• Nadal begins Acapulco bid against Schwartzman

2/26/13 5:56 AM | Cheryl Murray
    Nadal begins Acapulco bid against Schwartzman Rafael Nadal will make his 2013 Acapulco debut on Tuesday against Argentine qualifier Diego Sebastian Schwartzman. Also taking the court on the busy day of play is David Nalbandian.

Rafael Nadal (2) vs. Diego Sebastian Schwartzman

After more than half a year out with injury, Rafael Nadal has made a return on his beloved clay with a final in Vina del Mar and a title in Sao Paolo to show for his efforts. The Spaniard has been slowly working his way back into form, while he tests the knee that has kept him sidelined.

Diego Schwartzman, who came up through qualifying might actually be a tricky first round match for Nadal as he's played competitively on these courts already this week. The Argentine had a good win in Buenos Aires last week with a first round upset of Thomaz Bellucci, but he lost badly in the second round to Tommy Robredo.

Nadal has been slowly finding his form over the past few weeks, with the Spaniard putting in a good performance against David Nalbandian to take the title in Sao Paolo. Expect a straight-set win for Nadal.

David Nalbandian vs. Aljaz Bedene

This will be the second meeting between David Nalbandian and Aljaz Bedene. Their previous encounter came on the clay courts of Belgrade with Nalbandian edging the Slovenian.

Bedene is actually ranked higher than Nalbandian at No. 71 to the Argentine's 86th, but with his good results over the past few weeks, Nalbandian will probably go in as the favorite to advance.

Nalbandian went from Sao Paolo right to Buenos Aires last week, but he lost in the second round, so he should be fairly well rested for this tournament.

Prediction - Nalbandian in 2.

Comments

Rafa's match is at 9pm local time which is 3am in the UK. It's not being televised so I'll have to find out the result in the morning.

Vamos Rafa

nadline , 2/26/13 10:46 AM

He told reporters that he still has pain. Bad news:(( Maybe he should have considered surgery, he would have healed by now and be pain free..
Anyway Vamos Rafa..

arwen , 2/26/13 2:06 PM

How can anyone be pain free after playing matches like they do? Do remember Rafa cramping during one of his press conference and players said that's nothing alarming as they all do have cramps after matches? Players have to ice their joints after matches, especially when playing on hard courts. I think Rafa's knee pain now is normal reaction as after all he's being out of competition for so long and his body needs to get back to competitive mode. His doctor has already warned him about the pain and said it'll go off after a few weeks, so lets be more patient.

luckystar , 2/26/13 5:52 PM

Obviously Rafa isn't referring to typical pain that is normally experienced after a match. The pain he is referring to is related to his injury recovery and associated return to gameplay.

In addition, he is only answering questions open;y and honestly that are put to him. If he says, "I don't want to talk about this", then they accuse him of avoiding the issue so there is no winning.

Rafa needs to treat this conservatively. Surgery is aggressive and many players have difficulty returning to form after surgery so it makes sense to try the conservative approach first.

Not much point in going to hard courts if he is not physically confident just to risk losing in the early rounds.

Focus on the clay and grass after which point he has another month off before making a decision on the real hard court season.

#VAMOSRAFAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1

Conspirator , 2/26/13 7:20 PM

Rafa's doctor said that he would have pain in the knee. So it's not a surprise. There's no reason to panic or read more into his comments.

As far as skipping both I/W and Miami, I simply do not see how it benefits Rafa at this point in time to have three or four weeks off before the start of the clay court season. He has been out for seven months and needs match play to get back to his best form. At least play one of these tournaments.

The court at Sao Paulo was not a typical clay court by any means. It was more of a hard court with some clay thrown over it. The court itself was not in good condition, causing players to stumble and twist their ankles. The tournament was at high altitude. All of these conditions would be challenging for Rafa. Yet he managed to deal with them and win the tournament. He needs to play.

Nativenewyorker , 2/26/13 9:23 PM

Argentine with a Jewish name? In any case go Diego go!

chr18 , 2/27/13 1:06 AM

chr18, 2/27/13 1:06 AM

poor thing...

natashao , 2/27/13 1:49 AM

chr18, 2/27/13 1:06 AM,

What on earth does a Jewish name have anything to do with anything?

Nativenewyorker , 2/27/13 2:31 AM

How many Jews do you know in Argentina? Haven't seen a South American player with a Jewish name. Have you?

chr18 , 2/27/13 2:40 AM

At the end of WWII a lot of Germans fled to Argentina and changed their names. Schwartzman in the article is a Jewish spelling, but if it were double *n* then it would be German. And, no, there aren't many Jewish names if any, in Argentina.

scoretracker , 2/27/13 7:47 AM

This discussion about Jewish names is personally offensive to me and totally off topic! I don't need to be told the history of what happened after WWII.

This is disgusting! How about getting back to tennis and leave the Jews and WII and Germans fleeing to Argentina and changing their names to a place where that discussion might be appropriate!

Nativenewyorker , 2/27/13 8:44 AM

Argentine with a Jewish name? In any case go Diego go!
chr18 , 2/27/13 1:06 AM

And your point is?

nadline , 2/27/13 9:30 AM

Nadal cruises into second round in Acapulco

Nadal, who recently returned to the court after a seven-month injury layoff, needed just 68 minutes to oust Schwartzman, who at 20 was the youngest player in the men's draw.

The 11-time Grand Slam champion Nadal advances to the second round where he will face his second consecutive Argentinean qualifier, 27-year-old Martin Alund.

Nadal improved to 34-1 on clay against players ranked outside the top 100 as he makes his first appearance in Acapulco since claiming the title eight years ago. Schwartzman is ranked 157th in the world.

Nadal was greeted by loud cheers from the sold-out crowd. "Playing in a stadium like this, with all seats occupied is an honour," he said. "I will fight even harder to move forward."

Nadal was off for seven months with persistent knee problems and has been testing his fitness in clay tournaments this month before he switches to hardcourt events.

He finished with two aces and one double fault and won 70 percent of his first-serve points.

Schwartzman, who was facing a top 10 player for the first time in his career, won just 28 percent of his second-serve points and had his serve broken five times.

Nadal won his 37th clay-court title earlier this month in Sao Paulo, Brazil, beating David Nalbandian in the final.

On Tuesday, a Spanish newspaper reported that world number five Nadal would miss the upcoming ATP World Tour Masters Series events in Indian Wells, California and Miami, Florida.

Nadal's camp and tournament organisers dismissed the report.

Nadal is also expected to play a Masters Series event in Monaco in April and compete in Madrid and Rome before the French Open begins at Roland Garros in Paris on May 26.

natashao , 2/27/13 12:18 PM

"I will fight even harder to move forward"...That is our Rafa!!!

Vamos Rafa!

natashao , 2/27/13 12:23 PM

I am not happy about that statement by Rafa. He should remember these are minor tournaments and he should not risk injuries. But I suppose that is Rafa. He cannot help fighting to the limit especially when he feels fans will feel let down if he doesn't fight.

Earlier I wanted Rafa to win everything and be number 1. Now I just want him to win RG. And I don't care if he is considered good only on clay. He is a creature of the Spring, natural, wonderful and vibrant.

holdserve , 2/27/13 3:12 PM

My wish would be he played only one of the hardcourt masters, in which case IW. And Barcelona instead of non-clay Madrid. For the sake of balancing match readiness with the various levels of physical punishments of the different courts, and that idiotic switch to essentially a hardcourt at Madrid in the middle of clay season and the switch back.

chlorostoma , 2/27/13 3:37 PM

Havent seen Rafa play since he has made a comeback. But I still think that he would beat most of the competition here at Acapulco. Though, I do feel it would be the best chance for Ferrer to win against Rafa (should they meet) on clay.

abhirf , 2/27/13 4:19 PM

Rafa always says that he will fight harder. That doesn't mean that he will risk injury. I don't know why his words have to be parsed and analyzed all the time. Rafa is just saying that he will work harder and do his best. That's what we have come to expect from him.

I agree with chloro that Rafa should play at least one of the hardcourt masters tournaments, most likely I/W because that surface favors his game. Rafa could skip Madrid this year because he was knocked out early last year and has hardly any points to defend.

Of course, we don't have a say in whether or not Rafa plays. We can just give our own personal wish lists for Rafa and hope that whatever he does works out for the best. I just do not believe that skipping both I/W and Miami and being off for about four weeks is going to help him with getting into good form for the clay season. He doesn't need weeks off. He was off for seven months. A week or two is fine, but he needs match play.

Nativenewyorker , 2/27/13 8:10 PM

2/27/13 8:44 AM
How can a discussion on jewish names be personally offensive to this man? Is he jewish, and was anything derogatorily mentioned by me with respect to jews? NO. As usual he's looking to start something? simple solution SCROLL DOWN, But, that can't happen coz HE CAN'T LET AN OPPORTUNITY to start a war pass him by. He's always looking to start a war to keep some of us off this site., as in "why are you still here?" .

No one goes more off topic than this man. He's on the end of most Approach shots threads with his groupies having a derogatory words party, e.g., 'she who will not be named" and 'you know who", like a bunch of juvenile delinquents, who's got nothing to do and all day to do it in. moronic.

scoretracker , 2/28/13 2:44 AM

WARNING: the post:

scoretracker , 2/28/13 2:44 AM

is trolling for a reply. Please do not respond. Thank you for your cooperation. This is an automated post. Replies will not be responded to.

#Humble

Conspirator , 2/28/13 3:36 AM

And, ....on cue ..... as usual doing the lackey work. "do you like me? do you really like me"? LOL, so needy for some attention.

scoretracker , 2/28/13 4:10 AM

"This discussion about Jewish names is personally offensive to me .."

I've never read bigger BS in my life, almost.

vamos.

rfzr , 2/28/13 4:46 AM

^^^^

Well I have read bigger BS from you on this site every day! I can express my feelings if I feel that someone has crossed a line and completely violated the rules in bringing up Jewish names, Germans who changed their names and fled to South America after WWII or any of that nonsense! It's completely off topic, totally unnecessary. Who cares if there is a an Argentinian player with a Jewish name? It's insanity! What is this obsession with someone supposedly having a Jewish name? Is that something bad? Are we introducing anti-semitism into the mix here now?

It's a disgrace to have to read this garbage! Like we need a history lesson about the Germans after WWII? Or how about the actual number of Jews in Argentina? Why not get into that?

I am not surprised that our resident instigator, tasteless and classless troublemaker, jumped into the discussion. The same person who has tirelessly and sanctimoniously lectured others about staying on topic!

If you ever had anything worthwhile to say besides your fake "vamoses", that would be the surprise of the ages. Because you contribute precisely nothing to any discussion. You better believe that I am offended by anyone bringing up someone's name and whether that person is Jewish. That has zero to do with tennis. That's what we should be talking about!

Nativenewyorker , 2/28/13 5:01 AM

It's not the comment that's offensive, it's the person who wrote the comment that the drama queen hates, that made it offensive. The drama queen's mission is to harass me and some other posters so that we will leave.

What I find offensive is the chat room talks that are engaged in by the drama queen, her lackey and the others, that are extremely off-topic, and contain disparaging insults hurled at me. where's the moderator? numero has always stated that the moderation is unfair.

As the lackey has stated the moderators don't like me, and this gives entitlement to them to do whatever they want. they go off topic all the time, and post long cut and paste posts from VB and other sites, but that's OK. However, when someone they dislike do it, the drama queen foams up about it non-stop., even the lines between paragraps are counted. And, then there's the usual plea for the poster to be banned. surely, there must be something better in life to do than make a job out of harassing others.

scoretracker , 2/28/13 5:08 AM

^^^^

I dont need a troll like you to speak for me! What utter and complete gall! It's the comment and don't you presume to ever speak for me or think you know what I think or feel! You are lower than dirt for jumping in and bringing up things that have absolutely nothing at all to do with this discussion.

I don't have to state that the moderators don't like you. You were banned from this site and deservedly so. Well earned! You never give up, never let go and never stop repeating the lies and propaganda about me. It's not going to work this time, as it hasn't all the other times. You haven't gotten me to leave and you never will.

You are in the wrong and you know it! So it's much better to use diversion and go back to your same old, same old about how I am driving people like you off this site! As I said before, no one could drive you off this site with a crowbar! You threaten to leave and blow up and have your hissy fits and cry woe is me, everyone wants to make me leave. But guess what! You are still here! So quit throwing around that crap about me driving you away. You live for this and feed off of this.

This time there is nowhere for you to hide. You started this one and you are not going to weasel your way out of the responsibility for it. Own up to what you do and admit when you are wrong. You hijacked this thread when it's supposed to be about Rafa. Your hypocrisy is nauseating.

Nativenewyorker , 2/28/13 5:14 AM

"Well I have read bigger BS from you on this site every day!"

Lies. rfzr does not post every day. exaggeration to the nth degree. The painter is at work painting the lies. as usual.get a life troll.

scoretracker , 2/28/13 5:28 AM

"I don't have to state that the moderators don't like you. You were banned from this site and deservedly so. Well earned! You never give up, never let go and never stop repeating the lies and propaganda about me. It's not going to work this time, as it hasn't all the other times. You haven't gotten me to leave and you never "

This has been what the 20th time the drama queen has regurgitated that I was banned unfairly for A WHOLE DAMN WEEK, A WHOLE WEEK, DID YOU ALL HEAR THAT? A WHOLE DAMN WEEK.I WAS BANNED. internet world, THIS POSTER, SCORETRACKER WAS BANNED FROM TENNISTALK FOR A WHOLE DAMN WEEK.

Needless to say, drama queen has latched onto it and regurgitated it non-stop. It's such a huge crime in the drama queen's eyes, that one would think i stole her only pair of panties, considering she has turned me from a man into a woman.

scoretracker , 2/28/13 6:23 AM

she calls my vamos BS!

vamos.

rfzr , 2/28/13 7:21 AM

LOL, she does have a way with words, talk about frills and trimmings, and can she paint a canvas to suit herself. Man, I've never come across anyone who could embellish stuff so much, except for one guy on another site who thinks he's a writer, going into every detail on everything. I guess drama queen would go nuts if she were on that site with that preacher guy. LOL.

scoretracker , 2/28/13 8:14 AM

scoretracker, 2/28/13 5:08 AM

All one has to do is read this and realize that this person has a sick obsession with whatever I write or post on this site. Now the problem is cutting and pasting things from vb. Oh and I am supposedly counting lines written by tennisnba. This person would defend a spammer like that. Like attracts like! Who said anything about counting lines? Even though this person monitors everything I write and can regurgitate it at will, it's still wrong! What I said was that tennisnba skips lines to take up more space in their spamming posts!

I cannot imagine anyone having such a sad life that there is the need to follow what I say to such an unbelievable degree! That says it all. It's a tragic waste of life and it's to be pitied.

Nativenewyorker , 2/28/13 8:27 AM

rfzr, 2/28/13 7:21 AM,

No, I didn't call your vamos BS! That's just phony and fake! You are no Rafa fan! I called anything you try to write that is vaguely intelligible - BS!

Nativenewyorker , 2/28/13 8:29 AM

Using the word "vamos" does not make anyone a Rafa fan. This distinction is reserved to people with class like us.

phoenix , 2/28/13 12:44 PM

WTH is wrong with you NNY?

Also, "Even though this person monitors everything I write and can regurgitate it at will", pisses you off when it happens to you, but when a lifeless high school kid spends countless time digging up old random posts of mine, it's "right on!!!" I used to think you were what's cool about this site. Turns out, you're what's wrong with this site.

ts38 , 2/28/13 1:49 PM

nny, talk as much BS as you want and lie about everything. your posts are there for all to see. I see you're back to judging whose life is a waste. GET THIS, THE ONLY WASTE OF LIFE I SEE IS YOURS. You have nothing to do and all day to do it in. you're on here and other sites doing the same BS. aren't you ashamed of your behavior, especially when you were told that you paint stuff worse than it is? that, should be an indication to you that some people are aware of your lies and exaggerations.nOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT AS AN OLDER WOMAN, YOU'RE A DISGRACE TO WOMANHOOD.Your tongue is nasty viz, I'm lower than dirt? You sick demented #+*^%.!!!

You think you can fool people by creating a smokescreen of written BS, and using cliche phrases. That happens for a while until they see through your facade.

Anyway, go ahead and froth and foam as much as you want, but know this, all your tantrums and lies is NOT going to keep me from posting my thoughts on this site. I know it's what you're working SO very hard to achieve, but IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. I'm not afraid of your bullying tirades, so just STIFLE, or CHOKE ON IT, coz IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN..

scoretracker , 2/28/13 1:58 PM

WARNING: the post:

ts38 , 2/28/13 1:49 PM

#ImNotOnThisThread
#Humble

Conspirator , 2/28/13 2:01 PM

WARNING: the meltdown:

scoretracker , 2/28/13 1:58 PM

#ImNotOnThisThread
#Humble

Conspirator , 2/28/13 2:05 PM

Automated BS. I suppose she is looking for some love. "do you like me"? 'yes we love you" "do you really like me?"

scoretracker , 2/28/13 2:09 PM

WARNING: the meltdown:

scrotracker , 2/28/13 2:09 PM

#ImNotOnThisThread
#Humble

Conspirator , 2/28/13 2:50 PM

sure, old tarts on prozac are pure class :haha:

vamos.

rfzr , 2/28/13 7:10 PM

JESUS! scoretracker why do you choose tennistalk to have your mental meltdowns on? Stop throwing armchair psychology around. and sort your own life out.

willmw101 , 2/28/13 7:33 PM

willmw101 , 2/28/13 7:37 PM

@willmw, IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Why don't you ask NNY why she likes to fight so much. Is it because you're afraid of her tongue lashings she gave you recently when you two had the big fight? And, what of the fights you hve had, and are still having with zare, just last week?

I don't start fights. I have NNY and her dreams girls, you/connie included to do that for me. All those little chats at the end of the Approach Shots threads, "she who we will not name" and "you know who" as though you are a bunch of frat air-head girls. If I were to answer there would be big fights, but I choose to ignore. I suggest you clean up your act, and decide who will be the better poster, connie or willma. You both use tsame words and the tone in your post is the s. another poster said the same, but she is t here coz she's posting elsewhere. So willma/connie, before reprimanding me, just look at yourself first and SHUT UP.

scoretracker , 3/1/13 4:43 AM

WARNING: the meltdown:

scotracker , 3/1/13 4:43 AM

#ImNotOnThisThread
#Humble

Conspirator , 3/1/13 5:05 AM

^^^^^ correction: scrotracker

#HumbleTypo

Conspirator , 3/1/13 5:11 AM

Is there moderation on this site.? Why is Conspirator allowed to post her automated BS continuously? Thus far, 5 times on this thread, cut and paste BS. How is it that this moron is allowed to spam with the pseudo-automated garbage can do so, while other posters, because they are not liked, non-Nadal fans, are whined about when they post anything referring to them as trolls and spammers. Epitome of selective bias here. This moron is on a witchhunt all day. She must take the computer with her even to the bathroom. What a sico.

Conspirator.wilmw/hawkeye = conspirator = three-headed troll

scoretracker , 3/1/13 5:18 AM

I'm waiting for the day when connie and her dream team will have a falling out. It will be the end of the three-headed troll, conspirator/willmw/hawkeye = constipated troll

scoretracker , 3/1/13 5:21 AM

Ok, you're an idiot. Is that better?

#Love
#Connie

Conspirator , 3/1/13 5:53 AM

connie/wilma/hawkeye = three headed loser troll. Get a life troll!

scoretracker , 3/1/13 6:53 AM