• Murray knee forces withdrawal from Toronto

8/9/12 9:55 PM | Johan Lindahl
    Murray knee forces withdrawal from Toronto Olympic golden boy Andy Murray has been felled by a knee injury and forced to withdraw from the Toronto Masters. The pullout gives Canadian Milos Raonic a quarterfinal place.

Murray, who beat Flavio Cipolla in the second round a day after flying in from the London Games, had the knee treated during that match. It flared up on him during a morning warmup, forcing the decision to withdraw.

Murray has a pre-US Open title defense coming up next week in Cincinnati as the last Grand Slam of the season draws closer. "Ideally I would be feeling perfect, but I don't think that was ever going to be the situation after how the Olympics finished," said Murray. "I gave it a go. Obviously picked up a niggle, and would rather not have done that.

"At least I got one match in and played a little bit on the hard courts. Now I have to take a couple days off without playing, so that may have set me back slightly."

The decision gives Murray time to try to recover on the most physically demanding of the surfaces. "The hard courts, for me anyway, are the hardest on my body. It always takes me a bit of time to get used to playing on them again. I hope it doesn't affect the next few weeks too much."

Comments

Really glad Andy has withdrawn, though I hope it's nothing serious and is more strategic. The schedule is brutally silly this year. Though Andy did get a nice cake :)
Get plenty of rest Andy and come back READY!

deuce , 8/9/12 11:09 PM

he said he is playing Cincy

RickyDimon , 8/9/12 11:24 PM

Andy was only there for the cake. Lol

He's got 100 points to defend in Cincy, so he'll do his best to play there.

nadline , 8/9/12 11:33 PM

Murray didn't want to take the shine off his olympic gold by losing to Raonic, so it's tactical. He told SKY that there was no problem with his knee it was just the change of movement to h/c.

tethys , 8/10/12 9:38 AM

^ There's always one...*rolls eyes*

deuce , 8/10/12 10:56 AM

^^^Andy wouldn't have lost against Raonic.
Just because he lost once on the clay against him means little.
Although it could have been difficult, there was time to rest due to the weather over there.
Still it might have been a tactical pull out for other reasons to do with us open preparations.

Twinge , 8/10/12 12:57 PM

^^Raonic also pulled out on Andy at Miami.
Anyway i hope he wins it now as hes a Canuck.
Although i don't care for his tennis one bit.

Twinge , 8/10/12 1:19 PM