• Djokovic can clinch tie after epic doubles win

4/7/13 4:14 AM | Ricky Dimon
    Djokovic can clinch tie after epic doubles win Serbia is one win away from the Davis Cup semifinals after Nenad Zimonjic and Illija Bozoljac upset Bob and Mike Bryan in the doubles rubber. Novak Djokovic can finish off the United States on Sunday.

Novak Djokovic can send Serbia through to the Davis Cup semifinals when he takes the court against Sam Querrey on Sunday afternoon in Boise, Idaho.

Djokovic is dominating the head-to-head series 5-1, including 3-1 on hard courts. Querrey actually won their only indoor meeting last fall in Paris, but a mostly disinterested Djokovic went away without much of fight after bageling his opponent in the first set. Querrey will hope for a quick start in this one, as he not won a single game in the opening set of his last two encounters with Djokovic (6-0, 7-6(6) last month in Indian Wells).

Both players are coming off strong performances on Friday. Djokovic kicked off the tie with a 7-6(5), 6-2, 7-5 win over John Isner before Querrey leveled the score by overcoming Viktor Troicki 7-6(1), 4-6, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4.

Djokovic has not exactly been on fire since triumphing at the Australian Open and Dubai, but his inspired effort against Isner should have him back on track. Losses by the world No. 1 in Indian Wells (to Juan Martin Del Potro) and in Miami (to Tommy Haas) appear to be things of the past.

Querrey maintained momentum from encouraging recent performances thanks to his comeback against Troicki. The 20th-ranked American reached the fourth round at each of last month's Masters events and he is now 14-7 for his 2013 campaign.

Unfortunately for Querrey, his back is against the wall on Sunday. Bob and Mike Bryan lost a stunning heartbreaker to the Serbian duo of Nenad Zimonjic and Illija Bozoljac on Saturday, 7-6(5), 7-6(1), 5-7, 4-6, 15-13. That gave the visitors all the momentum, and with Djokovic up next it is hard to imagine them giving any of it back. Count on the favorite taking care of business and closing out the tie in straight sets.

Comments

Wow the Bryans are 0-2 this year, both home ties. What's up with that? They've been virtually unbeatable in DC forever.

ts38 , 4/7/13 6:05 AM

'uninterested Djokovic', you mean.

xrf , 4/7/13 10:09 AM

AJDE NOLE!!!...
With two legs or with one!,,

zare , 4/7/13 10:24 PM

Classy act by the Djoker to go over and shake hands with all the American players. Congrats.

chr18 , 4/7/13 11:47 PM

It's customary in the DC for the players of the opposing team to shake hands, going first to the opponent, then the captain, and other opposing team members.

I think The Bryans came out underestimating their opponents, especially Bozoljac, and let the first two sets slip by. Coming back from 2 sets down is not an easy task and is very mentally taxing.

Congrats to the Serbian doubles team for doing what few other teams are able to do to the twins.

scoretracker , 4/8/13 2:53 AM

chr19, you obviously don't watch a lot of DC, because as scoretracker says nothing extraordinary about what Djokovic did; it's normal practice in DC.

nadline , 4/8/13 8:33 AM

Novak's post-match interview:

rafaisthebest , 4/8/13 9:03 AM

Steve Tignor take:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/04/taking-one-team/47019/ #.UWJvMMpRCDc

Choice quote:

"But there?s something special about seeing the world?s best player commit so fully to the team concept; having him, in this case, put the group's interests over his own. "

Something no-one can ever accuse Federer of doing, putting the group's interests over his own, that is.

Novak playing through an obvious nasty ankle twist, for the good of the team, an action which may compromise his 2013 individual campaign, is what defines greatness, imho.

rafaisthebest , 4/8/13 9:26 AM

Yeah, but I hope he can recover quickly, will definitely not be good for the tour ( and him) esp after Rafa's long layoff (and Fed's back)!

Monalysa , 4/8/13 3:30 PM

Maybe he is not that badly injured, if he was he would have pulled out, there is only so much painkillers can do and it happened at the beginning of the match. Djokovic has pulled out of DC matches before.

nadline , 4/8/13 3:54 PM

I also believe that Djokovic wants as many DC titles as possible to equal or match Rafa. Rafa's has 4 atm and Djokovic only has one.

nadline , 4/8/13 4:02 PM

Painkillers can do plenty.

Djokovic was in tears talking about the potential injury severity after the match.

A true champion.

#AjdeNOLE

Conspirator , 4/8/13 4:34 PM

Which anti-inflammatory do they give these sportsmen because I am on anti-inflammatory tablets at the moment for my knee and at no time am I without pain even though I take them every 4 hours.

I'd like to know what they are on, seriously.

nadline , 4/8/13 5:03 PM

I'm also on pain killers and my knee is still painful, so I'd really love to know what they give them.

nadline , 4/8/13 5:22 PM

What's the difference what anti-inflammatory pills they are on? Rafa has had to take them during matches. Nole said in his on court interview after the match that he took them and finally they kicked in so he could play better and win the match.

They are not pain killers. They reduce inflammation and thereby ease the pain. Also these are the best conditioned athletes in the world. They are not like the rest of us.

Nativenewyorker , 4/8/13 7:15 PM

I don't think it's clear exactly what he took. In his interview he said anti-inflammatory but could be just choice of words. Some articles said he had both which makes more sense.

"Clearly in great discomfort, he required physical help to get to his courtside chair and was then administered anti-inflammatory tablets and pain-killers as he had his ankle strapped."

Pain killing injections can knock out any pain although that's very dangerous to do obviously as you can do more damage with no feedback mechanism.

Not the kind of pain killers you take for longer term chronic pain.

Conspirator , 4/8/13 7:49 PM

Ahhhh, he's fine...

Douglas Robson ?@dougrobson 7m
Word from #Djokovic camp is that ankle appears to be not that bad but he has yet to have an MRI, which will be tonight or tmrw. #atp #tennis

#Gumby

Conspirator , 4/8/13 7:56 PM

I only remember Nole saying anti-inflammatory medication. However, that quote indicates he might have also received pain medication.

The bottom line is that whatever these athletes take has no relation to whether any medication works for the average person with an injury.

Nativenewyorker , 4/8/13 8:43 PM

Why would their medication not be effective for the average person, we are all human beings are we not?

No seriously, I've been on anti-inflammatory and pain killing tablets since October and I've had an MRI scan and will be seeing an orthopaedic surgeon in May. Not a moment goes by when I'm not conscious of the pain. I definitely can't run at the moment.

I think they must get injections into the area and it only lasts for a short time and it's not something you can have all the time.

nadline , 4/8/13 9:24 PM

They may get injections. That's possible. Rafa had infiltrations or injections last year to get through RG.

There is also physiotherapy treatment to help reduce pain, swelling and inflammation. I have chronic disc problems in my lower back and have taken oral anti-inflammatory medications, cortisone shots and physical therapy as part of my treatment.

Nativenewyorker , 4/8/13 9:29 PM

nadline , 4/8/13 9:24 PM

That's a long time to be taking pain-killers, nadline. Find a solution and get off them.

rafaisthebest , 4/8/13 10:36 PM

The lack of pharmaceutical/medical knowledge on this thread is obvious. You can't have an anti-inflammatory that is not a pain-killer. Reducing inflammation reduces pain. However you can have a pain killer that is not anti-inflammatory i.e. opioids which trick the brain. Some steroids are anti-inflammatory but most likely the Djoker would have been given an NSAID, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as Naproxen or Diclofenac. Long term use is dangerous however.

chr18 , 4/9/13 1:59 AM

Wow thanks chr18. You know so much more than us.

Good for you!!! :)

#GFY

Conspirator , 4/9/13 2:51 AM

Oh really! I have had to take NSAID's and steroid anti-inflammatory medication. I have been through so much with my back over the years and seen so many specialists that sometimes I feel like I could write a book about my experiences. I might add that I would not wish it on anyone.

I said in my post that anti-inflammatory medication reduces pain by relieving swelling and inflammation. Good grief! Like we need a lecture from the so-called PHD on this site! I ought to know about opiods because I have has severe allergic reactions to them, which is why I cannot take them.

I took Naproxen for a few months and developed severe gastrointestinal problems. I can't take anything stronger than on over the counter NSAID anymore and even have to be careful with that. They have done cortisone injections and epidurals in my spine. Also physical therapy has been a huge long-term help for my condition.

I hardly need a lecture from anyone on the subject!

Nativenewyorker , 4/9/13 6:08 AM

Cortisone injection... Hmmmm... I hear it is very painfull. They have to use ultra sound guide...

zare , 4/9/13 8:19 AM

^^^^

It's really not that bad anymore. They do it under x-ray, so they make sure to get it in the right spot. They usually anesthetize the area so you don't feel pain, but only the pressure of the needle. I have gone through it enough times over the years so that it's not a big deal to me. The good thing is when it's over and you don't have that terrible pain anymore. You will feel sore and a different kind of pain for a few days, but then it gets a lot better.

The worst cortisone injection was in my knee. The orthopedic specialist put something there to numb it, but he shot it right in the joint and I almost passed out. It's not something that I would ever want to have again. I can handle it in my back, but not the knee.

It just blows my mind when anyone decides to play doctor here.

Nativenewyorker , 4/9/13 8:41 AM

The headline states, Djokovic can clinch tie ..."

so, puhleez spare us the never-ending, personal blow-by-blow medical reports. Would someone puhleez give some much needed sympathy to the long-suffering victim. OUCH.

scoretracker , 4/9/13 8:48 AM

Naproxen is not that strong, I've been on them. Even in Dubai where you can buy whatever drugs you like over the counter I couldn't find a pain-killer that relieved the pain to the extent that would enable me to run around a tennis court that didn't have steroid in it and the doctor said taking steroid for a long time can cause bloating in the face.

RITB, I will see an orthopaedic surgeon soon; there is what we call an NHS waiting list. This was my ultimate empathy with Rafa's knees, escept that he is now recovered.

nadline , 4/9/13 11:58 AM

scoretracker, there is nothing wrong with trying to relate to Nole's plight from personal experience. Many tennis bloggers draw from their experience as tennis players to relate to what the pros face.

#lighten up

nadline , 4/9/13 12:04 PM

Thank you NNY for info. I am fighting almost a year with PLANTAR FASCIITIS, nothing helped and next step will bee cortison injection :(

zare , 4/9/13 1:18 PM

Thanks to both nadline and zare for understanding why I related my own personal experience! It's nice to know that some can accept what I said at face value without trying to insinuate other motives.

Nativenewyorker , 4/9/13 6:48 PM

NNY,
I have read with interest what you wrote about your experience and have nothing against posters here sharing their knowledge. I am currently fighting back problem - it's an old sport injury I suffered in my teens. Periodically, I have such severe pain where I can't move at all for days. Have you considered surgery? I know it should be the last venue, but that was what brought my mother's mobility back (she was 39 and bed ridden prior to that).

I apologize if someone finds my post too personal or not in line with the topic.

PS: I just hate when athletes get injured. It doesn't matter who, or which sport. I just wish them speedy recovery.

danica , 4/9/13 10:30 PM

danica,

Thanks for your kind words. I brought up my experience after nadline discussed her knee problem. I think the only way we can try to relate to these players is by referencing our own personal experiences with injuries in our own lives. It may technically be off topic for the purpose of this topic thread, but that's what happens in an evolving discussion.

To answer your question, surgery cannot be done for my problem. The condition I have is progressive and was caused by a serious car accident when I was twenty years old. I have been fortunate to lead a reasonably active life, but it's always there and can flare up if I am not careful.

I don't want to go into any more details, because I really don't wish to have to read the kind of comment that I did after I initially shared my experience. It's not pleasant to think that anyone would possibly think that I shared it just to get sympathy.

I also agree with you about hating to see athletes get injured. It's their livelihood and there is only a relatively short period of time in which to be a competitive tennis player. These players know that there is a risk of injury, but their love of the sport and desire to compete, motivate them to do it anyway.

Nativenewyorker , 4/10/13 2:12 AM

@nadline, I don't have a problem with any posters stating their personal experiences, but it's a known fact that there are some here who love to jump all over some of us on this site for mentioning anything remotely distant from the topic thread, and funnily enough, those are the same posters who are guilty of constantly going off topic. There are double standards, of which I'm sure you are aware of, and it's the reason I wrote my comment. Everyone was having their say on this thread, yet one poster was ridiculed for voicing an opinion on the difference in side-effects/reactions between the many categories of such medications, and lambasted with a barrage of personal insults hurled in their direction. But considering the source, it usual and customary behavior and to be expected.

I remember a while back during the SA clay swing, an Argentine player's name was referenced by another poster, and I made wrote a comment giving some history of background of the country as to why there are other people living in that country who are of German descent with non-hispanic names. For that simple explanation, I had to deal with a barrage of insane insults hurled my way for that explanation. I was accused of going off-topic, and my comments were summarily dismissed as distasteful, with a lot of jargon thrown in which was totally unnecessary, but considering the source from which it came, it's understandable WHY that was so.

scoretracker , 4/10/13 11:49 AM

Conspirator, 4/9/13 2:51 AM

I usually don't read any of the high schooler's posts, but this happened by accident because it was so short. It's a perfect example of how it deals with when someone else points out it doesn't know everything about everything....tells them to go *** themselves. How it's opinions have any respect from anybody is still beyond me.

ts38 , 4/10/13 11:58 AM

You simply misinterpreted me ts38.

Also, it wasn't the message I objected to, only the insulting tone in which it was delivered.

However thanks for taking the time to write to me! You are a true fan!

Good for you!!!

#YoureWelcome
#HUM8LE

Conspirator , 4/10/13 12:33 PM

The reason I spoke up was to answer chr18's condescending post about people posting misinformation about anti-inflammatories and pain killers, as though he somehow has the credentials to lecture anyone here about anything.

I am inherently skeptical about anyone who presumes to post their c.v., resume or college major. There is no way to verify this information. Anyone can say anything about their educational background and it could be complete fiction. Also, we are lay people here who come to this site on an equal footing. Each of us is free to give our opinion or relate personal experience with injuries and treatment from specialists in our own life.

Chr18 is not any more of an expert or any more knowledgeable than any other person on this site. It's not for him to presume to tell people here what they already know.

Nativenewyorker , 4/10/13 8:11 PM

"Thanks for your kind words. I brought up my experience after nadline discussed her knee problem.....'

Oh god!
Apparently nagline has gone the whole hog and now has a 'knee problem'!
What next a tour of South America to gain confidence?
Well, at least her English should be fluent enough to be bearable.

Twinge , 4/10/13 8:16 PM

Here's for the twink to feed on...enjoy!

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Rafael-Nadal-The-knee-hur ts-more-than-predicted-articolo9303.html

phoenix , 4/11/13 9:50 AM