• Murray getting in his work on the grass

6/18/12 2:50 AM | Johan Lindahl
    Murray getting in his work on the grass Ousted 2011 Queen's club champion Andy Murray is looking on the bright side after his opening loss at this year's edition.

The Scot is getting perhaps more time on the grass from training this week than if he had actually progressed further in the event he won has won twice.

After losing his opening match to Nicolas Mahut, Murray got straight to work with coach Ivan Lendl on the lawns. "I have time to get all the hard work done, but that's the only bonus," the No. 4 told the BBC. "I'll actually spend more time on the grass being out of Queen's than I would have if I was still in it."

Murray admitted: "I would like to have played more matches, but in the past I've done that and it hasn't always translated into the success I want at Wimbledon, which is to win the title."

The hometown hero said he got his first hit at Wimbledon with Lleyton Hewitt on Friday after the Australian was knocked out in west London. "I'm playing exhibition matches on Wednesday and Thursday at Stoke Park. It's a nice facility and they have a good gym. I can spend the day there and get my physical work done"

Murray said that fitness of a different type is key on the grass and getting into match shape requires hard work. "It may be a forgiving surface but because you're staying really low with lots of direction changes and very fine movements, your joints can get quite sore. Similarly, running on a track can make you stiff.

"For endurance I'll get on the bike or versaclimber and then, closer to Wimbledon, my focus will turn to speed work using a bungee rope, ball feeds and specific on-court drills."

Comments

And a young Brit, Kyle Edmund, just took out Gimeno-Travers on Wimby qualies. Wow, just Wow!

deuce , 6/18/12 9:22 PM

And a young Brit, Kyle Edmund, just took out Gimeno-Travers. Wow, just Wow!

deuce , 6/18/12 9:24 PM

Aaah! Still double posting because original doesn't show, someone please fix this!

deuce , 6/18/12 9:26 PM

Yep, takes me 3-4 attempts to sign in successfully.

I find after positing that it can take a minute or two to appear. I've seen it disappear and reappear but it always comes back.

agfmilos , 6/18/12 9:38 PM

Another Brit, Jamie Baker has beaten Donald Young at Eastbourne 61 64.

nadline , 6/18/12 9:56 PM

Hard not to beat Young right now. He's going for Ginepri's record of most consecutive losses on the ATP.

chr18 , 6/18/12 11:14 PM

Please, please prove me wrong, muzz, but I'm less confident in you right now than I've been for longer than I can remember.
Please help me, deuce, but my expectations are so underwhelming I don't even feel the need to sit near a sofa. What's happening to me? I look up and the ceiling has 'QFs' written all over it!
Remind me, deuce, that my record of jinxing muzz means he could go and reach his first wimbie final?
Sorry, muzzateers, just not feeling too +ive right now ...

alex , 6/19/12 1:13 AM

Am feeling "underwhelmed" too alex. Andy's game is clearly in transition at the mo. and seems to be an awful errorfest. However, he's not gonna win a slam until that forehand is sorted so I guess we've got to go on being patient.
Don't know about the quarters, let's see what the draw's like first.

deuce , 6/19/12 8:18 AM

Don't know about the quarters, let's see what the draw's like first.

deuce , 6/19/12 8:18 AM

Hey TT, what have you done with my post. Just wrote deuce a thoughtful 10-liner and ... GONE!

Now I know why you're double posting, deuce.

alex , 6/19/12 7:21 PM

Please sort this out TT it's becoming a heck of an effort to post on here :(

deuce , 6/20/12 8:27 AM

Well, that went straight in, so here's hoping, but the reminder that you can't post straight away afterwards didn't? So...

deuce , 6/20/12 8:28 AM

Still trying to post something, but after I finish and click "send", it's gone!

Nativenewyorker , 6/20/12 8:51 AM

Occupy TT!!!!

That's the only way we're gonna get this problem resolved...................

rafaisthebest , 6/20/12 5:58 PM

Wimbledon seedings announced:

SINGLES SEEDS
1. Novak Djokovic (SRB)
2. Rafael Nadal (ESP)
3. Roger Federer (SUI)
4. Andy Murray (GBR)
5. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)
6. Tomas Berdych (CZE)
7. David Ferrer (ESP)
8. Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)
9. Juan Martin del Potro (ARG)
10. Mardy Fish (USA)
11. John Isner (USA)
12. Nicolas Almagro (ESP)
13. Gilles Simon (FRA)
14. Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
15. Juan Monaco (ARG)
16. Marin Cilic (CRO)
17. Fernando Verdasco (ESP)
18. Richard Gasquet (FRA)
19. Kei Nishikori (JAP)
20. Bernard Tomic (AUS)
21. Milos Raonic (CAN)
22. Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR)
23. Andreas Seppi (ITA)
24. Marcel Granollers (ESP)
25. Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI)
26. Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
27. Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER)
28. Radek Stepanek (CZE)
29. Julien Benneteau (FRA)
30. Andy Roddick (USA)
31. Florian Mayer (GER)
32. Kevin Anderson (RSA)

nadline , 6/20/12 9:03 PM

For those of you who dont know this already, the golden rule is to always hit the'copy' key BEFORE pressing the 'send' button. That way you can then paste your words of wisdom in a new text box when you find you have been logged off or your carefully phrased comment has disappeared into cyber space.

ed251137 , 6/20/12 10:20 PM

The issue has been just getting onto the site! I have had trouble logging on for the last week. Then I try to post something and it vanishes into thin air. I can copy and paste my words somewhere else, but that isn't going to help me get them on here.

Nativenewyorker , 6/21/12 2:44 AM

NNY: I have the opposite problem. I can log on but am logged out every few minutes.

Now the order of play and todays' results have stopped appearing.
Not to mention the Ranking table which has not been updated since last September, the list of tournaments which stops at July 16th, and the ATP calendar showing draws and results is never up to date.

There is also a section called Statistics in the menu bar which has been in the course of development for as long as I can remember.

Time for a complete overhaul of the site!!!!!!!!

ed251137 , 6/21/12 7:07 AM

Interesting interview with Andy:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/alonso-vettel-could-co-exi st-165055531.html

ed251137 , 6/21/12 7:26 AM

ed,

Hey, it's nice to see you here again! I hope that you have recovered and are feeling much better!

I am not having the trouble that you are. Once I try a few times to log in and do get on the site, then I am okay. But when I write posts, they don't come up. Some people's posts are coming up twice and I have had that happen to me, too. This only started since the end of RG. I have never had a problem logging onto this site.

I agree with you that we need a complete overhaul of TT!

Thanks for the link to the interview with Andy.

Nativenewyorker , 6/21/12 10:07 AM

Doing well thanks NNY. A bit wobbly still and need to use a cane when leaving the house but it could have been a lot worse. Off to stay with my sister in sunny Spain for two weeks and will be watching Wimbledon from there.

ed251137 , 6/21/12 11:02 AM

I think I've found a way to prevent double posts appearing. If after hitting 'SEND' nothing seems to happen, try reloading the page or alternatively log off and then relog on and the comment you posted will have appeared.

NB: Dont forget to 'COPY' the comment each time before trying to send it in case the above trick doesn't work for you.

ed251137 , 6/21/12 11:13 AM

In an interview with BBC Sport, Murray said: "Within tennis, a Grand Slam is probably more prestigious.

"But in general, to the whole world, a gold medal is the pinnacle of sport."

rafaisthebest , 6/21/12 5:33 PM

Murray is the flag bearer for GB at the olympics. That's 5 tennis flag bearers for their respective countries: Rafa, Roger, Nole, Andy & Sharapova.

nadline , 6/21/12 6:54 PM

I'm not too sure Andy will be the flag bearer. In his post match interview, they congratulated Nole for being picked for the Serbian Olympic team and he said it was great that so many tennis players had been 'picked' by their countires mentioning Roger, Murray and Sharapova. I'm not sure by 'picked' they meant flag bearer.

I would be very surprised if Murray is the flag bearer with so many other seasoned olympians to choose from.

nadline , 6/21/12 7:12 PM

WOW... UK has a LIST of sport legends... ex and still active...
I am sure that there are many of them who deserves that honor ... not to mean disrespect to Andy...

zare , 6/21/12 7:25 PM

There has been a huge improvement in the way Murray handles interviews. There was a time when he was, to put it kindly, the archetypal taciturn Scotsman. Since Lendl came on the scene he has become is far more eloquent and appears to be handling the build up of pressure and home crowd expectations prior to Wimbledon and the Olympics extremely well.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-Roland-Garros- Wimbledon-2012/Andy-Murray.aspx?utm_source=ATPMailing&utm_medium=email &utm_campaign=ATP%20World%20Tour%20Insider%20#25%20-%20June%2021%20201 2%20(1)

ed251137 , 6/22/12 12:33 AM

Bearing in mind that tennis was only reintroduced as an Olympic sport in 1988 it's a huge boost for tennis worldwide that three countries have honoured their players by choosing them to be the Olympic flag bearers.

ed251137 , 6/22/12 3:23 AM

ed, it's 4 tennis stars - Sharapova is doing it for Russia.

Has Roger really been confirmed as the Swiss flag bearer? He did it in 2008 so I think Stan should do it this time as he is also a gold medallist.

nadline , 6/22/12 10:13 AM

Wimbie draw out. Oh dear.

alex , 6/22/12 4:21 PM

Yeahp, Murray got maybe the worst part of the draw. But hey, it is far from being a nightmare as many UK journals called it. He have K. Anderson and Raonic on his way but Ferrer is not a trouble on grass.

Emiliano55 , 6/22/12 6:37 PM

^^^ one problem though, Muzz likely won't get Ferrer in the QF. More likely that he will have to face yet another little known big server who goes by the name of Del Potro.

Conspirator , 6/22/12 6:52 PM

Meh, Delpo is another player that is not that much of a trouble on grass. So, that being said, he should breeze in the quarters, while the others would be facing Berdych, Isner and Tsonga.

Anyways, Muzz have the easiest quarterfinal rival, but as I said before, he has the most dangerous path to it with K. Anderson and Raonic before that stage.

Emiliano55 , 6/22/12 10:07 PM

Mmm, I think Tipsy is an easier QF matchup ( Fed's qtr, surprise!!!) than Delpo.

Conspirator , 6/22/12 10:22 PM

Huh ? Tipsarevic ? Federer QF match will likely be Isner.
Nalbandian will get past Tipsy in the 1st round.

Look, man, no one is trying to say that Muzz has an easy draw. He has indeed the most dangerous first week, while the others 3 will likely face some danger at their QF matchups. But at THIS stage (QF), I think Muzz has the easiest.

Emiliano55 , 6/22/12 10:35 PM

Trying again to post some thoughts about the draw.

Fed has another cupcake draw, what else is new. Nole has it fairly easy until a possible quarterfinal matchup with Berdy. Murray has the toughest draw of all. Rafa has a decent draw with a possible tough matchup with Tsonga in the quarterfinals.

Nativenewyorker , 6/22/12 11:01 PM

Isner has been homesick in Europe so don't see that happening. Nor will The Ninja take out Tipsy.

Besides Delpo is a tougher out than Isner at this point.

Conspirator , 6/22/12 11:47 PM

Fed has the easiest draw in each and every round up to the semi finals.

Conspirator , 6/22/12 11:54 PM

Fed has the easiest draw amongst the Top 4 in each and every round until the semifinals.

Conspirator , 6/22/12 11:58 PM

I've got a hankering for some doublemint gum.

Conspirator , 6/23/12 12:03 AM

Nalbandian will take out Tipsy in the 1st round, mark my words Conspirator. Yoy wanna bet ?

And yes, Federer probably got the easiest draw at this Wimbledon. It was about time, he was getting kind of difficult draws lately at the GS.

Emiliano55 , 6/23/12 1:17 AM

When did Federer ever get tough draws? He always gets cupcake draws at all GS especially at Wimby.
Every year at Wimby, they give Fed the easiest followed by AndyM.
Fed however has been making heavy weather of his cupcake draws.
This year Fed got easiest as usual but Muzza got the toughest. Probably with Muzza's recent form, the fixing guys thought it not worthwhile to waste an easy draw on him.
He might surprise everyone by winning it all.

holdserve , 6/23/12 2:28 AM

I like Cilic's chances against Raonic. He may take out Raonic and face Murray in the fourth round. If Murray's back is an issue, then I think we may see a Cilic/Delpo or Cilic/Ferrer QF. Both Raonic and Delponare big hitters but can't move well on grass, while Cilic and Ferrer move well on grass. Both Cilic and Ferrer are playing good tennis on grass this time so I like their chances against those two big hitters. I can't imagine Raonic not having a single breakpoint against Fed at Halle. How's he going to win without going to tie break all the time?

luckystar , 6/23/12 4:23 AM

Dont know why u guys always discount Delpo's ability on the grass. The guy is really talented and moves really well than his height would allow. Remember how he stretched Rafa last year in R16. And Cilic, Raonic, Murray and Ferrer are not Rafa. I definitely believe his game would have got much better this year. And he is more consistent and a much safer bet than Cilic and Raonic ( or even Ferrer). I just hope he is injury free for next 2 weeks. Vamos Delpo!!

abhirf , 6/23/12 4:54 AM

Don't forget Delpo suffered a bad fall last year during that Rafa match and it affected him during the NA hard court season thereafter. I won't consider a guy who could suffer a bad fall on a surface a good mover on that surface. Likewise for Raonic, who even had to go for surgery after his fall at Wimbledon last year.

It's a fourth round match for that Delpo/Rafa so the grass was more or less 'seasoned' so no excuse for a bad fall other than bad movement. Delpo did try to take the initiative to move forward to the net at Wimbledon, why? Precisely because he knows his lack of movement and would be slow to react to a dropshot so he has to move forward in his own terms.

luckystar , 6/23/12 5:05 AM

^^^ A lot can change in an year's time. I didnt said that Delpo is a great mover but just mentioned that he may have improved his movement. It's the low bounce that bothers him more. That also would not be much of a problem now due to the high bounce offered nowadays. And he has a much better game than Raonic or Cilic. Only a top 4 guy can stop him when he's on song.

abhirf , 6/23/12 5:20 AM

They didn't change the surface this year my dear. They change it since 2002, to a harder surface, so this ball bouncing higher stuff happened since they changed to a harder surface. I believe the difference is in the ball they used. Also slices worked better on grass so Delpo had a hard time dealing with it being so tall himself. Compared to Cilic, Cilic is a better player on grass, they haven't met on grass. If you've watched how Cilic played this Queens tournament, you'll notice how quick and how elegantly he moves on it, Delpo is no where near him. Delpo relies heavily on his serve and his big forehand, top players can make him moves around and expose his weaknesses. Cilic seems quite a good returner of serves too. Cilic did beat Isner on clay this season, I'm more than impressed by Cilic so far.

luckystar , 6/23/12 6:24 AM

Yeah as if Delpo hadnt done anything great this year. He has made to the Qf's in his last 2 GS appearances and dont be surprised if he makes one here too. And we havent seen him on Grass this season yet. So i wont get into much speculation about it. And overall Delpo is a better player than Cilic both mentally and physically.

And the bounce at Wimby has to do more with the change in the ball. But there's also a change in the nature of the grass. The groundsman said that the new surface allows the ball to bounce more.

And more than the movement, you need to have a game that can hurt your opponent. Remember Tsonga and Berdych against Fed here at Wimby, or Nole at FO. Delpo is capable of doing so. Dont forget he has a slam under his belt (though it was on a HC). But the guy is still young and he can improve a lot from here. Hope he remains injury free.

abhirf , 6/23/12 6:45 AM

Tignor has gone for a Fedal final this time. Interesting.

abhirf , 6/23/12 6:50 AM

As I said, the grass and ground had been changed since 2002, you talked as if it's being changed just this year! And you talked as if Cilic is an old man; if Delpo can improve so does Cilic. Delpo is a better player than Cilic, just like Murray is a better player than Ferrer, but Murray still lost to Ferrer on clay, see the reasoning there?

luckystar , 6/23/12 7:06 AM

Ok. We will see. If they meet, Delpo will beat Cilic just like he beat Berdych at FO ( where so many discounted him). I will put my case to rest.

abhirf , 6/23/12 7:38 AM

I'm not surprised that Berdych lost to Delpo on clay because:
1) Berdych had been playing non stopped this clay season, silly IMO;
2) Delpo is clearly the better player on clay, better movement on clay too; don't forget he beat Murray on clay at Madrid in 2009, the only time he beat Murray.

On grass I'll bet that Berdych will beat Delpo, it's all about how good one is on a particular surface as long as their game aren't that much different in level.

luckystar , 6/23/12 8:04 AM

I wrote a nice post discussing Delpo and Cilic, but it never came up. I don't know why this keeps happening. I don't like having to sign in over and over and then when I write something it may show up later or not at all.

Nativenewyorker , 6/23/12 9:00 AM

Dear NNY - try this when posting.
Type out your post.
Highlight the text.
Right click on the mouse and choose "copy".

Then if it does not appear the first time you can do ctrl & v and it will paste it into the box again so you can try to send it again. Keep pressed on "send" for a second or two at least as that seems to help sometimes.

This works for me, so good luck.

schatz , 6/23/12 2:51 PM

NNY - another thing that works sometimes is when you press send and nothing happens, just press send again - this has worked for me too. I know it is frustrating to even get logged in at the moment but we rafa fans need to beat the gremlins no matter what :)

schatz , 6/23/12 3:42 PM

luckystar , 6/23/12 8:04 AM

You were singing the same song during RG and constantly predicted for a Berdy-Nadal final but that didn't happen but no lessons and same story again..imo Delpo will win.

KMA , 6/23/12 4:43 PM

Dear KMA, this is grass we're talking about.

Berdych did play well this clay season. I've already stated the reasons why I think Berdych lost to Delpo, care to read my previous posts above?? Delpo had some injuries after Madrid, so I foreseen him not doing well at RG. Berdych had himself to blame for playing the World Group Team event and so had no time to rest before the FO.

My take: Berdych could take out Delpo at RG if he's fresh and Delpo had an injury. As it turned out, Delpo wasn't much affected by his injury but Berdych had suffered from overplaying. A 100% Berdych vs a100% Delpo on clay, Delpo would win, just like a 100% Delpo vs a100% Fed on clay, Delpo would win. A 100% Delpo vs a 100% Rafa on clay? Rafa wins of course! I think that's not too difficult to understand isn't it, KMA?

luckystar , 6/23/12 6:48 PM

Also Berdych was stretched by Anderson in his previous round before meeting Delpo, that had added to his fatigue. If Berdych could beat Delpo at Madrid, I don't see why Berdych won't have any chances of beating Delpo at RG, especially an injured Delpo, even when I think Delpo is a better player on red clay.

luckystar , 6/23/12 6:59 PM

schatz,

Thanks for your helpful words. I can only sign in using the login at the top of the page. Sometimes my posts come up, sometimes they don't.

I just wish they could fix this problem.

Nativenewyorker , 6/23/12 8:27 PM

100% Delpo vs a100% Fed on clay, Delpo would win
luckystar , 6/23/12 6:48 PM

Are you sure ..any logic?? have he beaten him on clay or who is better clay player??

luckystar , 6/23/12 6:59 PM
i think 100% delpo vs 100% Berdy on grass, Delpo would win. I don't remember if they have faced each other on grass before.

KMA , 6/23/12 10:43 PM

So KMA, do you think that Delpo was at 100% in that FO QF against Fed?? Still a hobbling Delpo was able to go two sets to love up against Fed, what more when Delpo was at 100%? fed was lucky to survive that QF and yet KMA was trying to argue that 100% Delpo < 100% Fed?

So Berdych and Delpo have never met on grass, but I can't make a guess and say that I THINK Berdych would win, judging by both their past results on grass? And you're basing your judgement about Fed vs Delpo on their past results on clay, even when it's obvious that a hobbling Delpo was good enough to almost beat Fed in straight sets when they actually met?

luckystar , 6/24/12 2:09 AM

luckystar , 6/24/12 2:09 AM

In 2009, Delpo was 100% and in form and Federer still survived & this year when federer was in terrible form at FO and still survived.You just picked his worst FO performance to prove that he would have been beaten federer if he had 100%

KMA , 6/24/12 2:47 AM

KMA, I'm of course talking about current scenario. What's wrong with you, still thinking that Fed is as good as before, when clearly from the recent FO, he's no longer the same player, at least on clay. Can't you accept the fact now, that Delpo when not injured, is going to beat this Fed on clay? He's more than capable of doing so, just like I think he's capable of beating Berdych on clay when he's at 100%.

Now on grass, I said Berdych is better than Delpo, because Berdych has really improved these two years and he's in his prime now, playing some of his best tennis and he does move better than Delpo on grass. Berdych's forehand is not that far off Delpo's, if he's performing at his best (please refer to his Beijing Open last year and see how scarily good his forehand was then), he also has a big serve, and he has also improved his net game (very impressive against Murray at MC this year). For me, it's not unreasonable to think that Berdych can beat Delpo on grass.

luckystar , 6/24/12 5:00 AM

Haha.... so many theories ....
NOLE has the EASIEST DRAW!
He won't play with Djokovic in SF or finale!!!

zare , 6/24/12 9:56 AM

^:-) but he might have to play Fed
and very very likely Nadal
the latter being a tougher opponent than NOLE (imo)

chlorostoma , 6/24/12 8:59 PM

This Murray thread has completly veered off of topic. It has veered off so completely that we now have a conglomeration of comments pertaining to who can beat whom on grass. And, as per usual, Fed is brought into the scenario, with the usual snide remarks on his age and the usual enumeration of his deficiencies.

Has tennis become so one-tracked that this eternal battle of 'my guy is better than your guy' keeps on spinning day after day and hour after hour? The comments posted do not give way to any fruitful discussions, but only keep on perpetuating a war, which will never end. Even if Fed were to retire tomorrow, I doubt that his detractors will stop with their degrading comments. Some atre so obsessed with their fave winning, and are not satisfied with the 'W', but the 'W' has to be in straight sets to boot. Guys and gals, a win is a win, no matter which side shows up on the coin flip. So, be content with the 'W'.

Are some of you even aware that there's a whole lot of tennis being played, but from things here, one would never know. And, it's not for the lack of effort on the part of the writers, who do their best to incorporate other players into the discussions, however, the number of comments on those articles tell the true story. Very few seem to be interested in the sport of tennis per se, just their fave. How sad is that?

Do any of you know that Ferrer has won a second title on grass, or that Roddick has hit two milestones in his career, or that Tsonga has a broken finger and will not pose a problem for Nadal, and Delpo is struggling with knee problems? I doubt it. Anyway, don't let me stop you doing what it is that you do best, which is build Nadal up, make excuses for his losses, and degrade Federer and other players. It would be nice to have a good discussion on tennis, the sport, but I doubt that's a possibility here.

scoretracker , 6/25/12 1:35 AM