• Roddick says he never takes a title for granted

7/24/12 1:33 AM | Johan Lindahl
    Roddick says he never takes a title for granted Andy Roddick has joked that he's glad he didn't take retirement talk to heart after his first-round losses at the French Open and Queen's club just over a month ago.

The durable American has now proved the doubters wrong after winning his second title in three events by beating Gilles Muller of Luxembourg in a three-set Atlanta comeback.

The 29-year-old said that he never gave up on himself - but never thought he would go on indefinitely at the top 10 level either. "I've won 32 times (titles) and in every one of them I've never assumed I was going to win again.

"I just go about the process of playing, work hard and hope I can put myself in position enough times where you kind of create some success for yourself."

In his joy of victory, Roddick gave his trophy to a fan in the stands and tossed his racquet to another lucky spectator. He will now make the trip to London to get adjusted for the Olympic event, which begins on Saturday at Wimbledon.

"I've always appreciated it, I've never thought it was easy," the former world No. 1 said of his decade of tennis success. He has now won 11 of his last 12 matches after losing in the Wimbledon third round to Spain's David Ferrer.

His win was his first at Atlanta since his teenaged title in 2001, the first of his career. "I was able to kind of turn the corner at Eastbourne, and I played pretty well at Wimbledon. I feel relatively healthy. Hopefully it was a blip on radar as opposed to that's just the way things are."

Comments

Now on to the Olympics!!!

ts38 , 7/24/12 7:25 AM

Good job Andy - happy for you.

schatz , 7/24/12 6:15 PM

Roddick is on quite a roll. Nice to know he can still string together a number of wins.

cherylmurray , 7/25/12 3:06 AM

love the mans attitude to tennis.

tj600 , 7/25/12 3:55 PM

I've always thought of Roddick as eloquent. He knows how to express himself in victory as well as defeat with appreciation and respect for his opponent. Good Job Andy!

scoretracker , 7/26/12 9:21 AM

For the past ten years Roddick has been one of a handfull of players who consistently delivers exciting, sometimes riveting, matches. I love his never say die attitude.

ed251137 , 7/26/12 10:53 AM

I so wanted him to win wimby in 2009 - he was playing fantastic tennis and deserved to win IMO. Yes, he is a great fighter and I love that kind of attitude.
He has also played a lot for his country in the Davis Cup which I admire. I wish him the best of luck for the Olympics.

schatz , 7/26/12 6:42 PM

^^^

I agree! It was heartbreaking to see Roddick lose that final. All he wanted was to get one more slam win at Wimbledon. He played amazing tennis and had a chance to win that match. I think that mentally he was destroyed in the short term after that loss and who could blame him.

I am happy that he has won a title and will come into the Olympics with a nice boost of confidence.

Nativenewyorker , 7/26/12 10:28 PM