• Murray will take his time in getting back to the courts

7/8/12 9:01 PM | Johan Lindahl
    Murray will take his time in getting back to the courts Wimbledon finalist Andy Murray will rest for at least a week until he feels ready to return to the courts.

The Scot lost the Wimbledon final 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4 to Roger Federer, who tied Pete Sampras on seven titles at the All-England club.

"I'll wait and see how my body recovers after the next few days. I fell a lot of times this tournament," Murray said with the London Olympics approaching. "I got a lot of bruises all over my body. I need to take a few days off, let everything heal, recover, and then see. But I won't be on the court next week, that's for sure.

"I'll wait until my mind is right. There's no point in going on the court until I'm ready to go out there and learn and work hard and do the right things in the gym and in practice because there's just no point."

The disappointed Murray said he played the best of his Grand Slam finals despite losing his fourth.

Murray was the first Briton to play a Wimbledon final since Bunny Austin in 1938 and had been hoping to become the first home winner since Fred Perry in 1936, more than three-quarters of a century ago.

The world No. 4 said that it was hard to tell if he had missed his best chance to win a Grand Slam after losing the US Open 2008 and Australia 2010 and 2011.

"I don't know, it was first time being in a Wimbledon final. It was good to get there. I lost to a guy that's now won this tournament seven times and is No. 1 in the world. We're talking about one of the greatest athletes of all time here. We've got to put it in context a little bit."

Comments

Federer> Novak
Nadal>Federer
Novak>Nadal
ALL 3 of them>Murray

pennster , 7/9/12 5:53 AM

Well deserved break for Muzza!

abhirf , 7/9/12 7:39 AM

Chill out Andy and recharge your batteries for the Olympics.

schatz , 7/9/12 1:20 PM

nadal>federer>djokovic<RAFA

rafakid , 7/13/12 6:34 AM

Andy and KIm were in the audience of "Mock The Week" last night. Got a standing ovation.Some very good jokes and loads of film of them enjoying it immensely. Looks as if Andy is having a good time just chilling out with Kim.
You rock Andy :)

deuce , 7/13/12 6:58 AM

And if anyone wants to watch:

deuce , 7/13/12 7:18 AM

Fanatastic Andy! It's only a game...................

rafaisthebest , 7/13/12 8:57 AM

This is a real cruel season with Olympics just squeezing one more week out of an already congested schedule. I think top players could miss Cincy Or Toronto, specially Fed or Murray who went deep in Wimby.....

fedexal , 7/13/12 9:35 AM

the lad is a rugby player all right

croc , 7/13/12 10:14 AM

It is going to be a whole lot easier this year than in 2008 when the games fell in mid August which meant many players had to fly to Bejiing and back again in the middle of the North American swing entailing much longer flights and repeated jet lag in a short space of time.

Expect most of them to play Toronto and Cincy in order to tune up for the USO and re-adapt to hard courts. Incidentally these two tournaments are not necessarily an indication of the top players' form going into the USO!

ed251137 , 7/13/12 11:22 AM