing WaWa today!

ed251137 , 4/18/13 2:16 PM

ohh my Carribean Queen, someone is not playing his usual game and will be beaten so badly.

Raindrops , 4/18/13 2:24 PM

......but it came to an abrupt end!

Monalysa , 4/18/13 3:34 PM

I have a query, Nole and Murry 1,2 is majarly due to their better play or Fed slump of form and Rafa injuries?

venkianz , 4/18/13 3:55 PM

^^^

#Asterisk

nadline , 4/18/13 4:01 PM

I have a query too..
What does `majarly` mean?
;)

Twinge , 4/18/13 4:32 PM

Murray is not going to apply for a WC in Barcelona.

nadline , 4/18/13 6:27 PM

^^Thank goodness for small mercies,
Andy Murries should neither be seen nor heard on the red stuff.
Looking forward to the green stuff now.

Twinge , 4/18/13 8:02 PM

^^I hear he is going to stay in Monte Carlo and practice, but isn't match-play better than practice? Tignor's take:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/04/monte-carlo-wawrinka-d -murray/47126/#.UXA1nspRCDc

rafaisthebest , 4/18/13 8:05 PM

?It does take me time to feel comfortable on the surface,? Murray said. ?I need matches against top players to see what?s going wrong and what?s going right, things I need to work on to get better. Normally towards the end of the clay court season, I start to feel better with my game and I?ve had some good results, but at the start I have struggled a little bit.?

http://tennis.si.com/2013/04/18/daily-bagel-roger-federer-and y-murray-ranking-monte-carlo/

Sooooo, if he needs matches against top players, shouldn't he mosey on up to Barcelona where these top players are playing next?

#confused