• Nadal begins in Indian wells with routine win

3/11/12 10:32 PM | Ricky Dimon
    Nadal begins in Indian wells with routine win Rafael Nadal wins his first match since the Australian Open, easing past Leonardo Mayer in straight sets on Sunday in Indian Wells. Next up for Nadal is fellow Spaniard Marcel Granollers.

Back in action for the first time since the Australian Open, Rafael Nadal kicked off his BNP Paribas Open campaign with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Leonardo Mayer. Nadal advanced to the third round after one hour and 15 minutes.

To say Nadal showed no early signs of rust after more than a month off would be an understatement. The second-ranked Spaniard broke for 2-0 when Mayer struck and errant forehand and another break came at 3-0 when Mayer double-faulted. Mayer finally got the scoreboard with a hold for 1-5, but Nadal served out the opening set with ease one game later.

It was all but over when Nadal broke at love to take a 2-1 lead in the second. Once again Mayer folded on break point with an expensive double-fault. The 78th-ranked Argentine eventually survived two deuce service games to pull within 3-4, but Nadal held then broke at love to finish off the proceedings in style.

Nadal was unbelievably dominant on serve the entire way. Indian Wells' No. 2 seed won 26 of 27 first-serve points and dropped a total of four service points in eight games. He will go up against compatriot Marcel Granollers on Tuesday.

Comments

"To say Nadal showed no early signs of rust after more than a month off would be an understatement."

I just made that very point on the preview thread.

See, Roger. Rafa can complete a 3 setter in under 2 hrs. Lol.

Vamos Rafa

nadline , 3/12/12 9:06 AM

Yes, and believe it or not, I timed his every serve and he's always within that 25 seconds limit. I also note that he didn't go to the towel that often, especially not during his own service games. He mostly towel off while waiting for his opponent to serve. Hopefully, he can stick with that and still plays well, going forward.

luckystar , 3/12/12 12:53 PM

TT is very quiet these days.

nadline , 3/12/12 8:09 PM

I thought Rafa was serving more quickly in that match. Good for him! Don't give Fed any ammunition and make this into an issue.

I am happy with the way Rafa looked. I just don't want to read too much into it until I see him against someone who can really give him a challenge. His serving was great. That was what impressed me the most.

Oh and yes, I agree that TT is very quiet these days.

Nativenewyorker , 3/12/12 11:15 PM

nadkine and NNY: Rafa fans are upset/quiet cos he keeps losing to Nole
Andy fans are upset/quiet cos he can't make that final push.. and will he ever
Fed fans are upset/quiet cos he's 31 this year...and come on..
And Nole fans are in a permanent alcoholic haze of delight and can't focus on that old keyboard.
Am sure this will all change soon...d'yerhearme Mr Murray?

deuce , 3/13/12 7:20 AM

deuce, we keep our fingers crossed that things will change soon.

nadline , 3/13/12 7:36 AM

Nadal/M.Lopez beat Dolgo/Malisse 64 63. Lopez/Granollers narrowly lost to the Bryan Bros 15-13 in the final set.

nadline , 3/13/12 7:55 AM

deuce, 3/13/12 7:20 AM,

Have I told you lately that I love you? This post was the greatest! It got me laughing so hard! You really said it all and, needless to say, I do hope that things change very soon!

nadline,

Thanks for posting the great news about Rafa and Marc defeating the defending champions! Well done!

Nativenewyorker , 3/13/12 8:38 AM

Deuce: Definitely a classic! it's goes straight into the archive file for my favourite quotes from you.

A bit off topic but right now am enjoying watching Harrison giving GGL a hard time. This young man is becoming seriously impressive.

ed251137 , 3/13/12 9:18 AM

Why thank you fans :) *waving*
ed: so agree,really really like Harrison. He's got lots of variety, moves really well, bags of talent, bags of guts. Top 10 in two to three years I reckon.

deuce , 3/13/12 9:30 AM

Oh I didn't get to watch that GGL vs Harrison match. Was GGL playing the sane way or worse, or was Harrison that good?

luckystar , 3/13/12 10:04 AM

GGL wasn't as dynamic as he was against Murray but that is not to take anything away from Harrison who, I thought, was very impressive.

nadline , 3/13/12 10:20 AM

I detect a nascent group of fans emerging for this young player. Only problem guys is he could be a serious contender to cause upsets for our favs.

ed251137 , 3/13/12 10:51 AM

^^^Ed, Harrison is good, but he is not that good. Not yet, anyway.

nadline , 3/13/12 11:42 AM

Thanks nadline. Harrison threatening the top guys? Not for another three years at least. Remember how Fed, Nole and Murray dispatched him readily?

To me, Rafa's batch is the most outstanding, followed by Fed's batch. This Raonic's batch? I'm not too sure, as none of them has made it to top ten yet, when they're either approaching 20yo or in early 20's.

luckystar , 3/13/12 12:16 PM

Well Rafa did say himself there are always younger players coming through and no one is at he top indefenately. This is off topic but Im going to post it anyway. There was a clip in a scottish newspaper this morning :- AndyM was out for a romantic meal with his girlfriend and kept getting txts from someone posing as a love rival, "Andy ur looking gr8 tonight, pity ur girlfriends here". After a load of txts and excuses from Andy he realised he'd been spotted out by Rafa. Andys thinking up a prank to get him back :)

mojo , 3/13/12 12:59 PM

^^^This sounds like a spoof to me.

nadline , 3/13/12 1:45 PM

Nadline and Lucky: Didnt intend to imply he was an immediate threat to the top tier but out of all the younger players to me he has the most potential to become a fully fledged champion - plus he has more personality than the rest of his bunch put together.

ed251137 , 3/13/12 2:44 PM

Lol! Maybe Rafa having a windup?

mojo , 3/13/12 4:39 PM

Lol! Maybe Rafa having a windup? Anyhow it was quite funny :)

mojo , 3/13/12 4:41 PM

Didnt mean to post that twice.

mojo , 3/13/12 4:56 PM