• Djokovic forgets Wimbledon to aim for Olympic gold

7/27/12 12:41 AM | Johan Lindahl
    Djokovic forgets Wimbledon to aim for Olympic gold World No. 2 Novak Djokovic has kept his profile low-key since losing his top ranking status to rival Roger Federer earlier this month as the Swiss returned to the top of the ATP table.

Beaten semifinalist Djokovic spent his time on holiday followed by practice on the grass of the All-England Club where the Olympic tennis event starts at the weekend.

And that is exactly where the 2011 Wimbledon winner's interests lie at the moment.

Djokovic lifted the Olympic bronze four years ago in Beijing when he beat American James Blake. "I'm happy to compete at the Olympic Games on the grass," said the player who will carry the flag for his nation in the opening ceremony.

"All athletes are keen to defend the colors of their nation at Wimbledon. I cannot wait to attend the opening ceremony. Being the flag-bearer for Serbia fills me with pride; it will be an incredible moment. I still remember the enthusiasm of the 90,000 people in Beijing and the millions of viewers who have followed us on TV."

Added the most recognized sportsman in Serbia: "I had the honor to represent my country four years ago and this has been one of the best sporting gratifications. For a professional athlete who is used to attending tournaments as an individual, representing their country at events like Davis Cup and Olympics will create an indescribable feeling.

"The atmosphere of the Games is unparalleled, you create a team spirit, from the ceremony to the Olympic village, and we're participating in all competitions."

Comments

djokovic's patriotic spirit in commendable but possible path is fognini + RODDICK + HEWIT/MELZER/CILIC + TSONGA/RAONIC + MURRAY/BERDYCH + FEDERER/ISNER so seems like a tough road for the former world no 1

isfand , 7/27/12 1:13 AM

He is definitely one of the favourites to win a medal.............Au, Ag or (Cu-Sn)alloy.......

hrsikesa , 7/27/12 2:10 PM

He looked so happy carrying the flag for Serbia - I wish him good luck.

schatz , 7/28/12 5:30 PM

Nole's devotion for the country is top notch. He is just so motivated representing Serbia and just gives his all. You can just wish the guy good luck . He is a great personality for tennis . Amidst Roger and Rafa , the guy has really made his mark while competing with two all time greats . I hope Nole wins gold this time .

fedexal , 7/28/12 9:11 PM

Fedexal, which camp are you following now? You'll soon be known as Fedexalole

nadline , 7/28/12 9:30 PM

He's mentioning Davis Cup and OG in the same context. Knowing what the DC victory did for his confidence, it will be interesting to see the impact on his game if he does win the gold.

Go Nole! ;)

danica , 7/29/12 10:16 AM

If he does, Federer will announce his retirement and Rafa will take extended sick leave :-D

ed251137 , 7/29/12 10:31 AM

@Nadline ; I like top 3 a lot. Oviously if Nadal is not there , then I will be rooting for both Fed and Nole. I want to see these two in finals, however, I sense an upset .

fedexal , 7/29/12 12:08 PM

Do tell fedexal. Who is going to upset who?

ed251137 , 7/29/12 12:44 PM

Somehow I feel that Nole might lose early . Best of three on grass with big hitters in the draw, somehow I feel that Nole might lose to Roddick/Tsonga. If Tsonga is serving well, then you never know, two ti-breaks and it is over. Though, I hope all top seeds reach the semis and we have a blockbuster tennis tournament in London 2012.

fedexal , 7/29/12 2:02 PM