• Murray returns to action in Monte-Carlo

4/15/13 3:25 AM | Kelli DeMario
    Murray returns to action in Monte-Carlo World No. 2 Andy Murray returns to competition for the second week of April, as the ATP World Tour makes a stop in Monte-Carlo for the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters. The Scot is seeded second at the tournament.

World No. 2 Andy Murray is back on court following a championship finish at the Masters 1000 Miami. The 25-year-old Scot captured his 26th ATP World Tour title with a come-from-behind victory over Spain’s David Ferrer, 2-6, 6-4, 7-6(1).

“It has always taken me a little while to get used to the clay,” Murray said. “I expect to give 110 per cent, to work hard in practice. If I do that, hopefully the results will be there at the end of the week, or by the French Open I’ll be playing good enough tennis to win matches.”

Murray is twice a semifinalist at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters, having made the final four in 2009 (lost to Nadal) and 2011 (lost to Nadal).

“When I’ve been practicing on the hard courts, a lot of things I’ve been working on have been hopefully to help at the French Open,” the World No. 2 explained. “But right now, I’ve got three big tournaments. You want to go into the slams with momentum. It helps, even more so on this surface than the others. I need to focus for each of the weeks and also the practice time for me is key as well on clay.”

Murray leads a competitive quarter of the draw that includes: (6) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, (10) Nicolas Almagro and (13) Stanislas Wawrinka. Additional players in the same section are qualifier Daniel Brands, former World No. 3 Nikolay Davydenko, Jurgen Melzer, qualifier Jesse Huta Galung, Denis Istomin, Albert Montanes and former World No. 7 Gael Monfils.

“It’s a tough draw,” Murray assessed. “It always is here. At the Masters 1000s, where you have the smaller draws, there’s not many easy matches.”

After a first-round bye, Murray is scheduled to open his campaign against either Robin Haase or Edouard Roger-Vasselin.

Comments

Hopefully by FO I'll be playing well enough to win some matches ..."
Love it. Classic muzz :-)

alex , 4/15/13 2:38 PM

?It?s a tough draw,? Murray assessed. ?It always is here. At the Masters 1000s, where you have the smaller draws, there?s not many easy matches.?

Another reason why Rafa is the GOTE as he holds the all time record for M1000 titles. Much harder to win M1000s than slams where you can coast for the first few rounds. I tried to make this point a few years ago and was shot down.

nadline , 4/15/13 2:57 PM

nadline - I quite agree. Can you see how frustrating it was for muzzans when the more masters a slamless muzz won - right up to 8 of them - all people could say, louder each time, was "But he's never won a slam", instead of crediting what has been a phenomenal achievemen in the current era.

alex , 4/15/13 6:24 PM

alex, I can quite understand. Not that slams are not great, but I think M1000s deserve more than half the points of slams.

nadline , 4/15/13 6:44 PM

only clay masters you mean i'm sure

ts38 , 4/16/13 4:13 AM

ts38

32% of Rafa's Masters were won on h/cs - not bad for a clay specialist wouldn't you say. Whereas only one of Roger's Masters was won on clay (I'm discounting that blue stuff). So who is the better all-rounder?

Alex is so right: Andy never received the credit for his achievement in winning 2 Masters each year for four consecutive years in what is arguably one of the toughest eras in decades. In fact he has equalled Federer's tally since his breakout year in 2008.

An interesting anomaly: the year he won his first Slam, not to mention the Gold, was the first time in five years Andy failed to win a Masters.

ed251137 , 4/16/13 9:13 AM

Fed has won 6 Masters on clay, 5 red and 1 blue. He won 4 Hamburg titles along with the 2 Madrid titles on clay.

chr18 , 4/16/13 12:19 PM

Wait a minite. That is wrong ed. Nadal has won 27% of his Masters on HC. Talk about fudging the facts. It's 6 out of 22 so Fed's 6 clay wins out of 21 is better at 29%. Not to mention only one third of all Masters are on clay and the other two thirds are on HC. It would stand to reason that an all around player would win more HC Masters since the majority are played on HC. You actually made Nadal look more like a clay court specialist. How ironic!

chr18 , 4/16/13 1:23 PM

For someone who claims otherwise, crap19 sure has a lot of time on his self-confessed homophobic hands.

#BanHatred

Conspirator , 4/16/13 1:51 PM

chr19, Rafa has a 77% win/loss on h/c and he holds a 6-5 h2h on h/c against Federer and 4 of Roger's h/c wins are indoors. So in fact, Rafa holds a 6-1 h2h on outdoor h/c against Federer.

Some claycourt specialist!!!

#GOTE
Vamos Rafa

nadline , 4/16/13 2:33 PM

I stand corrected! I made the mistake of counting from the timeline stats - forgetting Hamburg(clay) morphed into Madrid which had formerly been hardcourt before becoming a clay tournament.

I'll leave the stats to the experts in future :-(

ed251137 , 4/16/13 2:50 PM

It's kind of amusing writing comments when I already know what the response is gonna be. I mentioned Federer nowhere, yet people are quick to point out Nadal's "superiority" over him, as expected lol.

ts38 , 4/16/13 2:51 PM

Your comment was the first troll comment on this thread. You got what you asked for Troll.

#TrollBait