• Djokovic set for title defense in Miami

3/19/13 3:58 PM | Kelli DeMario
    Djokovic set for title defense in Miami World No. 1 Novak Djokovic makes his return to competition as the ATP World Tour continues the hardcourt season in Miami, Florida. The two-time defending champion enters the Masters 1000 event as the top seed.

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic is back on court after reaching the final four at the BNP Paribas Open. The 25-year-old enters into the Masters 1000 Miami looking to win his fourth title at the event. Djokovic is 17-1 for the season, aided by title-winning efforts at the Australian Open and Dubai.

The top seed leads a competitive quarter of the draw that includes: (7) Janko Tipsarevic, (11) Gilles Simon, (16) Tommy Haas, (19) Alexandr Dolgopolov, (23) Florian Mayer and (28) Kevin Anderson and (30) Feliciano Lopez.

Additional players in the section are Somdev Devvarman, Paolo Lorenzi, Leonardo Mayer, Marinko Matosevic, Joao Sousa, Evgeny Donskoy, Horacio Zeballos, Grega Zemlja, Igor Sijsling, Roberto Bautista-Agut, former World No. 1 Nikolay Davydenko and former World No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt.

The closest seed to Djokovic is (30) Lopez, who looms as a possible third-round opponent. Should the seeds hold through the draw, the World No. 1 faces a likely fourth-round meeting with (16) Haas or (19) Dolgopolov and a quarterfinal clash with (7) Tipsarevic.

Following an opening-round bye, Djokovic is slated to begin his title defense against either Gilles Muller or Lukas Rosol.

Comments

I don't know why Kevin Anderson (who already beat Nole) is never seen as a threat. Also, an inspired Donskoy can be, as we've seen, an obstacle. Tipsarevic is in bad shape, I don't expect of him to do much in his section.

Andy has a much tougher half to deal with.

danica , 3/19/13 7:33 PM

That was supposed to be Fed's cushy draw but he pulled out. Hope Nole sends Fed a thank-you note.

#GoBlake

Conspirator , 3/19/13 8:25 PM

They might as well give Murray the trophy now!! Talking about a cheesecake event!!

I guess, Rafa had his in his first comeback clay event, so can Nole and Murray!!

Monalysa , 3/19/13 8:28 PM

So is this why Muzz is well behind both Novak and Del Potro to win Miami even though he was runner up last year and has actually won it.
it must be due to the draw or people are having a logic bypass.
Juan hasnt even won a single masters yet, as we all know.
It makes me laugh, nagline whinges that i don't have any faith in rafa but very few TT'ers ever have faith in Andy, as he is always 3rd or 4th on this site to win anything including the smallest tournies. But i'm not bitter or even irritated, no no.
Lets just see how the next 5 years unfold eh?
;)

Twinge , 3/19/13 8:33 PM

No Twinge, if you are refering to me, plz do not get me wrong, plz!!

Let me explain my post: which one of the players there do you honestly think could trouble Murray, unless he plays with a concussion!! I think Murray can beat Nole and Delpo, this time round!! Thats all Im saying! No disrespect to Murray!

Monalysa , 3/19/13 8:44 PM

I wouldn't say any draw can be cushy or easy as you never know when somebody can produce an Out-of-the-Universe tennis, but Andy's certainly seems "heavier".
As for the poll, I wouldn't pay too much attention to it as it only shows the percentage of fans of a certain player :).

danica , 3/19/13 8:46 PM

Tournement director on lull in tickets sales due to Rafa/Roger pull-out.

Monalysa , 3/19/13 8:50 PM

" I think Murray can beat Nole and Delpo, this time round!! Thats all Im saying! No disrespect to Murray!.."

However if you are being sarcastic then i must say to you that there are definitely players that can be trouble for him in his draw. Berdych has Andy's number to an extent.
it aint cut and dried that he is getting to the final & obviously he will have to play better.
And he will!

Twinge , 3/19/13 8:58 PM

Berdych?!......well lets wait and see!

Monalysa , 3/19/13 9:17 PM

I don't know about handing over the trophy to MAndy so quickly, Monalysa. Ferru's got something to prove too, and a friendly Latin crowd to help him. Also, Rafa has already Tweeted his support so you know all the boys from Spain are going to be trying extra hard to comport themselves well (and not to disrespect Feli, b/c the boy can play some tennis -- but he only plays well when he *feels* like it ... so here's hoping he feels like it enough to upset the top seed -- so other than that, I'm really feeling like Ferru has the best shot at that).

Is Nico even in the draw? I didn't see him.

mara002 , 3/20/13 12:22 AM

mara002, 3/20/13 12:22 AM
---Is Nico even in the draw?---

Nico Almagro is seeded 10th and he is in Berdych's quarter.

Augustina08 , 3/20/13 11:50 AM

I'd love for DelPo to win this one :D

Shireling , 3/20/13 12:34 PM

DelPo is due to win an MS title. hopefully, it's in Miami, but I doubt it. he's been playing a lot of tennis lately and those 3-3 setters he played at IW against 2 top players, has to take a toll on him physically and mentally.

scoretracker , 3/20/13 10:35 PM

Back on topic - good start for Nole. 6:1, 6:0 against Rosol in about 53 minutes.

danica , 3/23/13 4:32 AM

^^^

Yes, it's a great idea to get back on topic. For how long I don't know these days.

I did see that score for Nole's first match. I am not surprised. Rosol's only claim to fame will be his second round win over Rafa at last year's Wimbledon. Otherwise, he has done absolutely nothing.

I expect Nole to be in better form here. He will want to put I/W behind him and try to get the win in Miami.

Nativenewyorker , 3/23/13 4:54 AM

It will probably be a Nole-Muzz final. Hope Muzz wins.

holdserve , 3/23/13 5:13 AM

Yes, in all probability. With DelPo exiting early, Nole's path is even easier. However, I won't underestimate Ferrer, Anderson and even out of form Tipsarevic who somehow produces his best tennis only when he plays Novak.

danica , 3/23/13 8:55 PM

Both Tipsy and Ferrer haven't been playing well, but moreso Tipsy. Ferrer 's loss to nadal seems to have mentally derailed him. I suppose he's probably lthought he could win that match, and most probably is now thinking that if he couldn't beat nadal after he's been off the tour for 7 months, will he ever be able to beat him at all. I think nadal is firmly in Ferrer's head. Similar situation with Troicki and Djoker.

scoretracker , 3/24/13 2:02 AM