• Djokovic destroys Lorenzi in Melbourne opener

1/17/12 4:32 AM | Cheryl Murray
    Djokovic destroys Lorenzi in Melbourne opener Serbian world No. 1 Novak Djokovic was stellar in his first match of the 2012 Australian Open.

Italy's Paolo Lorenzi put in an effort in this match, but he simply could not make a dent in Novak Djokovic's game.

For a brief moment, Lorenzi was actually ahead in this first-round encounter. The Italian secured a service break straight off, but after going up 2-1 the Italian did not win another game in the entire match.

Every aspect of Djokovic's game clicked. The Serb was good off the ground, at the net and on serve. Djokovic even hit a tweener and some lovely drop shots.

The Serb will take on Santiago Giraldo of Colombia in the second round.

Comments

Djokovic's got some potentially tough matches towards the final and personally I don't think he is going to make it. He has got a losing record against 2 players in his draw and a almost equal record against Murray and Ferrer. Roddick has beaten 4 out of the last 5 meetings (5-3 record overall). (Rod is not in form currently though.) Djoko could meet Ferrer in the quarters who trails by one (5-6). In the semis Tsonga is likely to face the winner of Murray and Monfils. Djokovic has beaten Murray 6 times vs 4. Djokovic has won the first 4. Both Murray and Ferrer has won their last outing. (Djok sited injury however in both) If Murray gets past Monfils in the quarters he will meet the danger man Tsonga. Murray has a great record against Tsonga (5-1) but Djokovic has lost 5 and won 4 against Tsonga and Tsonga is motivated and in good form and I have a feeling it is the winner of the quarter finals between Murra and Tsonga who will end up in the final against Federer.

Enron , 1/17/12 10:08 AM

I'm not sure it's Fed, judging by all the shankings I've seen from
his first match. The higher ranked opponents would force more shankings from
Fed.

luckystar , 1/17/12 10:37 AM

Enron, that is one of the most stupid things I have ever read on here. First of all, when was the last time Djokovic played against Roddick? 2 years ago? Djokovic is a completely different player. Andy does not stand a chance if they meet. These head to head records are completely irrelevant. Djokovic was 7-16 against Nadal coming into 2011. That didn't stop him from beating him 6 times in a row, including twice on clay. I like Murray, but first he needs to get to semifinals. Even then, he has his habits of choking. How you can consider Murray the favourite to beat Nole, is beyond me. As for Ferrer, yes Djokovic lost to him in London, but he was tired and injured. But at the Abu Dhabi, he destroyed him 6-2, 6-1. I'm not saying it would be like that again, but surely, Djokovic is the favourite?

Oh, and no way Federer gets past Nadal. If they both get there, I pick Nadal in three over Roger.

nemanja230690 , 1/17/12 10:51 AM

I read on some other forums that surface are slower than normal AO standards many top players confirm it after practice hit (Navratilova termed it slower than clay after yesterday practice on courts) but some people are also mentioning that surface are little bit low bouncing particularly Rod Laver Arena.

mani4Tennis , 1/17/12 12:14 PM

Well done Nole... just a warming up for bigger fishes...
Enron... Roddick???? where were you last two three years...
AJDE NOLE.... THIRD ONE WAITS FOR'YA ...!

zare , 1/17/12 1:21 PM

This match means nothing.

Let's see how djokovic fares when he plays raonic or ferrer?
Will still win, for sure, but it won't be this easy.

And in a possible semi against murray might lose a couple of sets.

Overall though I think djokovic in the final is a solid pick.

bleck , 1/17/12 2:27 PM

Djokovic will meet Nadal in the final. I'm sure about it.

Nadal's draw is a real joke, plus I don't see Federer beating him in the semis. So Nole-Rafa is my pick for this Slam final.

Emiliano55 , 1/17/12 3:10 PM

Djokovic is looking scary good...he will win this slam...bookmark it!!

atul1985 , 1/17/12 3:19 PM

Well isn't Fed's draw a joke too?? Why single out Rafa? Compare Berdych vs Fish, who's a more dangerous opponent? Compare Berdych with Delpo, based on current form, got to be Berdych, since he won the Hopman Cup while Delpo got knocked out in the QF of Sydney. Isner as a R4 opponent vs a Dolgo or Tomic??

The top three guys' draw are all real joke, emiliano55. Only Murray has a tougher draw.

luckystar , 1/17/12 3:22 PM

Federer has Tomic or Dolgo, Delpo, Fish. Of course, I don't see them beating him..

But Nadal, c'mon... old guns like Nalby, Haas, Ljubicic, Isner and the only threat is Berdych.

Of course, they are both easy. But to me, Federer's is an easy one. And NAdal's a joke. Simple as that.

And don't talk to me like if I were a Roger fan becasue I'm not fan of either Nadal or Federer.

Btw, Djokovic doesn't have an really easy draw... Ferrer could be a real threat later.

But yeah, the only really difficult one is Murray's draw.

Emiliano55 , 1/17/12 3:40 PM

really great Novak. I hope your champion

arrogantcheatNadal , 1/17/12 3:49 PM

Emilano, Rafa has the old guards but Fed has the young guns. However they both do not meet all of the old guards or all of the young guns. Their threat will be the one they'll meet in the QF, so I don't see Rafa's any easier than Fed's. Ferrer a threat to Nole? How many times Ferrer beat Nole on the hard courts? For Nole, the real threat is still the other top four guys.

luckystar , 1/17/12 3:58 PM