• Nadal looks to make it back-to-back majors at Wimbledon

6/24/12 5:04 AM | Ricky Dimon
    Nadal looks to make it back-to-back majors at Wimbledon French Open champion Rafael Nadal will look for another Grand Slam title over the course of the next fortnight at the All-England Club. Contenders in Nadal's quarter of the draw include Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Bernard Tomic, and Tommy Haas.

Little more than two weeks after capturing his seventh French Open title, Rafael Nadal will be back on the court in search of his third Wimbledon triumph. Nadal emerged victorious in 2008 and 2010 but suffered one of his many losses to Novak Djokovic in last year's final.

The second-ranked Spaniard begins his quest against Thomaz Bellucci, whom he has defeated twice at Roland Garros (2008 and 2010). Nadal would then face either Ivan Dodig or Lukas Rosol before a likely meeting with either Tommy Haas or Philipp Kohlschreiber.

Overall, the draw could not be much better for Nadal. Roger Federer is on the opposite side and the bottom quarter of the bracket is filled with unimposing seeds. Mardy Fish has been sidelined since the spring hard-court swing, Bernard Tomic has been ailing, Stanislas Wawrinka is at his best on clay, and neither Alexandr Dolgopolov nor Feliciano Lopez is in particularly good form.

The tricky points for Nadal may come in the third round and the quarterfinals. Haas is 34 years old, but he advanced two rounds at the French Open and is coming off a title in Halle, where he upset Federer. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is one of the two most dangerous 5-8 seeds along with Tomas Berdych. Tsonga, who opens with Lleyton Hewitt, is on course for a blockbuster quarterfinal against Nadal.

First-rounders to watch in this section in addition to Tsonga-Hewitt are Kohlschreiber vs. Haas, Tomic vs. David Goffin, and Wawrinka vs. Jurgen Melzer. Also watch out for comeback kid Brian Baker, who finished runner-up in Nice and reached the Roland Garros second round.

Comments

Vamos Rafa!

nadline , 6/24/12 10:34 AM

Even those who support his chief rivals, Nadal and Novak Djokovic, cannot fail to appreciate what Federer has achieved.

?I think people feel that I am a genuine guy,? he said, ?and that?s an advantage when I walk the streets. I mean, if people don't like you, which is absolutely possible, they just won?t say anything.

"They?re like ?Ah, I?m with Nadal?, or ?I?m with another guy,? and that?s fine. But they won?t come up to you and make you feel bad about it.

?I have had a couple of people come up to me and say ?Hi, Nadal?s gonna kick your ass next time around.? And I?m like ?Oh really, great, thank you.?

"That?s maybe happened to me twice over a 15-year career. So I?m just saying I think tennis fans are very cool and relaxed.?

sanju , 6/24/12 12:21 PM

This site really needs to fix its issues..its 2 weeks now..its getting frstrating to even try to post here.. you ahve to try like 4 times to get 1 post through..

Ricky/Cheryl : When can we have a solution? A GS like Wimby will have least traffic and discussions if this continues..

Contrast of personalities : Roger went on and on about him winnng his 7th Wimby title saying hes dreaming of it and Rafa wen asked about him winning his 3rd, said its arrogant to think about winning the 3rd wen even first match was not played and all hes bothered about is Tuesday for 1st match.

sanju , 6/24/12 12:30 PM

sanju , 6/24/12 12:30 PM

I sent an email to the admin people on Friday listing the different problems and with a plea to get things sorted in time for Wimbledon.

To date no response and furthermore at the time of writing the Wimbledon Draw has not been in-putted on this site.

ed251137 , 6/24/12 12:43 PM

Vamos our Rafa & God bless. Here's hoping you stay fit and healthy and play fantastic tennis at Wimby.

schatz , 6/24/12 1:26 PM

sanju, it's sad to see a great champion like Federer reduced to this.............he is cleared miffed that Rafa got his 7th title on his favourite tourny and he hasn't. He know this is the last throw of the dice for him and the pundist know it too this is why they are all tipping him for the title.

@ed251137, you are not the only one frustrated with TT at the moment. At this rate they will lose traffic fast, become irrelevant and shut-down. Simple as that.

rafaisthebest , 6/24/12 1:45 PM

no idea, but I wouldn't count on anything being fixed anytime soon

RickyDimon , 6/24/12 2:23 PM

I think TT is having a social experiment to find out which group of fans would first go mad without this site while a GS is in progress...:-)

phoenix , 6/24/12 2:45 PM

OK Contingency plan needed.

Which site do we all migrate to in the event TT cant deliver the goods?

ed251137 , 6/24/12 3:28 PM

OK Contingency plan needed.

Which site do we all migrate to in the event TT cant deliver the goods?

BTW: Wimby draw is now up to date. Here's hoping it can be updated every night.

ed251137 , 6/24/12 3:31 PM

OK Contingency plan needed.

Which site do we all migrate to in the event TT cant deliver the goods?

BTW: Wimby draw is now up to date. Here's hoping it can be updated every night.

ed251137 , 6/24/12 3:31 PM

I have an idea. Why don't all of the annoying Nadal fans just go to Vamos Brigade and leave the tennis fans here?

chr18 , 6/24/12 3:57 PM

I have another idea. Why don't those blind Fed fanatics who promised that they would leave this site - after embarrassing themselves repeatedly following a Sod-over-Rafa FO final 2010 'poem' - go away right now and stay away?

jean , 6/24/12 4:02 PM

^^^^Hahahaha, fat chance!!

I have an even better idea, why don't the morose, bad loser Fedfans migrate to tennis-x and leave the fans of REAL Tennis on TT?

rafaisthebest , 6/24/12 4:04 PM

snap @jean! My comment was directed at @chr18 btw.....................

rafaisthebest , 6/24/12 4:06 PM

It's 2012 jean and the Sod will be back.

chr18 , 6/24/12 4:33 PM

Hasnt Rafa beaten Sod in 2010 RG final and 2011 Qtrs both in straight sets after that 2009 RG loss..I mean he even beat him in 2010 Wimby qtrs ..

Lets get over Sod and stop giving him more importance than he deserves :-)

sanju , 6/24/12 4:45 PM

See what I mean about Fedfans and nostalgia??

rafaisthebest , 6/24/12 4:50 PM

That's right chr18, it's 2012, the year you promised you'd disappear after the way you humiliated yourself just before the 2010 RG finals - and thought you could quietly sneak back in here and nobody would remember your stupid behaviour!!! Short memory, huh? The more you post, the more you humiliate yourself! Listen to RITB and go to tennis x where you belong with your fellow tards!

jean , 6/24/12 4:58 PM

I made no such promise jean. However your stupid behavior continues. Wonders never cease.

chr18 , 6/24/12 5:51 PM

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20120220/Nadal_owed_the_Spanish_taxm an_a_few_million

Missed me jean? Don't worry I won't be here long. Tennis is more boring these days with these six hour butt-picking, heavy-breathing contests. Oh what happened to your friends homo, edwhat'syournumber, clayking and raindrops? Maybe they are embarrassed or something?
chr18, 2/21/12 3:19 AM

As always chr18, you're just a liar. You've lied before as you very well will remember. You "won't be here long"?? What happened?? I guess the internet is your only hope for social contact!

Indeed wonders never cease. Who's the stupid idiot now - or should I say humiliated liar??

jean , 6/24/12 6:27 PM

You said above that I promised to leave (in 2012) back in 2010 before the RG final which I didn't. Even in the post which you wasted your time finding, I did not use the word promise. I've simply changed my mind and decided to stay longer than I anticipated.

chr18 , 6/24/12 6:37 PM

It takes no time at all to find stupid posts as you can see. And I did not say you promised back in 2012. Gosh you are more foolish than I thought! I see you are being picky with words in order to try and dodge being caught out as a liar. No need to use exact words, as you and everyone can see, you said you won't be here for long. That says it all.

I've simply changed my mind and decided to stay longer than I anticipated.
chr18, 6/24/12 6:37 PM

LOL! Does this not imply that you said you won't be back and have changed your mind?? Get it, moron?? Not to worry, no need to promise. A liar will always be a liar and an idiot will always be an idiot. Keep posting, I love a good laugh, as does RITB obviously. No doubt we'd like to thank you! Even better, why not post more of your idiotic 'poems' about other players beating Rafa? It's not often we get to enjoy such artistic creativity!

jean , 6/24/12 6:48 PM

You have too much time on your hands jean. Go outside and do something productive. Exercise or something. Later.

chr18 , 6/24/12 6:55 PM

I also like Nadal news which is a great site but only consists of Rafa stuff and Rafans.

If anyone has any good suggestions I keep an open mind.

schatz , 6/24/12 8:11 PM

When the high volume during Wimby (last days esp) hits, TT will be worse again... like around the RG final. But I don't think it will get worse than that yet. Just persevere. We will all also post a bit less because of this.

Ricky told us it is not likely the technical folk will fix this soon. But I expect they will eventually.

chlorostoma , 6/24/12 8:14 PM

jean, 6/24/12 6:27 PM

Chr18 such hateful words. Perhaps an apology so that we can all move on.

Conspirator , 6/24/12 9:00 PM

^^^

You think chr18 will apologize for such hateful words? Why would he start now?

I am really disappointed to hear from Ricky that this problem won't be fixed any time soon. I guess they don't care that there will be far less posts on the site. It's a shame, because I enjoy posting here so much.

Nativenewyorker , 6/25/12 12:17 AM

Posting today has been without problems. I guess it will be glitchy again when the volume of posts will rise. Hopefully not too frustrating.

chlorostoma , 6/25/12 12:37 AM

Schatz - Steve Tignor pointed me in the direction of "Querido Rafa". It's a mostly Nadal blog, but alot of tennis related issues are discussed. Great people, I think you'll enjoy.

Maya , 6/25/12 4:01 AM

Just had a look at this site: it's not for me.

Maya: Altogether too verbose and, in spite of being a devout Rafan, I cant be doing with the sycophantic 'groupie' approach which afflicts so many other sites.

I've been hanging out here since mid 2008 and I guess I'm with schatz & 6/24/12 8:11 PM

'I am going to persevere on TT because I like the variety and also because I feel a sense of loyalty to Ricky and Cheryl and most of the posters who have been regularly posting on here.'

ed251137 , 6/25/12 9:58 AM

ed,

I am glad that you are staying here, glitches and all! This site wouldn't be the same without you. That also goes for schatz and all the other great people who I have enjoyed posting with for so long.

Nativenewyorker , 6/25/12 10:11 AM

I would hate to have go anywhere else, its like a little family here and I like it very much!!!

Anyway, cant wait to see Rafa in his first match..........wishing you all the best Rafa in the coming weeks!! Cant wait to see you hoist and BITE that wonderful trophy!!!

VAMOS!!!

Monalysa , 6/25/12 2:39 PM

Thank you Maya - I will check it out.

Good to hear that ed, NNY and Monalysa are going to stick with TT and I am sure all of us will weather this "gremlin" attack. I honestly believe that someone with a grudge is trying to disrupt things here, possibly someone that got banned in the past - this is just a thought because we had those awful spams for a long time too and they were so similar in nature.

Never mind, it will take more than gremlins etc to get rid of us Rafans.

schatz , 6/25/12 3:03 PM

Good luck to Rafa and Ferrero on their first match (the latter will need it more than the other :D

Shireling , 6/25/12 3:10 PM

Ahem schatz...not just Rafans, some of us fans of OTHER players quite like it here too :)

deuce , 6/25/12 6:05 PM

deuce,

Oh sorry to leave you out! You have not been forgotten! I should have added - some great Murray fans! I don't want to forget anyone!

I also couldn't imagine this site without you! That's for sure!

I do agree with schatz that someone with a grudge is trying to disrupt this site. It did happen before when some got banned. I remember the spamming and then when people tried to log in they were told that they were banned. I guess someone has enough knowledge of the technical issues, to try to cause havoc.

But it's not going to get us down. We have survived a lot her. The attack of the Rafa haters and some rabid Fed fans. Yet we are all still here! :)

Good luck Rafa in your first match tomorrow!

Nativenewyorker , 6/25/12 8:35 PM

Are you blind for rabid nadal fans???

KMA , 6/25/12 9:47 PM

^^^^

This makes no sense to me at all. But what else is new.

Nativenewyorker , 6/25/12 11:35 PM

I've heard of conspiracy theories being blown out of proportion, but the theory that a grudgeful, faceless, nameless someone is trying to disrupt this site takes the cake. If I'm not mistaken Fed fans were initially being blames out of jealousy for Nadal winning the FO. What else is new when one considers the source and the pathetic drivel some people write? LOL. I suppose next we'll hear that the powers that be have fixed it so that only Fed fans can post comments.

scoretracker , 6/26/12 5:29 AM

Don't forget Nole's fans too...it's only Fed's fans who are pains in the ass except for some very few.

phoenix , 6/26/12 6:21 AM

Now ed., I've had a word with the organisers and they're very happy for you to stay on the baseline and serve all the time, while I run like a rabbit and go for every ball....absolutely no problem there, am sure my knee replacements will be fine..... They're even happy for you to sit down and serve.
Not taking ANY excuse. Am sure we have a gr8 chance. When are we on?

deuce , 6/26/12 7:55 AM

phoenix, 6/26/12 6:21 AM,

Sorry, of course I include all the Nole fans, too!

Thanks for the reminder! :)

Nativenewyorker , 6/26/12 9:27 AM

All of a sudden the site is fixed by the flick of a switch.

nadline , 6/26/12 9:36 AM

nadline, hope you're right. Meanwhile today's schedule, results etc. would be nice.

deuce , 6/26/12 9:43 AM

No prob NNY...

deuce, you think we will have a need of your sofa today? well, maybe you more than us. ;-)

phoenix , 6/26/12 9:49 AM

I also noticed that the site seems to be working now. Today is the first day that I have been able to sign in without any trouble and all my posts came up with no trouble.

Just in time for Rafa's match tomorrow!

Nativenewyorker , 6/26/12 10:24 AM

We seem to have lift-off. Yesterdays draw and results section was updated during the course of the evening. That's a first!!!!

ed251137 , 6/26/12 10:37 AM

Hopefully 'Live Scoring' and 'Match Results' on the Home Page will follow.

ed251137 , 6/26/12 10:42 AM

Whilst they are at it, they could make it possible to edit posts.

nadline , 6/26/12 12:02 PM

Sorry deuce and all other murray and novak fans - I did not mean to leave you out on purpose and of course this includes any nice fed fans too. My apologies. It is what makes TT more interesting that we have a varied and constant mix of fans.

Scoretracker - theories are fine but we have been experiencing all these problems - fact. I have not been posting on here as long as some of the other people but I do know that these problems started only after certain people were banned - fact. The spam mail was not too disruptive but the latest problems were - fact. You can think what you like that is up to you but do not try to insult people unless you are sure of your facts to the contrary. IMO it is your words that constitute pathetic drivel in this instance.

schatz , 6/26/12 12:43 PM

Apologies accepted schatz and NNY :) We are, after all, a very small but very select group ;)
Sorry phoenix, sofa fully booked as long as Andy is still in Wimbles. Lordy, lordy let's hope we need it well into the second week...but......*sigh* who can tell?

deuce , 6/26/12 1:19 PM

Deuce - we are all part of the family really on TT even though we are the fans of different players. That is how I see it most of the time. When ed was missing for a while it wasn't the same and I feel like that about all the posters on here apart from the unpleasant ones.

Speaking of missing posters; where is Hawkeye?? I know your expertise is not needed at the moment but where are you?

Sorry your sofa is fully booked deuce - I could do with going behind it very soon :)

schatz , 6/26/12 1:36 PM

scoretracker never looks into a mirror. He should.

holdserve , 6/26/12 2:09 PM

deuce, 6/26/12 7:55 AM

Deuce - not going to be able to play Wimby - my physio says to save all me energy for the Olympics but am off to Spain this evening for some extra coaching from this amazing guy in Marbella. Will be back on the 10th in time for us to put in some practice together. Any news on our main competition? Havent seen or heard a dickey bird from either of them recently.

ed251137 , 6/26/12 2:46 PM

schatz@ 1.36, that's such a nice thing to say! And I agree. The vast majority of posters on here are gr8 :)

deuce , 6/26/12 2:47 PM