• Nadal in shock after Wimbledon Czech-mate

6/30/12 4:36 AM | Johan Lindahl
    Nadal in shock after Wimbledon Czech-mate Shell-shocked Rafael Nadal admits he took one of his worst defeats in the second round at Wimbledon when he went out to unfancied Czech No. 100 Lukas Rosol 6-7 (9) 6-4, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.

It was the first time since 2005 at the event that the Spaniard had been defeated this early in a Grand Slam. "I'm very, very disappointed, I'm not very happy," said the 11-time Grand Slam winner, "(Losing) in the second round...this is not semi-finals or final, so that bothers more, because then you feel that you had the chance to win the title.

"I just was in the second round. That's painful, because it's always is tough to lose."

Nadal, who less than three weeks ago was celebrating tennis history after claiming a seventh title at Roland Garros on clay, added: "That's sport. You win, you lose. The last four months were great for me.  Was probably one of the best four months of my career, playing unbelievable in the clay-court season.

"You arrive here, you play against an inspired opponent and I am out. That's all. Is not a tragedy. Is only a tennis match."

Nadal, who will return to Wimbledon in a month for the London Olympics, said that there are worse things in the world. "That's life. There is much more important things. Sure, I wanted to win, but I lost. That's it.

"It wasn't the best match for me, but that's what it is and accept. Accept that he came back and played unbelievable the fifth set (after breaking to start the fifth when the Centre court roof had been closed due to fading light).

"I think I played a great fourth set and the stop (to close the roof) didn't help me. The only thing that I can do is come back home, rest. That's what I can do, nothing else."

Comments

Yes, Johan, he is in shock. So much so that he repaired to Majorca to lounge around the azure beaches there to nurse his.............shock!

Everybody, let's hold a pity party for Rafa..................

rafaisthebest , 6/30/12 9:22 AM

Johan, if you are going to quote someone, please do it accurately. You have taken things out of context and not reported the whole of the sentences, giving a completely wrong impression of what Rafa said.

Your interpretation:

Here is a transcript of the interview:

Q. Rafa, You?ve said many, mant times how much you love Wimbledon, what the Championships mean to you. Can you just talk about your feelings now, what your feelings inside are after the result.

Rafa. My feeling is what you are watching. I am like this, I?m NOT very, very disappointed, sure I?m not happy; in the end this is a 2nd round match it?s not the semi final or final so that bothers more because then you feel that you had the chance to win the title. At the end it?s the - I?m not gonna say in the point of my career today the only thing that?s gonna work for me is the victory, but more or less, so I was very far to win the tournament I was just was in the 2nd round and that?s painful because always it?s tough to lose but that?s the sport, you win you lose. Last 4 months were great for me, was probably one of the best 4 months of my career playing unbelievable in the clay court season. You arrive here, little bit of everything, you play against an inspired opponent and I am out, that?s all. No, no, no, we don?t have to - it?s not a tragedy it?s just a tennis match at the end that?s life. There are much more important things.

Here is the link to the video of Rafa's presser:

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/interactive/multimedia.html ?id=ZkY2g5NTqAmwoJAAx-4YNxVYKpV9LUlW

nadline , 6/30/12 1:02 PM

RITB...nadline ... don't loose your time on this guy...

zare , 6/30/12 1:14 PM

He does sound like a drama queen zare - kick him to the kerb and let him enjoy his typical brand of crappola.

Life is too short to bother with stuff like this dear ritb and nadline - I work in a hospital and it sure puts things into perspective.

I hope our boy is out on a boat fishing and relaxing with his family and friends - it will do him the world of good. I wouldn't mind being out there myself :) - if only.

schatz , 6/30/12 1:51 PM

Shame on you Johan - i dont see any "shock" to be written about .

I was expecting the story about the nudging from you ..its rightttt down your alley . That is worth the story . I have heard about the different things done on court as mind games ...but nudging and introducing physical contact is a whole different ballgame .

breakpoint , 6/30/12 2:16 PM

OMG, here we go again with the "nudging" thing. Tell you what @breakpoint, go to tennis-x blog, they have Rosol's interview transcript there, you will find his side of the story of what happened, including (according to Rososl) Rafa's apology times 3.

Rafa has decided to take the high road (quite rightly) and not talk about the incident. So, Rosol's version is all there is out there so, knock yourself out.

rafaisthebest , 6/30/12 2:40 PM

rosol is out to kohli 0:3.

rfzr , 6/30/12 4:13 PM

The good thing is, we all have access to Johan source of cut and paste so he can't mislead us with his misinterpretation.

nadline , 6/30/12 4:41 PM

^^^^and misinformation.

rafaisthebest , 6/30/12 5:00 PM

hilarious headline

RickyDimon , 6/30/12 5:21 PM

who makes the headlines? Does TT have an editor for that or is it the writer of the article?

croc , 6/30/12 5:28 PM

old news there johan good man

rafakid , 6/30/12 6:05 PM

croc, 6/30/12 5:28 PM

It's Johan, in consultation with the folks who provide his kool-aid. Hint, they are from a famously neutral country with equally neutral cows.............

rafaisthebest , 6/30/12 6:32 PM

well rafa may not be in the state of shock, but some of his fans certainly are.

rfzr , 6/30/12 6:49 PM

croc - the writer of course

RickyDimon , 6/30/12 8:13 PM

Easy on the kool-aid, rfzr, easy...............

rafaisthebest , 6/30/12 8:21 PM

rafaisthebest:

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/match_report/Wimbledon/ 2012/Lukas_Rosol_-_Rafael_Nadal

rfzr , 6/30/12 8:22 PM

^^^eh, your point? I watched the match...........so don't understand your point, sorry.

rafaisthebest , 6/30/12 8:31 PM

it is very simple, read the comments. this link too, a bit more illustrative

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/previews/20120628/Nadal_t akes_on_Rosol_in_Wimbledon_second_round

rfzr , 6/30/12 8:50 PM

No, you point out the comments to me.................you want to make a point to me, spell it out, comprende?

rafaisthebest , 6/30/12 10:08 PM

.......I mean, what part of what's your point do you not understand?

rafaisthebest , 6/30/12 10:10 PM

Nadline - The quote in the article is correct. The transcript is on the official website and he said he IS very, very disappointed. I'm not sure where you get your copy of the interview, but it isn't correct.

cherylmurray , 7/1/12 4:56 AM

Cheryl, well, I hear Not very, very disappointed he even goes on to say:

'in the end this is a 2nd round match it's not the semi final or final so that bothers more because then you feel that you had the chance to win the title. At the end it's the - I'm not gonna say in the point of my career today the only thing that's gonna work for me is the victory, but more or less, so I was very far to win the tournament I was just was in the 2nd round and that's painful because always it's tough to lose but that's the sport, you win you lose.'

Something is lost in translation. I know you say the official website says differently but you listen to the video and you will hear 'not very, very disappointed.....'

He wouldn't say I'm very, very disappointed in the end this is a 2nd round match not the SF or final..........

nadline , 7/1/12 9:13 AM

There are discussions on Rafa's fan sites disputing the transcript. You only have to watch the video to see that the word 'not' has been missed out.

nadline , 7/1/12 11:22 AM

Johan is no journalist... HE IS PATHETIC GOSSIP QUEEN with two or three brain cells... -zare , 6/30/12 1:14 PM

ZARE,
wrong pronoun...a QUEEN is a SHE. ;-)

phoenix , 7/1/12 2:13 PM