• Tomic topples Anderson for first career ATP title

1/12/13 6:02 PM | Ricky Dimon
    Tomic topples Anderson for first career ATP title Bernard Tomic holds off Kevin Anderson in three sets on Saturday in Sydney. Tomic wins his first title while Anderson falls to 2-2 lifetime in ATP finals.

Bernard Tomic hoisted his first career ATP winner's trophy--the first of what he predicts will be many--after defeating Kevin Anderson 6-3, 6-7(2), 6-3 in the final of the Apia International on Saturday night. Tomic struck seven aces without double-faulting and never dropped serve as he triumphed in one hour and 55 minutes.

The 20-year-old burst out of the gates with no apparent nerves despite having never previously contested a final. He broke right away for a 2-0 lead and did not come close to giving it back throughout the opener, surrendering only seven points in five service games without facing a break point.

Anderson bounced back by displaying similar mental strength to what was also seen in the semifinals, when he saved two match points to beat Julien Benneteau. Anderson lost a mere two service points--while going 21 for 21 on first-serve points--in the second set and dominated the ensuing tiebreaker.

The trend continued in set three as the 6'8'' South African fought off six break points. Finally, however, Anderson cracked at the finish line with a double-fault to donate serve at 3-4. Tomic made no mistake with the championship on his racket one game later.

"It's an amazing feeling," the 64th-ranked Aussie assured. "Now I know what it feels like to win a tournament and it's the best feeling in the world. I'm so happy I won. To do it here in Sydney is awesome. I can't ask for anything better.

"I'm so proud of myself. Can't stop here now. I've got to look to the next tournament and keep playing the tennis I've been playing. It's my first title and I know I'll win a lot more if I keep this attitude up. I'm looking forward to Melbourne. I feel unstoppable."

Comments

legendary Bernard Tomic quotes from the entire week - http://tiny.cc/7w8sqw

RickyDimon , 1/12/13 7:13 PM

What an arrogant schmuck this guy is

Emiliano55 , 1/12/13 7:33 PM

I'm going to use the advice I learnt from myself ....
#SuperHumb1e #Lol

akd2011 , 1/12/13 10:31 PM

So Tomic now feels unstoppable? Good grief! Can't this kid just shut up? Do I now assume that Tomic will give 100% in every match and no more admissions that he did not do so from here on out? One would hope so.

This guy's arrogance and ego is way ahead of what he has achieved thus far in this sport. He should really just keep quiet and work on his game. Actions speak so much louder than words.

Nativenewyorker , 1/13/13 6:11 AM

Lol "unstoppable," probably said in the euphoric moments after winning his first title, but..... imagine if Andy and co ever said that?
#HyenaFeedingFest

deuce , 1/13/13 7:37 AM

Way to go young man!

Self belief is one thing but arrogant cockiness is quite another.

ed251137 , 1/13/13 8:33 AM

His latest quote is my favorite: when asked about his potential meeting with Federer in the third round, Tomic replied: "If he gets that far...". hehe

racquet , 1/13/13 11:32 AM

Did he really say that? What a prat. Serves him right if he gets egg on his face.

ed251137 , 1/13/13 11:16 PM

^^Love that quote from Tomic, hope he gets a set from RFed,
But i WANT Andy & Roger to meet in the semis.
Its time Andy showed him what for.
But ofcourse both have to get there first.

Twinge , 1/14/13 11:53 AM

After beating Mayer: "There is talk now that I?m serving really good and my groundstrokes are really good, too. I?m moving really well. There is nothing much more I can ask myself at this stage."
He probably heard that talk from his inner self,the one he is taking advices from.

After beating Mayer, talking about his own serve:" There?s nothing these players can do."
Really? Is there some video of him saying these quotes?Maybe he was sarcastic or something,he CANNOT be serious!

Ice , 1/14/13 12:21 PM

Lol, i want a video of that too

Emiliano55 , 1/14/13 1:11 PM

One title and his head has been made into a helium baloon. I hope Fed dances his around the court, seeing as how his movement is not so good at all, as in clumsy.

scoretracker , 1/14/13 7:15 PM

Since when does this website copy and paste articles from other websites? Or was it the other way around?

ts38 , 1/14/13 9:07 PM

fed dances his, should be Fed dances him around the court.

Anyway, others have said worse, e.g., the King is dead, long live the new king". ha ha., and it took 3 years after to get another GS title.

scoretracker , 1/14/13 9:25 PM

I expect Fed to make short work of Tomic. The one thing you really do not want to do is start talking yourself up. Fed can take someone like that down and do it with ease.

Tomic has a lot more work to do if he wants to be taken seriously by anyone other than himself.

Nativenewyorker , 1/14/13 10:45 PM