• Nadal making long-anticipated return in Vina del Mar

2/3/13 1:36 PM | Ricky Dimon
    Nadal making long-anticipated return in Vina del Mar This will be a VTR Open like no other. For the first time since the second round of last summer's Wimbledon Championships, Rafael Nadal will be back on the tennis court for ATP tournament action.

Look no further than the top of the VTR Open draw and you will see a name that has not been on display since Wimbledon.You will also know, right away, that the VTR Open is going to be something special.

Rafael Nadal, whose most recent knee injury has resulted in the lengthiest layoff of his career, will be back in action for the first time in more than seven months when he takes the court this week in Vina del Mar. Nadal's last appearance was an infamous loss to Lukas Rosol in the second round at the All-England Club.

The fifth-ranked Spaniard (now one spot behind countryman David Ferrer), has a first-round bye before making his debut on Wednesday against either Guido Pella or a qualifier. Potential semifinal opponents for Nadal include Nicolas Massu, Albert Montanes, and seventh-seeded Daniel Gimeno-Traver. Rounding out a modest top half of the draw are Tommy Robredo plus seeds Jeremy Chardy and Paolo Lorenzi.

"I need weeks of working on the circuit," Nadal cautioned. "This is my first week and I don't think the goals are the same that the ones I will have in two more months. I have to take it slowly and be humble to know that things won't be as good as they were before my injury. I need to be patient.

"I hope the tournament will help me to get the feeling I need to add week after week after a long period without competition. Results are the least important thing right now."

Nadal is potentially on a collision course for the final with doubles partner Juan Monaco, the No. 2 seed (they kick off their doubles campaign on Tuesday). Monaco has been dealing with various injuries, but he picked up his first win of the year on Friday by overcoming Florian Mayer in a four-set Davis Cup rubber at home in Argentina. Among the other contenders in the bottom half are Albert Ramos, Carlos Berlocq, Andrey Kuznetsov, and Filippo Volandri.

Comments

The whole tennis world is looking forward to Rafa's return. Rafa puts the fizz in tennis.

Good Luck in Chile.

Vamos Rafa

nadline , 2/3/13 3:52 PM

Rafael Nadal makes his much anticipated comeback at this week's ATP Vina Del Mar, but the eleven-time Grand Slam champion is not expecting immediate success on the tour.

All eyes will be on Chile this week as the tennis world waits to see what kind of condition Nadal will be in after seven months out of the game. To be quite honest, no one really knows what to expect. Most players, even top ten stars would take a while to get close to challenging for ATP titles once again but Nadal is so much better than everyone else on clay, we wouldn't be surprised if he goes on to sweep the board over the next month during the South American 'Golden Swing' .

Nadal is aware that his many fans will be expecting plenty of success over the next few weeks especially as these tournaments are some of the weakest clay-court events on the calendar but he warned that he may take a little while to rediscover his best form.

"I need weeks of working [on] the circuit," he told reporters.

"This is my first week and I don't think the goals are the same that the ones I will have in two more months. I have to take it slowly and be humble to know that things won't be as good as they were before my injury. I need to be patient."

"I hope the tournament will help me to get the feeling I need to add week after week after a long period without competition. If my knee doesn't hurt I have no fear. I've had had more serious injuries in the past and I got stronger after them. This is the injury that has sidelined me the longest so maybe it will take me a bit longer to get back my confidence, the good feeling on court, but if my knee doesn't hurt I don't see why I couldn't get back my movements and game style."

Nadal's first competitive match back will be on the doubles court. He's scheduled to team up with Juan Monaco this week and they plays Czechs Lukas Dlouhy and Frantisek Cermak on Tuesday. He's top seed in the singles draw and after a first round bye, he will play on Wednesday.

nadline , 2/3/13 4:25 PM

^^^
http://www.crunchsports.com/category/Tennis/ATP-Vina-Del-Mar-Rafa el-Nadal-says-he-needs-to-be-patient-201302030010/

nadline , 2/3/13 7:59 PM

vamos.

rfzr , 2/4/13 12:36 AM

tennis makes no sense without rafa.

vamos.

rfzr , 2/4/13 12:41 AM

Rafa already taping up that left knee whilst practicing in Chile... not good.

willmw101 , 2/4/13 1:31 AM

Early days. We've seen Rafa tape his knee(s) out of precaution for a long while before. The docs told him he was fit to compete on the circuit.

chlorostoma , 2/4/13 2:18 AM

I am glad to find Rafa has decided to be patient and not look for results in his first tournament. He has to play himself in to form and fitness in the next few months so he can win RG again. He just cannot afford to push his knee too much now.

holdserve , 2/4/13 2:54 AM

Nicely, Chile also gave national hero Nico Massu a WC. I will be surprised if we don't see some exciting tennis.

Vamos, Rafa!

mara002 , 2/4/13 5:15 AM

tennis makes no sense without rafa.
vamos.