• Verdasco says Nadal has final word on injury return

9/26/12 8:42 PM | Johan Lindahl
    Verdasco says Nadal has final word on injury return Fernando Verdasco is sympathetic to recent remarks from Rafael Nadal which suggest that the King of Clay does not know when he can return to court from his long-running knee problems.

Verdasco said that while the sentiments from the Nadal camp are far form encouraging, only the player himself truly knows exactly where his recovery now stands.

"He is the best player in history from Spain and everyone cares for him," said Verdasco. "But only he knows his feelings. He is the only one who can decide when he comes back to play. I don't know what more to say really."

Verdasco, ranked 23rd after spending several seasons among the leading ATP contenders, has problems of his own to deal with. His best performance this season was an Acapulco semi-final on clay more than half a year ago.

Even a repeat of the Bangkok semifinal he achieved in 2007 when he played here for the first time would be welcome to the Madrid native. "I have my own things to deal with; I'm working hard to improve my game.

"We are all interested in when Rafa will return. If he would come back today it would be great, but only he can make the final decision."

Comments

interesting stuff, Verdasco

#Not

RickyDimon , 9/26/12 9:19 PM

Nothing insightful from Verdasco. perhaps his game would improve if he'd cut down on looking at himself in the mirror so much.

scoretracker , 9/27/12 12:58 AM

Well some hard-hitting journalist asked him the question and felt the need to report it.

What would you have said, Ricky?

#ReadersWantToKnow

Conspirator , 9/27/12 2:00 AM

"perhaps his game would improve if he'd cut down on looking at himself in the mirror so much." An example of what my previous post was all about scoretracker. That was not a very nice comment IMO and has nothing to do with tennis etc. Just saying.

I am not surprised that journalists are asking the other Spanish players about Rafa's condition. It seems quite normal to me. There wasn't that much that Verdasco could say though as I am sure he is not privy to detailed information regarding Rafa situation.

schatz , 9/27/12 8:54 PM

^^^^

I agree with you. What is Verdasco going to say? He is going to be asked about Rafa, that's only normal. I doubt he knows anything about Rafa's progress or when he is going to be back. He can only express his desire for Rafa to come back soon.

Nativenewyorker , 9/27/12 9:09 PM