• Nadal soldiers on to Brazil with knee pain

2/12/13 4:19 PM | Johan Lindahl
    Nadal soldiers on to Brazil with knee pain Rafael Nadal takes his still-questionable knees onto a second straight week of clay, with the Spaniard continuing his comeback to tennis after well over half a year away as he plays this week in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

The world No. 5 lost in a shock at the Vina del Mar final in Chile to unheralded Argentine Horacio Zeballos, and he also went down in doubles with partner Juan Monaco. The strain of nine matches in six days evidently weighed on the Nadal, with the 11-time Grand Slam winner complaining of knee pain.

"The knee is still bothering me, but you have to face adversity with the best possible face and look forward to keep working and enjoy what I like the most, to play tennis," Nadal told the ATP website.

But the Spaniard tried to put a positive spin on the worrying situation: "A week ago we didn't know how the body would respond. At least now I know we can compete at a certain level. I think that was a positive week.

"I will try to keep improving my physical sensations day by day, which is the most important thing because I don't feel that my tennis level is bad. I need more time on court."

Nadal's loss in a clay final was only his fifth out of 41 played, with Zeballos joining elite company in Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic as the only men to have beaten Nadal in a clay final.

"I was two points away from winning the title, but I said from first day that the result was not the most important thing, although I would've liked to win," he said. "To win four matches in a row is good news for me."

Comments

Soldier on, Soldier!!!

VAMOS!!

Monalysa , 2/12/13 6:13 PM

Here we go again : http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8939354/rafael-nadal-blasts-atp-s ays-playing-cement-health-risk

chr18 , 2/12/13 7:41 PM

This tournament was on clay though.On the other hand I wouldn't mind if the U.S Open was changed to grass.

stratocast51 , 2/12/13 8:12 PM

http://www.euronews.com/sport/1821154-nadal-renews-attack-on-hard-cour ts/

He acknowledged the long lay-off had been worrying but said he no longer had any fears the injury might end his career.

?It is normal to have doubts,? said the 11-times grand slam champion. ?I am very confident that it will improve and the doctors say the same and that is what is important.

?I am not worried that it could be a problem in the future.?

nadline , 2/12/13 9:04 PM

Choice quotes from the article : "After ending the career it would be nice to be able to play football with friends or tennis," he said. "But with this surface, I don't think it's going to be possible." "This is not a subject for the players, it's a matter for doctors," he said. "The ATP has to start thinking about ways to lengthen the players' careers. I can't imagine football players playing on cement, I can't imagine any other sport involving aggressive movements such as tennis being played on such aggressive surfaces such as ours. We are the only sport in the world making this mistake, and it won't change." "People like to see great rallies, long matches, and for that to happen, the 25 seconds are not enough," he said. "If the ATP wants a sport which is faster but doesn't take into consideration a lot of strategy or great rallies, then it's right doing this. I think the players in the locker rooms are not very happy with that rule." Summary : Biggest complainer in the game. I have a suggestion : Let's have every tournament on clay, not just clay but clay like Monte Carlo or Barcelona only. Then we can have one tournament per month and a 2 year ranking system and a 60 second between points rule. Anything else Mr. Nadal?

chr18 , 2/12/13 11:08 PM

In terms of what is quoted, Rafa is right. Translation: chr10-18 is an idiot.

#NoKidding

Conspirator , 2/12/13 11:42 PM

Ok maybe that was a bit reactive. Let's test this a bit.

chr18, just look at what Nadal is saying in that quote on its own merit. Forget the other stuff for a moment. Don't you think that he might have a point?

The game has changed and has become much more physically gruelling wouldn't you agree? Rafa is not the only player on tour suffering joint injuries that are exacerbated by the unforgiving hard courts.

The game is not the same as it was in the 20th century. If you disagree, why not just point out why? For example, you could argue that they simply need to speed up the courts to shorten the points instead of just outright bashing and attacking him.

From your remarks however, you come across as just looking to provoke which worked! Reference my previous reactive post.

Conspirator , 2/13/13 1:29 AM

I completely agree with Rafa...well said...although the ATP officials couldn't care less...it will all get back to them one day...and the 25 sec rule is pretty stupid...who in the world came up with such precise timing...it must have been a "genius" who managed to assess and calculate that 25 sec is enough for the players to recover from long rallies, use the towel, turn to ball kids, etc. Stupid rule from ignorant people...Both Nole and Rafa play long rallies and they need more time to prepare for the serve...30 sec would just be enough...25sec makes little sense; however, it would make little difference for the ATP but BIG difference for the players if the 30sec rule is introduced...

natashao , 2/13/13 1:30 AM

Incidentally, I have made the exact point before and I have also stated I have no problem with them putting the time between points at 30 seconds. My whole issue was it was why have a rule and never enforce it?
Regarding the hard courts it is very selfish for Nadal to try and dictate which surfaces tennis is played on because clay and grass happen to be his best surfaces. What about the hard court specialists? Aren't they allowed to make a living at what they are good at? Should 'big brother' Nadal dictate to them that they should save their joints because it's good for them? People make choices. Look at NFL players that take the risk of concussions and severe knee injuries, like torn ACL, MCL,etc. that require surgery (not wussy injuries like tendinitis or Hoffer's). They do it because they want that money. Who is Nadal to tell anybody what's good for their joints or how they should make their living? Selfish!

chr18 , 2/13/13 2:04 AM

One more thing : As a fan why is Nadal trying to deprive me of watching hard court tennis if I like it? Many tennis fans like the differences in the surfaces. It's almost like 4 different sports : clay, grass, outdoor and indoor hard courts. Why should the sport be reduced to 2 just to suit Nadal and his damn knees?

chr18 , 2/13/13 2:21 AM

"Regarding the hard courts it is very selfish for Nadal to try and dictate which surfaces tennis is played on because clay and grass happen to be his best surfaces. What about the hard court specialists?"

He's not (can't) dictate anything regarding what surfaces can be played on. He has said in the past only that there should be a greater mix with less hard courts played. Two of four slams, the WTF and 5 of 8 compulsory 1000 series are hard court. If there was less hard courts, there would be less injuries. Again, he is right that for the number of tournaments played, the surface is too unforgiving.

Team sport is not the same as individual sport. You don't lose a whole team to an injury. A running back tears an ACL, the team can still play. Football IS a brutal sport (although I enjoy it). If Adrian Peterson goes down, football as a whole doesn't really suffer the same way tennis does when Rafa or another high stature player goes out. I think you are smart enough to know the difference. Having severe tendonitis in tennis is every bit as debilitating as a torn ACL in football in terms of impact in performance. That is, in both cases, you can't so spare me the wussy bullshit rhetoric. Tennis is not football. The game has taken a big hit with Rafa out whether you like him or not.

I agree with you about court variety. I enjoy hard court tennis also but I do think that it is too heavily weighed given the physical demands in today's game.

In football, BTW, look how many rules are around protecting the QB because they're usually the big name players that the NFL knows need to not get injured. Manning goes down to injury and the Colts suck. Season ruined.

C'mon chr18, I know you have it in you to at least see the other side of the argument, whether you agree with it or not. You really feel it is just selfishness?

Think carefully.

Conspirator , 2/13/13 3:02 AM

Correction 6 of 8 compulsory masters 1000 are on hard.

To put it quantitatively, there are 17,500 points at stake in the WTF, four slams and eight mandatory masters series. 11,500 points are from hard court events. That's 66%.

23% for clay and 11% for grass.

40 years ago when the sport was much less physically demanding, three slams were on grass! There were no hard court slams.

Just needs to be more balance, that's all.

Conspirator , 2/13/13 3:12 AM

Nadal dictating which surfaces to play on? More like the ATP is dictating things! Come on Chr18, I'm sure you won't complain if they add in more grass court tournaments, maybe one or two Masters. It need not be clay but more grass in place of some hard courts. Anyway, Fed is also complaining about the slowing down of court surfaces that leads to more attritional tennis, so why not change some of the surfaces to grass then? No matter it's slow or fast grass, there won't be too much attritional tennis as its more difficult to play defensive tennis on grass to win. Rafa is making sense here, since as time goes by, the likes of Nole and Murray would also suffer from injuries if they continue to play four/five hours matches on slow hard courts frequently. Fed has his backache too, and has to reduce his playing schedule now going forward; so IMO either speed up some of the courts, or converting them to grass may be a good option.

luckystar , 2/13/13 3:22 AM

I was a HUGE Sampras fan so for me it didn't matter that the tennis wasn't "entertaining" so I understand why the grass was changed for a higher bounce looking back. As a Pete fan, it didn't matter if 90% of the points lasted three strokes or less, so long as Pete won!

Did they swing the pendulum too far? Maybe. They changed the clay too. That's why you no longer see such a predominance of clay court specialists anymore (not to say that they don't exist).

They just need to not swing it back too gar the other way but change of some sort is required. You can't make hard courts too fast or the points will be too short. So I think the balance is a few less hard court tournaments, and have those courts play a bit faster or higher bounce for instance.

Conspirator , 2/13/13 3:34 AM

I can't add much to the excellent arguments made my both Conspirator and lucky. It's way too simplistic to chalk up Rafa's thoughts to pure selfishness. It's not like he is the only one who is getting injured. The hard courts are taking a toll on other players, too.

There is nothing wussy about knee tendinitis. I only had an acute bout of it once in my life and that was enough! I wouldn't wish it on anyone and to somehow quantify it as less severe of an injury than a torn ACL, is erroneous. Also, there is no cure for knee tendinitis. It's a chronic condition that has to be managed and can flare up acutely over a period of time.

Rafa has no power to change the surfaces on which tournaments are played. He is, however, free to express his opinion. He wants to keep playing tennis. I think there are other players who would be just as happy to play in a few less hard court tournaments. We are seeing so many injuries these days.

Don't think that Nole and Murray won't be vulnerable in their careers as they meet more frequently in grueling physical matches. Regarding football, there have been steps taken to try and ensure the safety and well-being of players. It's in everyone's interests to see the best players being able to do what they do best. That goes for football or tennis. The sport loses when one of its best has to be out for a long period of time.

Nativenewyorker , 2/13/13 3:35 AM

^^^ LOWER bounce.

Conspirator , 2/13/13 3:35 AM

It's obvious Nadal is working his corner and I understand it. Sure more grass tournaments would make sense. But there are many big servers/hard court specialists that like the amount of hard court events (and hate clay............American players) so he's not speaking for the players on tour. He's speaking for himself.

chr18 , 2/13/13 3:37 AM

Even if he WAS just speaking for himself (which I'm not saying BTW), you are kind of admitting he has a point by agreeing that there should be more grass tournaments.

Coming from a Rafa ha.....critic, that's good enough for me.

Conspirator , 2/13/13 4:07 AM

If you read the entire article it seems Nadal doesn't want there to be any tournaments played on cement courts at all. In fact he says it should be up to doctors to decide if they should be allowed to play on cement. That's the part that irks me the most. I have no problem with more grass tournaments or a 30 second rule so long as it's enforced.

chr18 , 2/13/13 4:19 AM

Well, even if Rafa doesn't want any tennis to be played on hard courts, he's entitled to his own opinions, just like Fed wanting most courts to speed up. I think what's more important is for players to have a choice, ie, by reducing the mandatory events and allowing players more choices to play on the surfaces they prefer.

PS. In fact, I hope they speed up some of the hard courts, as I think Rafa would also benefit from it, at least it cuts down the long rallies and he'll spend less time in his matches on the hard courts.

luckystar , 2/13/13 4:37 AM

Chr18 is either a moron or pretending ignorance. American players hate clay because they weren't trained on it. They are pretty one dimensional and haven't learnt how to construct points. No wonder US tennis is in such a dismal state!
USTA has realized the folly of training players on hard courts and has opened clay courts to train new inductees.
Would chr18's Fed have become the player he is if he hadn't trained on clay courts?
Chr18 has failed to mention why fans would miss hard court tennis. What is great and unique about hard court tennis which chr18 would miss?
As for fans preferring to watch players killing or injuring themselves, such fans can watch boxing or wrestling. And players preferring to earn their living by wrecking their bodies would probably also opt for such sports.
Current players would not have epected tennis to destroy their bodies as Tennis is not supposed to be violent.
Tomorrow sadist fans like chr18 might want to see tennis played on nails but should ATP oblige such fans?
Hard courts were introduced not for the pleasure of sadists but out of cost considerations as natural surfaces are expensive.
Having now discovered hard courts are bad for the players, ATP should gradually phase out these sadists' delights. Players' health is above cost.
Even in a dangerous sport like Formula One, no one has objected to improvements in car technology and safety measures. Nor has anyone said that if fans enjoy seeing players killing or maiming themselves on the track, changes which prevent injuries and death should not be brought about.

holdserve , 2/13/13 4:43 AM

And how does chr18 know that players prefer to destroy themselves playing day and day out on on hard courts?
As per the few public statements we have had from other players, it looks like they are in favor of 2 year calendar. Jerzy claimed that Rafa, Muzza and Nole represented their issues. Only smug Fed was not bothered. Which is pretty much what Rafa said at Australian Open 2012. On what basis does chr18 think other players are in favor of wreaking their bodies?

holdserve , 2/13/13 4:54 AM

I am baffled by this idea that Rafa is being selfish in expressing his opinion about playing on hard courts, while Fed is supposed to be the great humanitarian when he wants to speed up the courts. Why isn't he then being selfish? I don't see how you can differentiate when players are speaking about what they personally would like to see regarding court surfaces and conditions.

The decision to convert the AO and USO from grass to hard court, wasn't made to benefit certain players or for altruistic reasons. It was done because it's cheaper to maintain hard courts. Simple as that. It's interesting that there is this passionate defense of hard courts by chr18, as though the future of tennis itself depends on it. Most of the history of tennis was played on clay and grass courts. That's what the sport was for most of its existence. It was only recently in the history of tennis that hard courts appeared. Somehow the sport survived and thrived long before hard courts came along.

Nativenewyorker , 2/13/13 5:22 AM

@chr18 , 2/12/13 11:08 PM

The quote was in keeping with the subject of this thread. The clue is in the title. I only quoted what Rafa said about his recovery in contrast to whah is implied in the heading, 'Nadal soldiers on to Brazil with knee pain'.

Whilst I agree with EVERYTHING he said in the interview, I did not think it was relevant to post them on this thread.

Vamos Rafa

nadline , 2/13/13 8:22 AM

I've read some other comments on other forum. Some people brought up some good points. If the 25 secs rule is enforced strictly, it may end up benefitting the fittest guys out there, as they're the guys who are fit enough to recover within the 25 secs after the long rallies whilst the less fit guys would suffer. I feel they've to rethink this 25 secs rule, if not then speed up the courts and discourage long rallies. I think playing on quicker hard courts may be less harmful to the bodies than playing on slow hard courts.

Rafa has so far sticked within the 25 secs rule now that he's back, I think he's just concerned about those long rallies that he'll have against Nole and Murray. I certainly hope to see the hard courts being sped up, if they can't convert some to grass courts, as that way, they'll cut down on the long rallies, hence cutting down on time spent on the courts and thus reducing chances of damages to the players' bodies. I think Fed was fortunate that the hard courts he played on during his younger/prime days were quicker ones. As they slow things down through the years, even Fed was complaining about the hard courts. I remember very well in 2009, after his frustrating results in the earlier part of the hard court season, coupled with his back problem (he skipped Dubai and the DC tie because of that), he commented something like 'thank goodness the clay season is round the corner'. Even the hard court king back then was frustrated with the hard court events that he had to play on.

luckystar , 2/13/13 8:31 AM

As Nadal is the most charismatic player in the game, I think they SHOULD listen to him because he sells the tickets and breathes life into tennis. If Rafa says hard courts are bad for the players, then they must be. The ATP should know where their bread is buttered and who brings in the bacon

Steve Flink: Nadal stunned by inspired Zeballos in Vina del Mar final
2/11/2013 1:00:00 PM

He had been away from tournament tennis for no fewer than 222 days, across more than seven months, through the most trying period of his illustrious career. He returned in Vina del Mar as both a dreamer and a hard realist, hoping he could capture the ATP World Tour 250 event on his beloved clay, knowing how difficult it is to recover your old form when competing becomes tantamount to a brand new experience. He probably realized that fans from all parts of the world were pulling for him unabashedly, expecting this eleven time Grand Slam tournament champion to reemerge triumphantly in Chile, wanting him to celebrate his comeback on the best possible terms.

In the end, it did not quite work out that way for the estimable Rafael Nadal, the most charismatic player in the game.

http://www.tennischannel.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=120 78

nadline , 2/13/13 8:31 AM

chr18 , 2/12/13 11:08 PM

This is a misquote of what Nadal said, what he actualy said was:

"I'm slow, I recognise that. But for me, to apply those 25 seconds in all circumstances will affect the quality of the game. If you strictly apply 25 seconds, my US Open final in 2011, especially the third set, and the Australian Open final in 2012 would not have the same level. It's impossible to keep on playing incredible points one after the other if you don't have time to take a breath. It happens that I?m slow after a normal point. When the umpires sanctions me then or gives me a warning, no problem. But if you?ve just played a crazy point, no. Otherwise, what will happen after an enormous point is that your serve or the shot after that will miss the line by 3 meters. That's not tennis, that. They tell me that those changes are made for the tv public, but don't you think that those people watching tennis on tv would prefer beautiful points being disputed? No?"

If the want tennis to be like ballet then the 25 secs is enough, but tennis is a sport.

nadline , 2/13/13 8:54 AM

More grass court tournaments I can agree with. More clay - no thank you.

And yes, definitely need a few more faster courts. I don't understand why Indian Wells and Miami are as slow as they are.

As far as the 25 s rule goes, it is still something to the discretion of the chair as far as I know. And I think the chair should enforce it if the previous point was not that long.

I remember Sampras's QF vs Corretja at the USO in 1996 when Sampras was throwing up and then got a warning for delaying play. Seeing as that kind of thing doesn't happen nowadays, I think officials have been more than reasonable with the rule.

samprallica , 2/13/13 10:34 AM

I don't mind having hard court tennis but I do think they need to lessen the number of compulsory hard court tourneys or at least introduce the clay /grass tourneys as an alternative and in the same time so that tennis players have a choice which to play...I am into sports myself and I know when we worm up running on cement hurts my knees while running on ground does good for the whole body, not only the knees...and I do it for half an hour while tennis players run on cement for hours doing strenuous moves and sliding (I must say I admire Nole for being able to slide on cement like he does; I always think how dangerous it is for his knees but luckily his body holds up well; however one must wonder for how long will he be able to do the grueling rallies and slide without injuring himself...)

Anyway, Rafa certainly has the point. Give tennis players a choice similar to what we have in February: one can chose to play Brasil on clay and other can go and enjoy hard court game in Rotterdam...the only thing why I know ATP would oppose this idea is money. They want as many top players showing at the same event because that ensures crowded stands...I think Rafa opted to play on clay on his way back to competitive tennis for two reasons: the main one of course is his health, his vulnerable knees and him being natural clay-courter so he must have expected to be able to get back into form faster by playing on his beloved surface? the other reason is to support Latin America economy by showing up at those tourneys that would without Rafa be less visited and would not earn as much money. So it all comes to money eventually...

natashao , 2/13/13 10:41 AM

Along the same lines as natashao, for the 250s and 500s, they should get half of the top 10 to play on hard and the other half to play on clay or even grass. The SA countries can have grass courts probably all year round.

nadline , 2/13/13 10:59 AM

I hereby propose Nadal should be made the Surgeon General of Sports in charge of regulating the safety of sporting athletes worldwide. Imagine all the basketball courts would be played on grass or clay(don't slip guys!). All sports played on ice would cease to exist because if cement is too hard to play on ice must be as well. No more NHL, figure skating,etc. Bowling alleys would be banned because you can't put down clay or grass for that. At the Summer Olympics Usain Bolt would have to run on grass presumably. Maybe sand would slow down his times lol. Yes everybody would have healthier joints because Nadal said no playing on hard surfaces. Thanks for the leadership. I really appreciate it big brother. :)

chr18 , 2/13/13 1:21 PM

Ok. I was right the first time around. Just had to make sure.

You're officially an idiot.

Conspirator , 2/13/13 1:39 PM

That's a stupid proposal by chr18. Who cares about other sports, we're talking about tennis here. For other sports, they've their own to advocate changes here and there. Just keep the talks here to tennis.

Rafa can have his own opinions, and it depends on how one wants to interpret them. Self serving or not, there're truth in what he said, ie hard courts, especially slower ones, would not be good for the players, too much long rallies and attrition are certainly not good for the joints. Rafa mentioned earlier on that he knew he was slow and so if he was given a warning he had no complaint about that; however he wished for the umpire to exercise discretion should there be a delay after a long rally.

luckystar , 2/13/13 2:20 PM

There should DEFINIETLY be less hard courts even if it is just to give chr18 the more variety he claims to want, let alone the injury implications.

At the 500 series level, it is even worse! Eight of 11 500 series are on hard court or 73%!!!! 50% at the slam level and 75% Masters 1000.

As the game has gotten more physically demanding, the trend has been to move from clay/grass to hard court at all levels of the game. How f$%ked up is that???

Rafa is right on as usual.

I used to think that the National Hockey League was the worst run professional sport but tennis is much more screwed up. Another fine example is the ATP turning down Larry Ellison's offer to increase the prize money at IW. How messed up is that? Just goes to show that the ATP doesn't represent the players. No wonder Rafa left.

Players need a real union.

#SolidarityMyBrothers

Conspirator , 2/13/13 2:26 PM

chr18, 2/13/13 1:21 PM

if you knew anything about running you would know that Usain Bolt does not run on hard surface. The effect of running on hard surface- to be specific "the cartilage between your femur and your tibia is wore down which could eventually lead to arthritis". Running tracks are latex or polyurethane or similar specifically designed surfaces to serve athletes and they by no means classify as "hard surfaces"...

natashao , 2/13/13 2:30 PM

In a perfect world, there would be 3 hard, grass and clay court masters series events each. But guess what,we don't live in a perfect world. Yes, hard courts are brutal on the body, but all the ATP really cares about is making a profit.(as do all other business organisations) Maintaining hard courts is too cheap and easy for tournaments to suddenly start switching to clay and grass.

tj600 , 2/13/13 2:48 PM

tj600, 2/13/13 2:48 PM

completely, utterly true...

natashao , 2/13/13 3:06 PM

Profits will drop as top players become injured.

#ShortSight

Conspirator , 2/13/13 3:34 PM

I've travelled to Montreal to attend the tournament the last two times it was played there. This year? Probably not because there is a reasonable probability that Rafa won't be there. I'm not going to invest in over $1000 in tickets plus airfare with that unknows. I'm not alone.

#LostRevenue

Conspirator , 2/13/13 3:53 PM

Nadal is on an absolute rampage this week

now complaining about conditions of balls and courts in Sao Paulo

RickyDimon , 2/13/13 4:37 PM

Apparently they didn't do the lines there properly at the Brazil Open, some parts of the lines came off on the court during Rafa's practice session. It's no wonder he has to complain!

luckystar , 2/13/13 5:13 PM

As suspected, Rafa is calling for LESS hard courts, not NO hard courts. Isn't htat fair?

Regarding the hard courts it is very selfish for ATP to try and dictate which surfaces tennis is played on because clay and grass happen to be his best surfaces. What about the clay and grass specialists? Aren't they allowed to make a living at what they are good at? Selfish!

One more thing : As a fan why is ATP trying to deprive me of watching clay and grass if I like it? Many tennis fans like the differences in the surfaces. It's almost like 4 different sports : clay, grass, outdoor and indoor hard courts. Why should the sport be reduced to primarily hard court just to suit short-sighted ATP?

#WhatComesAroundGoesAround

Conspirator , 2/13/13 5:54 PM

TRY AGAIN LOL...

As suspected, Rafa is calling for LESS hard courts, not NO hard courts. Isn't that reasonable?

Regarding the hard courts it is very selfish for ATP to try and dictate which surfaces tennis is played on because hard courts are cheaper. What about the clay and grass specialists? Aren't they allowed to make a living at what they are good at? Selfish!

#WhatComesAroundGoesAround

Conspirator , 2/13/13 5:56 PM

?The ATP worries too little about the players,? Nadal told the Associated Press. ?It should care more for them.?

Nadal, 26, considered the greatest clay court player of recent times, said hard courts were ?too tough? on players' bodies and made it difficult to avoid injuries. Despite that, the ATP continues to add hard-court tournaments to the schedule, instead of events on more forgiving surfaces, such as clay and grass, he said.

#SmugSelfishArrogantShortsighte dATP
#VAMOSRAFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conspirator , 2/13/13 6:13 PM

American James Blake had the same injury and also elected to forego surgery. He was sorry, because it cost him nearly a year at less than full strength; even after surgery, it took him three more months to get back in tennis shape.

#RafaIsRight
#SmugSelfishArrogantShortsighte dATP
#VAMOSRAFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conspirator , 2/13/13 6:16 PM

chr18, 2/13/13 2:04 AM

chr18 would have made a good Roman.

#ThrowThemToTheLions
#RafaIsRight
#SmugSelfishArrogantShor tsightedATP
#VAMOSRAFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conspirator , 2/13/13 6:46 PM

The end result was a bucket handle tear of my lateral meniscus (my torn meniscus flipped like a bucket handle into my knee joint locking my knee). I was forced to immediately retire and be carted off the court in a wheelchair. Like most players, I hate retiring and had only retired one other time in my life when I tore my MCL at Wimbledon Qualifying in 2005 (against Novak Djokovic of all people!). -- Brian Baker

#ThrowThemToTheLions
#RafaIsRi ght
#SmugSelfishArrogantShor tsightedATP
#VAMOSRAFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conspirator , 2/13/13 7:12 PM

Andrea Petkovic?s bad luck in Australia continues. For the third time in her career she suffered a major injury Down Under, this time suffering a meniscus tear in her right knee that forced her to retire in her first match at Hopman Cup.

Not bad luck. More like bad hardcourts.

#StopTheCarnage

#AllHardCourtInjuries
#HardCour tSpecialist
#AnotherOneBitesTheDust
#ThrowThemToTheLions
#RafaIsRig ht

Conspirator , 2/13/13 8:40 PM

Cilic is suffering with a patella tendon injury which will also cause him to miss the Australian Open.

Missed two months and didn't get his game back until May i.e. CLAY season.

#AndAnotherOneGoneAndAnotherOneGone
#AllH ardCourtInjuries
#ThrowThemToTheLions
#SmugSelfishArrogantShortsight edATP
#RafaIsRight

Conspirator , 2/13/13 8:50 PM

chr18, 2/13/13 1:21 PM,

This post perfectly illustrates the futility of trying to have a reasonable discussion with a pure Rafa hater. It's so full of hyperbole and illogical ranting and raving, that it's impossible to get through to someone like this.

Then there is the straw man argument, i.e. bringing in other sports such as basketball, hockey and football. Rafa is talking about tennis! Period! Also notice that this person has no problem with any of Fed's complaints and his desire to have the courts speeded up. After all, he's Fed, right? No matter that he is advocating for something that would benefit him. So is that being selfish? Should Fed decide court surfaces and conditions? You can't criticize Rafa and give Fed a pass for doing the same thing.

Also, sarcasm is not a substitute for making an argument! If you have a valid point to make, then do so without just blathering on about Rafa being designated Surgeoon General for all sports regulating safety conditions for all athletes.

natashao, 2/13/13 2:30 PM,

Thanks for pointing out that Usain Bolt doesn't run on hard surfaces! Sometimes facts and knowledge is a good thing!

Conspirator,

Thanks for pointing out all of the players who are suffering debilitating injuries that force them to pull out of events. It's not just Rafa who is suffering from playing too much on hard courts.

Finally, regarding Ricky's comment that Rafa is on a rampage, I read all about it on vb. He was furious about the condition of the balls. They are using a different kind of ball that causes a lot of problems. Also, the lines on the court are disappearing and have to be redone. I know that he walked out of a practice session because of the balls. I also read that Uncle Toni had trouble with security and couldn't get into the venue! They didn't know who he was and it was a mess until it got straightened out.

All of the players have been complaining about the balls and court conditions. It's not just Rafa. I hope that this gets sorted out, because I don't want him to be adversely affected by poor conditions.

Nativenewyorker , 2/13/13 9:32 PM

Wait luckystar at 2:20 thought I was being serious?????????
Conspirator, 10 posts in a row really?
NNY, right.

chr18 , 2/13/13 10:35 PM

If there weren't so many players with knee injuries due to excessive hard courts, I wouldn't have so many posts!!!!

#RafaIsRight
#SmugArrogantSelfishATP

Conspirator , 2/13/13 11:03 PM

Oh please! Now chr18 is playing the - I was only joking card! No, you were being nasty, petty and mean-spirited, which is how you are when it's about Rafa! I said it was sarcasm, so I knew you weren't serious, but that in no way makes it right or okay! Making fun of Rafa's concerns about playing on hard courts by saying he should be appointed Surgeon General, is disrespectful and disingenuous.

Also, who is now counting posts? At least Conspirator had facts and substance to support this idea that hard courts are causing too many injuries to too many players. This is not just about Rafa! That was the point Conspirator was trying to make, but one more time chr18 is trying to deflect attention from facts and just act surprised that he made ten posts! Gee, I didn't know there was a limit on how many posts one could make on a topic thread!

Honestly, this discussion isn't going anywhere, because we are dealing with someone who just wants to hate on Rafa. That's it. So whatever reasonable or coherent or factually substantive arguments any of us can make to support the idea that hard courts are causing more players to sustain serious injuries and pull out of tournaments, will just get ignored.

Nativenewyorker , 2/14/13 1:13 AM

There's an easy explanation for his hate.

#10-18

Conspirator , 2/14/13 1:54 AM

Wow! Look at the popularity of fast hard court specialist tennis at the SAP Open Ivo vs Johnson match!!!! Wait, I think that's chr18 up in the nosebleed seats...

Beyond The Baseline ?@SI_BTBaseline
Karlovic vs. Johnson in San Jose. There might be more ushers than fans. Brutal. #atp http://instagr.am/p/VsXskGN5tm/

Conspirator , 2/14/13 3:13 AM

Completely agree with nats, but think they should have fewer compulsory tournaments in total, then players could choose whether they play more clay or more hard. If the top players could choose not to play on some of the harsher hard surfaces, perhaps the organisers would be forced to do something.
The list of players who get knee/thigh/leg/groin injuries over the course of their careers is very long, it's just that a high profile player like Rafa gets a lot more media attention.

deuce , 2/14/13 8:32 AM