• Shanghai security on alert after Federer death threat

10/4/12 9:13 PM | Ricky Dimon
    Shanghai security on alert after Federer death threat The upcoming Shanghai tournament is off to an inauspicious start, with world No. 1 and top seed Roger Federer having already received a death threat. Security has been tightened as a result.

Roger Federer has arrived for the Shanghai Rolex Masters, but not entirely to the friendly kind of greeting to which the 17-time Grand Slam champion is accustomed.

Federer is the subject of a death threat, made in a blog post on a popular Chinese website. The message, posted by the username "Blue Cat Polytheistic Religion Founder 07," read: "On October 6, I plan to assassinate Federer for the purpose of tennis extermination."

A graphic, photo-shopped image was included.

"We hope that it was an oral threat only, and the fan won't take substantive action," said Yang Yibinan, a member of the tournament's organizing committee. "However, we have to take it seriously. We have contacted the local police and we will upgrade the level of security for Roger. Meanwhile, we will also protect other players' security."

Federer headlines the field at the second to last Masters event of the season along with Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray. Notable absentees include Rafael Nadal (knee), David Ferrer (illness), and Juan Martin Del Potro (wrist).

Comments

SMH

RickyDimon , 10/4/12 9:24 PM

Ricky, what on earth does SMH mean?

nadline , 10/4/12 9:38 PM

*shaking my head*

RickyDimon , 10/4/12 9:45 PM

Ha Ha! SMH = shaking my head! I've never thought of that.

luckystar , 10/4/12 9:48 PM

Thanks, Ricky. I'd never have worked that one out.

nadline , 10/4/12 10:04 PM

At best, this guy is an idiot, at worst, scary psycho. Either way, I hope this gets sorted quickly.

cherylmurray , 10/4/12 10:33 PM

SMF

chr18 , 10/4/12 11:06 PM

Shaking my foot?
Finger?
Femur?
Yep, I bet that's it. You're shaking your femur.

cherylmurray , 10/4/12 11:25 PM

comment removed. Consider this a warning...the next such comment will result in a permanent ban from this site.

-edited by Cheryl

jean , 10/5/12 12:09 AM

If the guy wants 'tennis extermination' then he has a grudge against tennis, the sport. That said, not only Federer is a target, there could be other players who could possibly be a target.

scoretracker , 10/5/12 1:06 AM

Is jean a moderaator?

scoretracker , 10/5/12 1:18 AM

^^^ No, but I am. I edited the offensive post.

cherylmurray , 10/5/12 1:41 AM

Thank you cheryl. could you do something about the spamming conspirator is doing on all the other threads whenever a Fed fan comments? thanks.

scoretracker , 10/5/12 1:50 AM

Nice work, Cheryl.

DanyalRasool , 10/5/12 1:50 AM

I think that post should have been deleted. It was highlly offensive.

Now as for the self-serving comments about doing something about spamming, I would like to request that the personal attacks, baiting and inciting please stop. Those posts are not spam. They are a response from someone who is trying to help the rest of us deal with the horrific cheap shots and insults every single day.

Nativenewyorker , 10/5/12 2:07 AM

I'm wondering whether Fed will continue with his plans to play at shanghai, or will withdraw. i read that he has reserved a lot of hotel rooms and even Mirka's mother will be attending. That said, he might reconsider that Shanghai won't be worth it coz his whole family is affected by this threat. Also, how could he concentrate on the match with the knowledge that something awful could happen to him or a family member?

As much as I would love to see Fed play, I'd prefer it if he withdrew due to the stress he will be suffering. Take care Fed and God protect you and your loved ones.

scoretracker , 10/5/12 2:08 AM

I don't think he'll withdraw. It'll set a precedent and this lunacy could go on week after week then. I think he'll do what he always does: remain coolly unconcerned, focus on his tennis, and hopefully win the tournament.

DanyalRasool , 10/5/12 2:14 AM

Those posts ARE SPAM. I bet if a Fed fan did that, there would be numerous calls for moderator intervention. However, that said, I'm not going to further dignify that lie. I'll let the moderators use their judgment, because there is no just cause for that spamming, only a vicikous attempt to cover up wrong-doing by others to quieten non-Nadal fans from commenting, especially Fed fans. conspirator is NOT a moderator.

scoretracker , 10/5/12 2:15 AM

@Danya, let's hope for the best for Roger and his family that all will be well.It would be wonderful if he could win Shanghai. GO ROGER!

scoretracker , 10/5/12 2:18 AM

what did jean say?

RickyDimon , 10/5/12 5:15 AM

She somehow condoned the threat and mentioned that Fed was a wasteless human being. This is not verbatim.

Am watching Raonic/Tipsy play. will you be writing anything on those matches.

scoretracker , 10/5/12 5:27 AM

You'd think that security would be pretty tight already though since these players are such high profile athletes? I mean surely the big 4 must be used to getting threats from psychos by now that organizers should know ahead of time how much security they need. I mean, is this not a 1000 event? I'd think the security would be much higher in these things any way as opposed to say a Futures or 250 event...

aegis , 10/5/12 5:31 AM

It's a sad day for tennis in general. It could happen to any of the players. I hope it blows over soon.

nadline , 10/5/12 6:49 AM

It's a difficult one. If Federer withdraws he'll be playing into the hands of these kinds of threats. What would stop a crank threatening any player they don't want to play in a tournament.

As long as security is tight and they check everyone going into the venue they should be able to contain it. It's bound to affect his performance though.

nadline , 10/5/12 6:55 AM

Federer is not WITHDRAWING, people

RickyDimon , 10/5/12 7:01 AM

^^^^

I agree. Fed will play. I am sure that they will have security in place to ensure his safety. It's really such a shame that someone has to do something like this. No player should have to deal with this. The world we live in is sometimes a crazy place.

What was said should not be repeated. It was appalling.

Nativenewyorker , 10/5/12 7:10 AM

This is bad for tennis players/tournaments in general... It is crazy for players to play in fear of attack... I think this is not time to indulge in fan fight...

RMadhu , 10/5/12 10:49 AM

good that this almost never happens, tho (or do we just not hear about it?)

RickyDimon , 10/5/12 4:59 PM

Terrible thing to happen to Fed who usually travels with his family as well. Hope they deal with this lowlife who made the threat.

Good on Fed for staying as he is obviously making a stand but just hope that he and his family will be safe at the end of the day.

schatz , 10/5/12 9:44 PM

Terrible. This is the most ridiculous and scary piece of news I heard today. I do hope that the players are always protected 100% lest we have a repeat of a Monica Seles case.
:(((

Roger will play in spite of the threats as he should. I just hope that doesn't happen ever again to anyone. Disturbing.

danica , 10/5/12 10:19 PM

It is just one more idiot on net. Nevertheless, those things are not a joke, and I am sure that Fed will have more than adequate security.
Novak received numerous life threats after his disagree on independence of Kosovo. He was laughing, but I am sure that he has also good security.
Remember Lennon ?

zare , 10/5/12 10:55 PM

The internet is abuzz with the news of this threat. It's now big news, which will generate more media focus on Shanghai. It would be wonderful if Fed can win Shanghai, as it will be a testament that threats and spiteful, venemous acts will not keep a good man down.

scoretracker , 10/6/12 3:21 AM

schatz - Federer is not "making a stand" by playing in Shanghai

don't get carried away

RickyDimon , 10/6/12 6:40 AM

Well FEDERER will overcome this episode as he is a true professional.A threat can't deter him from playing tennis.It looks like the work of some fanatic mind.

hrsikesa , 10/6/12 8:20 PM