• Federer tames Tomic to reach Australian Open fourth round

1/19/13 5:53 PM | Ricky Dimon
    Federer tames Tomic to reach Australian Open fourth round Roger Federer takes care of Bernard Tomic in straight sets on Saturday in Melbourne. Next up for Federer is a fourth-round showdown against Milos Raonic.

So much for Bernard Tomic feeling "unstoppable."

At times on Saturday night, Tomic played tennis that just about nobody else would have been able to stop, but Roger Federer had more than enough in his own arsenal to subdue the 20-year-old 6-4, 7-6(5), 6-1 in the third round of the Australian Open. Federer saved the only break point he faced and won 88 percent of his first-serve points to advance in one hour and 58 minutes.

The second-ranked Swiss took control right away, breaking in the first game of the match when his opponent netted a forehand. Tomic never had a break point to get back on serve, but he raised his level throughout the remainder of the opening set. The Australian extended Federer to deuce at 3-2 and 4-3 before fighting off three set points on his own serve at 3-5. Nonetheless, Federer wrapped things up with an easier hold in the 10th game.

That led to an even more competitive second--what was without question the tournament's best set of tennis to date. Tomic fired 21 winners alone throughout the 13 games while Federer recorded a clean 18 winners and six unforced errors. Tomic survived deuce games at 0-0, 4-4, and 5-5--including an especially epic ninth game--and managed to force a tiebreaker.

Federer found himself trailing by mini-breaks at 2-0 and again at both 3-1 and 4-1, but he put a decisive end to the deficit. Melbourne's four-time champion won the last four points of the 'breaker starting at 3-5 as he simply refused to miss from the back of the court even when his opponent could do no wrong on the other side of the net.

Tomic had thrown everything at Federer in the second and he could not keep up the pace during set three. The world No. 43 donated serve at 0-1 after saving three break points and did not recover. Federer raced away for victory, ultimately converting his first match point at 5-1, 40-0 with a service winner.

"I thought it was a good match overall," said the No. 2 seed. "I thought the intensity was good. We had tough rallies. The crowds were great. So I really enjoyed myself out there. Obviously, the result is something I was hoping for, but not sure going into it. So I'm just really pleased that the outcome is what I was hoping for. I'm happy also with my playing. I thought I played really good today."

"I thought it was a really good match," agreed Tomic, who had won his 10 previous matches in 2013. "Only he beat me. He stopped me. He beat me. Full credit to him. I'm going to continue to work hard. It's just a matter of time when I get up to the big group of boys in the Top 10."

Next up for Federer is Milos Raonic, who dismissed Philipp Kohlschreiber in straight sets.

Comments

Good quality tennis from both players.......

hrsikesa , 1/19/13 6:25 PM

The quality of play was too good, and the patience and experience of the winner infectious. Wow a thirty year old against a twenty something and still looking good most of the times, retrievals, angles, placements and anticipation are class appart, something very different from the grinders. Good match. Wish the second set had gone Tomic's way to see some more drama. Hope to get that Monday against Milos.

newfangkc , 1/19/13 8:13 PM

I like it that Fed has a 'tougher than usual' early draw. It has made him have to be sharp.

chr18 , 1/19/13 10:25 PM

tomic is fun to watch. massive flat strokes which are so unreadable.

rfzr , 1/19/13 11:19 PM

Well I didn't see any grinding tennis so far except in that Simon/Monfils match (the battle of the sick and injured). Nole vs Stepanek was a fun match, no grinding. Murray vs Berankis was also a fun match even when Murray wasn't playing his best tennis. Not much grinding so far, as the courts seem quicker this year. Don't blame the players for grinding, blame the courts for being too slow for players to hit outright winners. Nole and Murray (the supposed grinders) are too good to be called grinders; they play well on quick hard courts too.

luckystar , 1/20/13 1:01 AM

Tomic got what he deserved. The second set was really high quality, from both men. Not very smart to say you are unstoppable. Maybe next time they meet he may sneak a set. But even 11 years older Fed is still a different level. Showed no mercy in the 3rd set. Clinical from the great man, Raonic will cause problems but his return game isnt up to scratch to troublr Fed when he is serving this well 88% of fisrt serve points won is too good.

brothdog , 1/20/13 9:02 AM

The only way Milos can take a set off Feddy is with a tiebreak unfortunately.

Fed in three. Over/under 14 games.

#Humble

Conspirator , 1/20/13 11:47 AM

I think Fed will find it difficult to put away Raonic. Raonic actually can cause a lot of discomfort to Fed with his serve as was evident in all their previous meetings.

netcord , 1/20/13 4:06 PM

Raonic's serve is still on but his groundies are not where they need to be vs Fed. Raonic was playing better against Fed last year. I did miss his match vs Kohl. Given the score, perhaps he picked up his ground game. I hope so. Otherwise it will be three straight for Fed again.

Since we are on the topic of Federer, seriously give it up for the only player to not have been broken yet on the men's side against good competition at 31 yrs.

#Goat
#Humble

Conspirator , 1/20/13 4:50 PM

I'm more interested in the Tsonga/Gasquet match, as I'm curious who would progress to meet presumably Fed in the QF. I secretly hope for Gasquet to win, as he's playing very good tennis these days and the most impressive thing about him now is his mental toughness during tight situations. I feel he has improved on his physical fitness and maybe that helps him to be more mentally focused in his matches. Gasquet vs Fed, well that's something I'm looking forward to.

luckystar , 1/20/13 5:08 PM

^^^^

I am with in wanting to see Tsonga/Gasquet. I think that could be a really good match. I honestly don't have a favorite in this one. Of course, it would be nice to see Gasquet get through here. It's hard to predict which Tsonga will show up.

Nativenewyorker , 1/20/13 5:38 PM

Tomic played ok but he is also too tall for tennis, Raonic wouldnt be easy but dont think this surface doesnt suits Raonics game Federer in 4 sets is the pick

tennis2011 , 1/20/13 5:44 PM

Tsonga is obviously a bigger threat to federer than gasquet, as tsonga is so explosive. If the quarterfinal is federer vs gasquet, fed will roll him over in straights.

tj600 , 1/20/13 6:00 PM

^^^ Not true. Never underestimate any opponent. Tsonga doesn't play with his brain, that's the problem with him. How many times he had his chances during tight matches but ended up blowing all of them, eg his FO match vs Nole.? Also, a lot depends on Fed's match vs Raonic. If that match goes to five sets and with many tie break sets, than it may take its toll on Fed. Both Gasquet and Tsonga have their chances against Fed IMO.

luckystar , 1/20/13 6:20 PM