• Nadal not discouraged by two defeats in comeback finals

2/11/13 4:13 PM | Johan Lindahl
    Nadal not discouraged by two defeats in comeback finals Despite losses in both singles and doubles finals in his comeback event on clay in Chile, Rafael Nadal will soldier on with his return to tennis after an absence lasting well over seven months due to knee injuries.

The top seed and heavy favourite in Vina del Mar on the Pacific coast lost the final of that ATP 250 event to unheralded Argentine Horacio Zeballos 6-7(2), 7-6(6), 6-4. The defeat leaves Nadal to looking to go a step further this week as he plays in Sao Paolo and takes to the doubles court with Argentine David Nalbandian,

Zeballos is only the third player after Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer to beat Nadal in a clay court final. "It's a dream for me," said "the winner. "To be able to play a final against Nadal was already good enough for me. It's a moment that will stay in my memory for the rest of my life."

Nadal will remain on fifth in the world and insists he has no timetable for trying to improve his ranking after losing just 14 games as he reached the final. "It was a great tournament for me, if we take everything, it was positive.

"It's true I wanted to win the final but it wasn't possible. He made things better than me and I didn't play my best match. I just need to keep working, practicing with hope, motivation and the right attitude. I hope it's the beginning of a lot of good things for me."

Nadal will stick to clay this week in Brazil and then travels to Acapulco for that event prior to testing himself on North American hard courts for the first time in a year.

Comments

You're on the right track Rafa.

Vamos

nadline , 2/11/13 5:51 PM

VINA DEL MAR, Chile -- Rafael Nadal says testing for performance-enhancing drugs in sport should strike a balance between catching the cheats and respecting the athletes.

"Not everyone has to pay for some sinners," Nadal said Friday at the VTR Open in Chile.

Nadal said earlier this week that he had passed six blood and urine tests since losing June 28 at Wimbledon. He took seven months off to recover from a left knee injury before returning in Chile.

An 11-time Grand Slam winner, Nadal said it should be made public who is being tested and how frequently.

"If I go through a lot -- or very few doping controls -- people should know," he said. "Though I went for seven months without competing, I went through a lot of tests."

"I don't have to justify anything," he added. "This information should be open to the public."

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8931084/rafael-nadal- says-drug-testing-needs-strike-balance

Rafa is quite right that the whole thing should be transparent; that will stop the unfair finger pointing and defamation of character of innocent people.

nadline , 2/11/13 5:59 PM

Rafael Nadal is correct about drug testing transparency

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1523845-rafael-nada l-is-correct-about-need-for-drug-testing-transparency?utm_source=newsl etter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis

nadline , 2/11/13 6:36 PM

I would like to know how many contrlols have been made to Djokovic since 2011.

Emiliano55 , 2/11/13 7:18 PM

^^ I don't know the exact figure, but suffice to say that the controls applied to Djokovic, Federer, Nadal etc... would not be enough to catch them if they were cheating.

As far as I remember, Djokovic and Nadal were the most tested in 2011 amongst the top 4.

samprallica , 2/11/13 7:55 PM

Djokovic had not tested for 6 months before AO!!

KMA , 2/11/13 7:58 PM

Nole was referring to six months without blood testing. More proof that testing in tennis is a joke.

I don't understand how Nadal has been tested so much OOC recently. That figure he is quoting is off the charts as far as OOC testing employed in tennis is concerned. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that he would be taking medication and had informed the ITF - I'm not sure.

samprallica , 2/11/13 10:20 PM

nole was tested at the AO after he had won the finals.

rfzr , 2/11/13 11:51 PM

^^ Yup you are right. This is how it works with the ITF - every player is tested once he loses, and therefore the winner himself is only tested after the finals. One test per grand slam event is not sufficient - and I am not sure it is even a blood test.

I guess it is difficult to know where to draw the line because the practice of drawing blood for tests isn't something I really like but needs to be done and is probably fair enough considering how much they earn.

samprallica , 2/12/13 11:00 AM

Ironically its `Count Djokula` that is always coming back from the dead just when you think you've got him, and coming after your blood ;)

Twinge , 2/12/13 3:32 PM