• Del Potro takes on surprise quarter-finalist Chardy

8/17/12 2:12 AM | Cheryl Murray
    Del Potro takes on surprise quarter-finalist Chardy World No. 9 Juan Martin Del Potro will take on tournament lucky loser Jeremy Chardy in the first quarterfinal on Friday at the Cincinnati Masters.

This will be the first ever meeting between Juan Martin Del Potro and Jeremy Chardy. Del Potro is the 2009 US Open champion and the tournament No. 6 seed. Jeremy Chardy, ranked 38th in the world, didn't make it out qualifying but ended up getting into the tournament when John Isner withdrew.

Chardy has had the run of his career in Cincinnati this week. The Frenchman took out Andy Roddick, Denis Istomin and Olympic gold medalist Andy Murray en route to the quarterfinals.

Del Potro had a first-round bye, and took out the resurgent Tommy Haas in the second round and Viktor Troicki in the third. He called the trainer in the second game of the match against Troicki and got work done on his left wrist, but he was able to finish out the match.

Prediction - Chardy has served particularly well this week, but he will face Del Potro's blistering groundstrokes. As long as he's not nursing an injury, Del Potro in straight sets.

Comments

nice job distracting Del Potro right when he was about to serve, Cheryl!

RickyDimon , 8/17/12 7:15 PM

That was an ACCIDENT. I was NOT trying to distract him, Ricky. :(

cherylmurray , 8/17/12 7:26 PM

Oh come on guys, you've got to tell :)

deuce , 8/17/12 7:40 PM

Yes, yes, pray tell! :))))

danica , 8/17/12 8:14 PM

I was sitting on court in the photo pit with my rather large camera with a telephoto lens. Just as delpo was getting ready to serve, I knocked my camera, a lens cap AND a bottle of water over and all of them fell on the ground. I earned a hearty glare from delpo for it and he had to restart his service routine. Oops.

cherylmurray , 8/17/12 9:01 PM

Cheryl,

I guess this will be your claim to fame! That is priceless!

Nativenewyorker , 8/17/12 9:52 PM

I don't know, some people would do ANYTHING to get Delboy's attention.......;)

deuce , 8/17/12 10:06 PM

You'd think I did it on purpose, the way he glared at me. Sheesh.

cherylmurray , 8/17/12 10:23 PM

Maybe that's a start of something bigger :)))

danica , 8/17/12 10:27 PM

Watch it danica. I believe Cheryl said she's married with children.

chr18 , 8/17/12 10:35 PM

Oops, sorry, my bad :(. I don't follow posters closely. But I was obviously joking :)))

danica , 8/17/12 10:51 PM

Don't worry, Danica. Even if I weren't married with children, I'm fairly certain DelPo wouldn't be calling to ask me to dinner. :D

cherylmurray , 8/17/12 10:56 PM