• Federer notches 300 weeks on top of the world

10/12/12 3:58 PM | Johan Lindahl
    Federer notches 300 weeks on top of the world Roger Federer has notched another record in his extraordinary career by assuring a 300th week atop the ATP rankings after reaching the quarterfinals of the Shanghai Masters.

The Swiss world-beater clinched the deal as he beat compatriot and friend Stanislas Wawrinka in China. "I'm happy I've been able to reach 300 weeks, it's an amazing number and a record for me," said Federer. "That's a big thing I've been able to achieve."

Federer leads the chase to the year-end No. 1 ranking but has winner's points to defend for his next three tournaments after winning Basel, the Paris Masters, and World Tour Final season wrap-up in 2011.

"If it (finishing No. 1) presents itself and I have the opportunity to, of course I'd love to finish there at the end of the year. It's not in my control, I have so much more to defend than Novak (Djokovic) or Andy (Murray)."

The 31-year-old has made an emphatic comeback over the past year after an unprecedented dry spell of nine majors without winning a Grand Slam. But he showed he was no spent force a year ago, winning his last three events of the season and claiming his 17th Grand Slam singles title last summer at Wimbledon over Murray.

The top seed is seeking his seventh trophy this season after he pulled level three months ago with Pete Sampras on 286 weeks on No. 1 and then powered ahead. "It's obviously an amazing number. I never thought of something like this when I was a little kid, that's for sure," said Federer.

"I was just hoping one day my dream was going to come true to play on the regular tour, play Wimbledon, maybe become No. 1 at some stage."

Federer first reached the summit in February, 2004 and held the position for 237 consecutive weeks, until August, 2008 before Rafael Nadal and then Djokovic took it from him. He got it back once more with his seventh Wimbledon triumph this season.

"Here I am eight years later, it's pretty special. Obviously I lost the ranking a few times but I also stayed a long time once I got there. I always felt tennis was easier for me playing as No. 1 than actually getting there."

Comments

The points Federer has to defend upcoming have nothing to do with the race to year-end world No. 1.....

RickyDimon , 10/12/12 5:03 PM

Well deserved. He's done much for this sport, and has much to show for it. Unlike Nadal, who many consider to be very talented and physically gifted, Fed always had to work hard at it. His philosophy, and one that he preaches is still very much true in this day and age that "if you work hard, good things will come".

300 weeks a top the rankings is a very tough task, but I'd suspect with the rise of Rafa/Nole/Murray, it came down to strategizing early on and implementing the plan (playing in smaller tournaments, accumulating ranking points at tournaments he faired poorly at previously, etc.)

aegis , 10/12/12 5:40 PM

Must be the new math, Ricky.

As we all know except for a certain writer (or two), Nole leads the race to London and the year end No. 1 by just over 1500 points.

#Obvious
#Humble

Conspirator , 10/12/12 5:41 PM

How is that RickyDimon, 10/12/12 5:03 PM?

The FED! :)

sky , 10/12/12 5:43 PM

Any points to defend this year are points earned from last year and therefore do not contribute to this year's year-end ranking.

#GoSkyC'mon!!!

Conspirator , 10/12/12 6:03 PM

Didn't know where to post this but it is an amazing stat from Tignor's Twitter Watch, hard to believe...

Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Murray have won a combined 62 Masters 1000 titles. All other active players have combined to win 16.

And 16 goes down to 12 when Juan Carlos Ferrero officially retires next month. It really is a four-man world, and the rest of us are just living?or losing?in it.

#GOATs
#Top4Monopoly
#GettinTiggyWithIt

Conspirator , 10/12/12 6:25 PM

We are truly privileged to have such intense competition between four such different players. I have been watching/following tennis for longer than I care to remember but there has never been such an enthralling decade.

ed251137 , 10/12/12 7:16 PM

Ultimately the FED has to win a lot to hold, earn and win #1 ranking. Whereas no matter how you slice it (his rival) Djokovic does "not" (have to win a lot). .. :) LOL Go FED! :)

sky , 10/12/12 7:18 PM

but wait I should not be laughing :) LOL :) and then, it has been a thrilling year C'MON!!! Go FED! :)

sky , 10/12/12 7:28 PM

Ricky: It is of course misleading as well as inaccurate to speak of ?defending? points in relation to the annual race, but it was my understanding that 52 week ranking points and points for the calendar year race coincided by the end of the season (though I don?t know how points gained in DC after the WTF might affect this). I find it too confusing to try and work out possible changes in the 52 week rankings between Djokovic and Federer, but as far as I can tell, if their schedules stay the same as currently listed, if RF wins Shanghai and defends Basel and Paris, which would mean that he would gain 2,500 ranking points, and that the best ND could do would be 500 from Beijing and 600 from each of Shanghai and Paris, then they would enter the WTF with ND 270 points ahead in the race. So if RF defended his WTF points from last year, he would move ahead of ND in the race by 230 points (undefeated winner 1500 points, previously undefeated finalist 1000 points). (Would their 52 week ranking points then be separated by the same amount? I don?t know!)

jmk , 10/12/12 9:54 PM

jmk - obviously. Federer is ranked No. 1. So obviously if he does the same as he did last year from here on, he is going to stay No. 1.

But he's gonna have to do it, because Djoker is way ahead in 2012.

RickyDimon , 10/12/12 10:24 PM

I don't think Fed can win three back to back tournaments in a row - Basel/Paris/London. Any slip up, Nole would take advantage; that may explain why Fed is eager to play in Shanghai, as I think he may lose early at Paris.

luckystar , 10/13/12 3:39 AM