• Nadal returns to action at Rogers Cup

8/8/11 6:49 PM | Ricky Dimon
    Nadal returns to action at Rogers Cup Rafael Nadal finds himself in an unfamiliar position this week as the No. 2 seed in Montreal. He is in a section of the draw that also includes Tomas Berdych, Fernando Verdasco, and Gilles Simon.

Rafael Nadal will take the court for the first time since Wimbledon when he begins his U.S. Open Series at the Rogers Cup. Having been overtaken in the rankings by Novak Djokovic at the All-England Club, Nadal is the No. 2 seed in Montreal.

The second-ranked Spaniard will play his first match against either Ivan Dodig or Jeremy Chardy. Dodig has cooled off after a blistering start to the year and Chardy is mired in a major slump, so Nadal should cruise. He could then face either countryman Fernando Verdasco or Janko Tipsarevic in round three.

On the other side of the bracket's fourth quarter, Tomas Berdych and Gilles Simon are on a collision course for the third round. Both men, however, will be hard-pressed to make it that far. Berdych may have to kick off his week against Alexandr Dolgopolov, while Simon faces a tough opener against qualifier Philipp Petzschner.

One of the marquee matchups in this section features a contrast in styles between Ivo Karlovic and Juan Monaco. The winner will go up against either Simon or Petzschner in round two.

Comments

"Rafael Nadal finds himself in an unfamiliar position this week as the No. 2 seed in Montreal."

Really?.......................wasn't he #2 for like 3 years behind Roger at one time? Surely he must have been seeded #2 at Montreal at some point during those years........

rafaisthebest , 8/8/11 7:45 PM

Maybe it's unfamiliar to be No 2 to Djokovic.

nadline , 8/8/11 8:01 PM

he is still not confident regarding his foot according to some reports i read....don't have my expectations high....a semi would be an achievement

vrael , 8/8/11 8:34 PM

yeah, I would say "unfamiliar"

Date Singles Doubles
12.07.2010 1 71
05.07.2010 1 71
21.06.2010 1 72
14.06.2010 1 73
07.06.2010 1 69

RickyDimon , 8/8/11 9:45 PM

I wouldn't give up on Rafa simply because he lost in 5 finals to the same player this season, that means that he's made 8 finals already out of 11 tournaments. Let's not even mention his bout of flu and injury during 2 of the three losses.

It defies logic to have higher expectations of players who haven't done half as well as Rafa so far this year. Apart from Djokovic, Rafa has achieved the most and they are the only 2 players who have won GS so far.

As for the foot injury, it seems to me like an answer to a question by the press and I feel he was being cautious, I don't think it was a statement put out by his team, but the internet roll it out at every opportunity. I don't think losing in the doubles has any bearing on how he'll perform in the singles. I would have been more worried if he had pulled out of the doubles that would have indicated something wrong with his fitness.

nadline , 8/9/11 3:40 PM

"I would have been more worried if he had pulled out of the doubles that would have indicated something wrong with his fitness..."

@ Nadline,
Ergo, you won't be rolling out this lack of fitness excuse if he loses in this tournament.....
Correct?

Sosueme , 8/9/11 4:01 PM

I'm not giving up on Rafa, it's just that I don't expect him to solve the Nole puzzle so soon, especially when, like we know, he had his illness and injury early this year that might have affected his own confidence, and cut short his time for working on improving his game. I don't expect much from Rafa this year, but that doesn't mean that I'm giving up on Rafa. As I've mentioned, he has to play wisely to save his body and maximize his chances for winning.

luckystar , 8/9/11 4:04 PM

@Sosueme , 8/9/11 4:01 PM

What if I do, will you sue me?

nadline , 8/9/11 4:54 PM

Lack of fitness is a legitimate way to lose in tournaments so why would it be considered as an excuse?! If Rafa loses due to lack of fitness, it means the player on the opposite side is more fit and therefore better on the given day...I know Rafa haters are keen to see him lose and judging by their comments those poor creatures have already started to celebrate Rafa's early exit...what a strange world this is...

natashao , 8/9/11 5:06 PM

There are only two types of tennis fans, the Rafa fans and the anti-Rafa fans. Fans of all other players join in unison to bash Rafa at every opportunity. He must have something that they wish their player had.

Strange world indeed, natashao.

nadline , 8/9/11 5:19 PM

@Nadline,

Yeah Baby,
I'll have your b-hind in court for some Sweet Sweet Litty-Gi-Shaun!
The court of `Sosueme` that is.

Sosueme , 8/9/11 5:22 PM

Sosueme - That was vulgar ....

I mean losing doubles, whats big deal? I think its good, hell get more rest and not be a spent force by playing too much

Any recent news on the foot?

BTW I noticed Rafa is now only 1100 pts behnd Nole. I know 500 got added of Barcelona, but how did the balance 500 get made up?

sanju , 8/9/11 5:26 PM

sanju, they have dropped Nole's 295 points for DC.

There was 1885 points between them up to 8th August, less Rafa 500 points for Barca and Nole's 295 for DC = 1090 points now between them.

I am surprised that they have presented Nole with the No 1 trophy half way through the season because it is possible though not probable that he will be overtaken by the end of the year.

nadline , 8/9/11 5:41 PM

"Lack of fitness is a legitimate way to lose in tournaments so why would it be considered as an excuse...."

Natashao, it is indeed, so what?
The comments were specifically for Nadline not in general, context is everything.
And no I don't want to see Rafa out in the first round ect, good grief!
There's only Rafa and Anti Rafa fans?!?
Come on Nadline, that's an absurdly paranoid & solipsistic statement,
Calm down ladies...
Oh & Sanju sorry for being `vulgar` but it was actually a joke,
And anyway, you were not meant to interpret it THAT way, ha-ha!

Sosueme , 8/9/11 5:49 PM

Sos, it's always a question of degrees, you may not want to see Rafa lose in the 1st round but you would like to see him lose at some stage - be honest.

Everyone else's fans gang up on Rafa for some reason.

nadline , 8/9/11 5:58 PM

I think they do present the no.1 trophy to any new no.1, regardless of whether he'll lose it anytime soon. I remember in 2008 when Rafa became no.1 for the first time after the Olympics, he was presented with the no.1 trophy in the next ATP masters event, ie in Madrid. There's still chances of Fed overtaking Rafa for the no.1 ranking then, especially at the year end TMC which Rafa missed because of injury.

luckystar , 8/9/11 6:20 PM

Oh FFS,
I am being honest,
The only time I want to see Puss N Boots lose anything is when he plays Andy, because because because....
Im a Muzzy supporter!
So Sue Me on that one won't you.
Similarly, you always want Andy to win unless he's playing Raffington of-course.
Don't you now.....

Sosueme , 8/9/11 6:21 PM

Sos, what does FFS mean?

nadline , 8/9/11 6:27 PM

@Nadline

It means `For Fridays Sake` Dear,

Now back to the discussion, its true of-course that you want to see Andy win, win & win unless it's against Rafa..
Isn't it?

Sosueme , 8/9/11 6:47 PM

No, it means, fuckingly foolish Sosueme and I am ready to be sued by this bastard.

iluvandy , 8/9/11 6:50 PM

@Sosueme , 8/9/11 6:47 PM
It means `For Fridays Sake` Dear,

Is it a well known saying? I've never heard it before.

Of course I would like Andy to win everytime Rafa is not involved, why wouldn't I? It's just that non-Rafans tend to want to see him fall in every match.

nadline , 8/9/11 7:03 PM

Iluvandy!

What an unexpected pleasure!
But I thought I drove you away because I was so nasty and youre such a sweet Andy Muwway fan,
Awww!
And Im so bad!
But youre back now, its all that matters isnt it, and I'm SO sorry!
Of-course you never left did you, as this is clearly an alternate Identity of some character who posts here regularly already, but who is it?
Can't say who it is for certain, although its clearly someone deranged that's probably been locked in their parent's basement....BUT!
I sure know who my money's on...
And no, I wont sue you (you're not worth the phone call let alone the cash), but you should be banned for the liar that you are...

Sosueme , 8/9/11 7:13 PM

"It's just that non-Rafans tend to want to see him fall in every match..."

@Nadline,

Well that's not me is it?
And how do you know what non rafa fans think?
I don't even criticise him (I wouldnt dare here, even if I wanted to, ha-ha!) and my posts attest to that.
Although I criticize some of his fans.
In fact looking at a lot of the posts here I can safely say I have the virtually no agenda by comparison.
Being a Muzzy fan immunizes one from these `difficulties`.
I mean what do you want me to do?
Go on about how wonderful he is all the time until you're certain I'm not against him?
Look, Lets bury the hatchet Nadlie, but allow ourselves to disagree also.
As we will quite often Im sure.....

Sosueme , 8/9/11 7:34 PM

My God the hate some poster(nadalettes show on this site! It is not just against Federer but even against Djoker. He got a trofee for being the 25 th #1 in the men tennis era. It has nothing to do with Nadal or winning the year end #1. The hate and prejudice just shows through the postings and of course the ignorance.

Sienna , 8/9/11 7:58 PM

I mean what do you want me to do?
Sosueme , 8/9/11 7:34 PM

Yes Please!!!

Actually I enjoy the banter and I also accept that we don't all see eye to eye on a lot of things so I'm happy to have a banter with anyone providing it doesn't end up in personal attacks and abuse. I try not to engage with people who are looking for confrontation.

nadline , 8/9/11 8:13 PM

Is it a well known saying? I've never heard it before.

nadline, 8/9/11 7:03 PM

Lol, nadline. replace friday with another word and that's what FFS stands for.

mriiidula , 8/9/11 8:58 PM

mriii, I was only teasing Sos to see if (s)he would have the nerve to spell it out. Lol

nadline , 8/9/11 9:37 PM

It was a cowardly attempt to bait Sosueme into posting something that could have gotten her banned. I know the Rafans want this site all to themselves but that's pretty low indeed. I'm glad Sosueme didn't take the bait.

numero , 8/9/11 11:43 PM

Oh goodness, the tournament has barely started, yet the hatefest against Rafa is already in full force! Vulgarity is in full display and tastelessness is the order of the day!

Rafa has yet to even hit a ball in his first singles match! I shudder to think how it will escalate once he actually gets on the court for his second round match.

Nativenewyorker , 8/10/11 12:20 AM

Numero, it was she-wolf sosueme who brought up FFS so why is Nadline the coward? More like she-wolf is the coward for not having the spine to spell it out but to weasel out of it instead with some lame lie about what it actually means. We know Fed tards like yourself want this site all to yourself but don't hold your breath. If she gets banned, it's because she got herself banned. Pathetic attempt to want to blame Nadline for it.

jean , 8/10/11 4:01 AM

numero , 8/9/11 11:43 PM

Sos got the joke, apparently, you didn't. (S)he wasn't stupid enough to spell it out and she responded accordingly.

nadline , 8/10/11 8:26 AM