• Listless Tomic cut from Oz Davis squad

12/6/12 11:29 PM | Johan Lindahl
    Listless Tomic cut from Oz Davis squad The increasingly poor competitive reputation of Bernard "The Tank Engine" Tomic has resulted in the unreliable youngster being dropped from consideration from the Australian Davis Cup team.

The Australian side will play the first round February 1-3 in Kaohsiung against Taiwan.

Tomic, 20, and recently the heir-apparent to the legacy of Lleyton Hewitt and Patrick Rafter, will not play a role in the side due to his recent lack of commitment on the ATP and suspicions of "tanking" matches.

After admitting that he gave "85 percent" during a loss to Florian Mayer at the October Shanghai Masters, Tomic's fate appears to have been sealed. The one-time world No. 27 (now 52nd) now stands as Aussie No. 2 behind Marinko Matosevic in the national pecking order.

"As a team, we just felt that part of the commitment that we make to athletes and athletes make to the sport is they always put 100 percent commitment and effort in competing for their country," Tennis Australia director of tennis Craig Tiley told the federation website.

"It's not one specific incident, just an aggregation of his approach to the game. We just felt that this decision should provide additional motivation every time he walks on the court to be a total professional in his approach to not only his preparation but competing in the match and post-match.
    "And it would be no different if he was the No. 1 player in Australia, or the No. 1 player, or a junior."

Australia will be fighting yet again for a return to the elite Davis Cup World Group after failing in a bid versus Germany last autumn with 31-year-old veteran and Davis Cup campaigner Hewitt expected to join Matosevic on the squad.

Comments

"I'm young and I'm learning. You get to a point where you need to stop and I think it's a good bit of advice," he told the Ten Network late Thursday of Stosur's comments.

"I'm working really hard and trying to push myself to become the best tennis player I can be.

"I've had a slippery slope the last year. It's changing me and I'll prove I'm going to be the best-ever player one day to play this game."

LOL at those comments from Tomic!

tj600 , 12/8/12 5:17 PM

There is the old saying - talk is cheap! Someone who actually admitted that he didn't give 100% has some real problems. It would appear that the Australian tennis director has taken him at his word. They don't want someone who isn't prepared to give his best.

Tomic better get himself straightened out if he wants to continue to play this sport. But I am not holding my breath!

Nativenewyorker , 12/8/12 8:51 PM

Sometimes I fell sorry 'coz old Yugoslavia disappeared ... we would be such power in tennis... Tomic and Matosevic...Australian team :)... and so many other players on ATP and WTA.

zare , 12/8/12 11:40 PM

tj600 - are those comments real?

RickyDimon , 12/8/12 11:56 PM

Oh come on Australia has no other player how can they ignore Tomic he is the only real prospect in Australia.

tennis2011 , 12/9/12 1:04 AM

^^^^

If Tomic is the only real prospect in Australia, then they are in deep trouble!

Nativenewyorker , 12/9/12 2:26 AM

@Ricky
Yes, they are real. Here is one possible source.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/15566464/i-can-be-t he-best-player-ever-tomic/

tj600 , 12/9/12 4:13 AM